New product announcement - GW Mica 'B' van

Fishoutofwater

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/07/2023 at 22:41, Garethp8873 said:

I did ask today if there were any updates as to the MICA vans.

My reply was "We should have renders to show soon."

Still nothing to see on their stand at the Gaydon show today although they did say it would have a highly detailed underframe and their release will be Summer '24.

Edited by gwrrob
we've never had it so good.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/10/2023 at 11:13, gwrrob said:

Still nothing to see on their stand at the Gaydon show today although they did say it would have a highly detailed underframe and their release will be Summer '24.

Summer '24 yes but which century? 

I'll get me coat 

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

There's a photo on the HMRS site of X9 no. W105815 in BR livery in use for carrying bananas. Note the Jamaica Red Label logo pasted on.

https://hmrs.org.uk/-aep804--8t-insul-meat-br-w105815---part-e82652-in-use-as-banana-vans-f3r.html

I'm wondering if this MICA at Snow Hill in 1962 could be a TEVAN conversion.

https://warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh2562.htm

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 24/03/2023 at 12:04, Pteremy said:

Has anyone come across a photo of a Mica B in use for meat traffic in BR days? I have yet to find one in the obvious places to look. 

I have managed to track down a couple of references from old RMweb threads.

The first is a Mica B at St Erth in 1960. This is on page 113 of Welch's 'Western steam in Devon and Cornwall'. It isn't a close up shot but it is clear enough to see that it still has end roof vents, 2 handrails on the ends, the end steps (including the latterly added central one at the top) and is in a relatively clean white livery. In a different thread there is a suggestion that the St Ives Branch generated traffic for other types of refrigerated van, possibly fish.

Update: there is an article in GW Journal 97 which says that during the 1950s two traders in St Ives sent fish away by rail. The article mentions a Bloater attached to the rear of a midday passenger train. But perhaps insulated vans were also used at other times, particularly as the Bloaters were withdrawn over the course of the decade.

There is also a reference to a Flickr photograph showing Mica Bs in a freight with BR built meat vans passing Aintree station en route to Bankfield Goods Yard. This is dated to 1957. Try as might I have not managed to track the actual photograph down.

Edited by Pteremy
Additional information
  • Like 2