New product announcement - GW Mica 'B' van

Fishoutofwater

There is a Parkside/Peco OO kit available - so not just the old metal kit that Phil alluded to and the N gauge society have one too.

But as an RTR it's another old Hornby Dublo item long out of production.

Think this will sell well for KR and I think it's these sorts of models that they can really excel at.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to KR Models on this announcement. We wish them every success with the project.

The Micas have been generally High Polling in The 00 Wishlist Poll and that was the same placing in 2022.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Based on KR track record I wouldn’t be getting rid of the Parkside kits yet…

I am going to give KR models the chance to get it right.  I don't need any but If I happen to see one being retailed I may well buy one or two.  Did they last until 1960 - 2 ish  ?  

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I am going to give KR models the chance top get it right.  I don't need any but If I happen to see one being retailed I may well buy one or two.  Did they last until 1960 - 2 ish  ?  

A few did last into the early 1960s in BR use and longer in Ports Authority service. The video is slightly misleading on the Hornby Dublo model as that was continued by Wrenn until the early 1990s so its c.30 years since one was available to buy rather then the 55+ that are implied.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 18/03/2023 at 14:39, Covkid said:

I am going to give KR models the chance to get it right.  I don't need any but If I happen to see one being retailed I may well buy one or two.  Did they last until 1960 - 2 ish  ?  

All three preserved X8 MICAs are Port Authority owned examples. SVR's 105873, South Devon's 105916 and Didcot's 105860 worked on the PBA. When withdrawn by the GWR I cannot say tbh. All the X8 MICAs currently preserved are 813 Fund owned examples. There is also a X5 at Gloucester and the Tevan at Didcot which is an X7. SVR's example is not far off completion and the Didcot example is beginning it's overhaul. SD's is yet to be overhauled.

Edited by Garethp8873
PBA information
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

With the X8 diagram being tackled, I just wonder if @KR Models will take a glance at the earlier X7 diagram as well maybe even a TEVAN? Am I right in thinking that the main difference between X7 and X8 @Miss Prismwas the brake system?

Indeed, and I was intending to make X8s from some Parkside kits by swapping out the DC gear provided.

IIRC the TEVANS were converted from X7 Micas (Diagram V31) and the longer X9 (Diagram V32).

I can't find any reference for conversions from X8.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Indeed, and I was intending to make X8s from some Parkside kits by swapping out the DC gear provided.

IIRC the TEVANS were converted from X7 Micas (Diagram V31) and the longer X9s (Diagram V32).

I can't find any reference for conversions from X8.

John

My friend at Unique Wagons on ebay did for me a 105873 several years ago. When I first saw the kit announced it was a plan of mine to represent the X7 and X8. Thanks to KR Models I can have a good long rake of the vans now.

13466268_10157091757615002_4884695867467848789_n.jpg

13442199_10157091757620002_7920117094040894130_n.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

There is a Parkside/Peco OO kit available - so not just the old metal kit that Phil alluded to and the N gauge society have one too.

But as an RTR it's another old Hornby Dublo item long out of production.

Think this will sell well for KR and I think it's these sorts of models that they can really excel at.

The problem with the Hornby Dublo one was that it represented an X7 or X8 body stretched to fit their standard 17' 6"chassis. 

I've never been able to understand why they didn't just make a dimensionally correct X9!

I'm planning to create a couple of those by hacking HD bodies that I picked up for next to nothing with knackered underframes.

The sides are as near accurate as makes no odds for a "layout" X9/V32, and I'll just need to make new ends, get rid of the "roof hatches" and mount them on suitable kit or RTR underframes.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

No price or ordering details for these given yet. It'll be interesting to see the rrp for these.

30 quid each or 3 for 75 quid according to their FB page, so pretty keen pricing by 2023 standards.

link may or may not work!:-

https://www.facebook.com/krmodels.uk

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A very popular van as evidenced by the high prices asked for mint HD or Wrenn models.  While I have wanted a couple for a long time I was not prepared to pay "collector" prices for a mint example and similarly I am not prepared to pay around 30 quid for a newly tooled example,  even though this is the current ball park figure for other four-wheel models.  Perhaps Hornby might "surprise" us and issue their yellow LMS insulated van as a GWR livery example.  I would not expect the price to be under 25 quid if they did so.

