New product announcement - GW Mica 'B' van

Fishoutofwater

• RMweb Gold

This in particular made me chuckle...

Picture this: the sleek and sturdy exterior of the van, crafted with precision and painted in the classic GWR livery, rolling down the tracks like a beast on a mission. 

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

KR Models have posted a CAD image on Facebook, hope it’s okay to repost here. 

image.png.176541d56a5ebbb27e56a9e17d8a7364.png

It’s a slightly odd CAD image in my (admittedly amateur) opinion. The body is mostly definitely a 3D printing STL file displayed in Fusion 360. That’s why it’s all made of triangles, that’s what a STL file is. So it makes the ends and roof look very odd as the detail looks distorted. But the chassis seems to be a regular CAD file,  no triangles there! All together a slightly odd image to post, not what you’d usually see from a Manufacturer. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, nightstar.train said:

KR Models have posted a CAD image on Facebook, hope it’s okay to repost here. 

image.png.176541d56a5ebbb27e56a9e17d8a7364.png

It’s a slightly odd CAD image in my (admittedly amateur) opinion. The body is mostly definitely a 3D printing STL file displayed in Fusion 360. That’s why it’s all made of triangles, that’s what a STL file is. So it makes the ends and roof look very odd as the detail looks distorted. But the chassis seems to be a regular CAD file,  no triangles there! All together a slightly odd image to post, not what you’d usually see from a Manufacturer. 

Those brakes look wrong. The linkage is upside down on the shown face, should be right over left for that lever to work. 

• Agree 1

If anyone is interested there is a photo in GWR Wagons Before 1948 Vol.2 on P.37 of Didcot X8 MICA 105860 in it's PBA (Port of Bristol Authority livery). The description though is incorrect and describes it as having 'the remains of a blue Port of London Authority livery' on it yet the lettering says 'PBA' rather than 'PLA'.

Edited by Garethp8873
PBA information
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit that this bit of the blurb took me from amazement at the turgid style to utter confusion.  On one line it tells me I can pre-order it then the next line tells me that I can buy one today.  So I can therefore presumably buy one now, i.e. 'today' or I could alternatively pre-order one for delivery on another day (whenever that might be but presuambly  no earlier than tomorrow or some indeterminate time after that?).  

So why would I bother to pre-order one if I can buy it today?

524704469_mica.jpg.cc756287ec2f1d12b6b467773655be83.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

If you compare that CAD image to the superb photos in Russell Wagons Appendix you can see that it doesn't agree very well. Edit: This is because those wagons are not X8s, duh Phil!

The chassis in particular differs in many details and because, as nightstar noted above, the chassis rendering is very different from the van body it suggests to me that the CAD for the body has been plonked onto a chassis that was designed for a different wagon.

It's early days but KR have a long way to go on this! Apparently what we see here is a "completed CAD"!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It has become "traditional" for manufacturers to post CADs with incorrect perspective, so that they cannot be pirated  KR just do it to a greater degree.

I am more interested in the livery choices.   Did none last into the 1950's (or later) as there does not (?) SEEM to be a British Railways version noted ???

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The CAD (which KR describe as "completed"!) is close to representing the preserved example on the SVR, by the look of it, but not to any of the photos in Russell Wagons Appendix...

So do we know the provenance of the SVR preserved van? Is it a frankenstein van made by marrying a Mica body onto an old chassis?

Edit: The preserved SVR van is a kosher-looking X8. These had a variety of changes from the earlier diagrams show in Russel Wagons Appendix.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, phil gollin said:

It has become "traditional" for manufacturers to post CADs with incorrect perspective, so that they cannot be pirated  KR just do it to a greater degree.

I am more interested in the livery choices.   Did none last into the 1950's (or later) as there does not (?) SEEM to be a British Railways version noted ???

They definitely lasted into BR, I believe the livery for the Mica Bs remained white although with black lettering.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RobSkipworth said:

They definitely lasted into BR, I believe the livery for the Mica Bs remained white although with black lettering.

But how long into BR days they did they continue to carry meat? 

The remaining Southern Region traffic up from the West Country went over to Conflats and FM containers during the 1950s, though I'm unsure of the exact timing.

Was that a general pattern across BR?

John

• Like 1

Their flyer promo leaflet wasn't proof read properly either; Vans 5 and 6 are listed as 105923 but 105966 which makes up Pack B is not listed.  Cut 'n Paste not checked.

I would like some Micas but I think I'll wait on this one.

Edited by Pendennis
spelling correction
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

But how long into BR days they did they continue to carry meat? 

The remaining Southern Region traffic up from the West Country went over to Conflats and FM containers during the 1950s, though I'm unsure of the exact timing.

Was that a general pattern across BR?

John

Well into the 50s as far as I know, only a handful lasted past 1960 though. I'm fairly sure that other than the GWR TEVAN rebuilds all stayed as meat vans until the end.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, RobSkipworth said:

Well into the 50s as far as I know, only a handful lasted past 1960 though. I'm fairly sure that other than the GWR TEVAN rebuilds all stayed as meat vans until the end.

So it was presumably containerisation that saw them off, hence the low later survival rates.

In BR days, they do seem to have become rather camera-shy, though. Were they largely confined to block trains on one or two routes?

I'm thinking it might be best to adapt my Parkside X7 kit to a V31 Tevan...  

John

5 hours ago, Harlequin said:

The CAD (which KR describe as "completed"!) is close to representing the preserved example on the SVR, by the look of it, but not to any of the photos in Russell...

So do we know the provenance of the SVR preserved van? Is it a frankenstein van made by marrying a Mica body onto an old chassis?

The GWR 813 Preservation Fund are excellent at researching the histories the 100+ vehicles that are in it's ownership. Their information when it comes to wagons such as the Improvised Gunpowder Van/Iron Mink 58725 and the last surviving Brecon and Merthyr 4 Plank Open 197/99766 was very impressive.

105873 was originally preserved at Dean Forest but eventually moved to the SVR in 1973 in poor structural condition. The van has been the subject of two recent overhauls in 2006 to 2012 and 2018 to present day (as well as 1984 and 1995). Unfortunately the van has suffered from considerable rot. As quoted on SVR wiki "As in 1995, conjecture is that the cause is condensation caused by the vehicle being double skinned and zinc lined and having inadequate ventilation".

30937549018_6716d440ec_b.jpg

5 hours ago, RobSkipworth said:

Looks suspiciously similar to this model, to the point where they've even taken one of the images from the page!

https://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/products/144888/gwr-mica-b-refrigerated-van

Two of the photos used on the webpage are my photos of 105873.

First being when it was outstopped in 2012 and the other in 2018 after several years of use on the Severn Valley.

7972390792_e769a11fa6_b.jpg

40913881782_421d1d0bf7_b.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Harlequin said:

It's early days but KR have a long way to go on this! Apparently what we see here is a "completed CAD"!

Oh dear...

Good job I have a Parkside kit in the stash then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Excellent pics as usual Gareth.

Rolling stock is my speciality :) 

Like @The FatadderI'm going to sit on the fence and watch the development from afar before making a financial commitment. If KR Models are just basing their research upon the preserved 105873 and not looking at the historical information of the MICA X8 (which is easy to obtain) then I feel uneasy.

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

On one line it tells me I can pre-order it then the next line tells me that I can buy one today.  So I can therefore presumably buy one now, i.e. 'today' or I could alternatively pre-order one for delivery on another day (whenever that might be but presumably no earlier than tomorrow or some indeterminate time after that?).  

So why would I bother to pre-order one if I can buy it today?

Well you can buy it today if you want (ie hand over your money), but they didn't say it would be delivered today! 😁

• Agree 2