Been a bit of a GW announcement day but I am nervous about how these will turn out. A good reputation takes a while to build and whilst I have no KR Models products and so have no first hand experience, I just seem to be drawn to the reports from others about their other releases. hopefully the quality control has been sorted out and these are on a par with Accurascale and Rapido.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

A very popular van as evidenced by the high prices asked for mint HD or Wrenn models.  While I have wanted a couple for a long time I was not prepared to pay "collector" prices for a mint example and similarly I am not prepared to pay around 30 quid for a newly tooled example,  even though this is the current ball park figure for other four-wheel models.  Perhaps Hornby might "surprise" us and issue their yellow LMS insulated van as a GWR livery example.  I would not expect the price to be under 25 quid if they did so.

Just buy a Parkside PC85 Kit currently around £14 if you don’t want to pay KR’s price.

https://albionyard.com/2013/07/13/not-another-mpd/

It’s an accurate and easy kit to build and paint.

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

13 hours ago, ndg910 said:

Been a bit of a GW announcement day but I am nervous about how these will turn out. A good reputation takes a while to build and whilst I have no KR Models products and so have no first hand experience, I just seem to be drawn to the reports from others about their other releases. hopefully the quality control has been sorted out and these are on a par with Accurascale and Rapido.

Indeed, looking at previous KRM releases there have been some minor issues, though if you look at other manufacturers they tend to have issues for their first few models so who knows how these will end up!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

Indeed, looking at previous KRM releases there have been some minor issues, though if you look at other manufacturers they tend to have issues for their first few models so who knows how these will end up!

They might get better but they still havea long way to go to match others producing newly tooled wagons in this price range.  For that reason alone, plus their past history of design errors, I shall definitely not be pre-ordering any of these should they happen to announce a version suitable to my period of interest.   Also I'm not prepared to finance production of something by a concern which seems to base its business model on using its customers' money rather than its own especially where details of its financial performance are neither readily available or covered by UK legislation.

Hence I shall become a mugwump and sit on the fence while I wait and see if it's suitable, and to a standard which justifies the price and I might then consider purchase

Edited by The Stationmaster
correct typos
  • Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

...except for those handrails at the end.

Maybe a jig would be useful in forming them.

They’re wire and you have a few goes at them, what’s not to enjoy? If the prime concern is the price of the wagon then a few pieces of wire will add about a pound to the cost.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

15 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Have I read the website correctly - all 6 vans announced are being produced in white GWR livery?

I have had a truly 'over-the-top' product announcement about this model - who writes this stuff?

You'd think that they were selling a top-of-the-range super-car, rather than a 4mm. scale wagon!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I have had a truly 'over-the-top' product announcement about this model - who writes this stuff?

You'd think that they were selling a top-of-the-range super-car, rather than a 4mm. scale wagon!

CJI.

I guess you mean this:

What's New?

Introducing GWR 105873 'Mica B' Refrigerated Meat Van 

This historic refrigerated meat van was a true game-changer in the early 1900s, with a cutting-edge carbonic acid machine that kept perishable goods fresh and delicious during long hauls.

Picture this: the sleek and sturdy exterior of the van, crafted with precision and painted in the classic GWR livery, rolling down the tracks like a beast on a mission. 

Running for many years in mixed traffic freight trains, from the docks to the meat markets, up and down the country.

Now, imagine owning a model of this iconic GWR Mica B Van - a stunning replica of the real thing, with all the intricate details and unique features of the original. The exterior is a sight to behold, painted in classic GWR colours, and the interior is so detailed that you can almost see the carbonic acid machine at work.

If you're a true collector, you don't want to miss out on this rare and historic GWR Mica B Van model. There are 3 versions of preservation, 2 of which are available to pre-order.

Pre-order now, and relive the glory days of railway transportation with a piece of history you can proudly display in your collection.

Today you can buy a single van for £30.00 or a pack of 3 for £75. 

Edited by Colin_McLeod
To remove personal info.
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4