Can you date these early photos of Thame station

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, dagrizz said:

If the chalk date (1909) is correct then this is five years before WW1. Was first aid training and practice routine on the railways at this time?

The First Aid mvement was well established on some railways by the early 20th century so no worries about 1909 in that respect.  I expect teh competitions were underway by then and the extra free pass every year was also worth real money in those days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

This is the earliest example of a Midland Railway Ambulance Committee silver medal I could find in the Midland Railway Study Centre online catalogue:

12895.jpg

[Embedded link to MRSC 12895.]

"Awarded To Fred Dolby for First Aid Rendered At Derby April 18th 1895". 

• Like 1

Conscription (and therefore military exemption for workers critical to the war effort*) was only introduced in 1916, but before that you were expected by society to volunteer if able bodied and of military age, and the white feathers started in 1914. 

It was important to wear a uniform if you wanted to avoid white feathers in WW1, and even according to my father during WW2.  He left school at 14 and wore GPO uniform before he was old enough to enlist, and because telegrams were a reserved occupation he had to volunteer as aircrew in order be allowed to earn the King's shilling. 

A railway uniform should have been enough, but it probably wasn't.

* also clergymen and school teachers.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

Probably irrelevant to this thread's dates, can anyone confirm that during the great war, men of military age in reserved occupations, such as railwaymen, were given arm brassards to wear indicating this, to avoid white feathers etc?

Badges for when not on duty was the norm I believe.

https://everydaylivesinwar.herts.ac.uk/2017/02/railway-war-service-badges-of-world-war-1/

Not just railway workers, but anything that was deemed important such as miners, steelworkers, dockers, etc.

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 7 months later...
On 13/04/2023 at 11:00, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I noticed the window was missing to the lamp/store room, it is not on the original plans either, but as a later addition was matched in quite well.  

The attached photo shows the station after closure and demolition of the overall roof. yes the tree is still there, but the post box has gone.

THAME K48 img214.jpg

I would suggest that this picture was taken post closure since the overall roof appears to be missing. Additionally, the far platform looks very overgrown.

Always thought that this line to Oxford should have been kept open with some imaginative  services and timetabling the passengers would have travelled. The main service would have been Thame to       Risboro  and every other hour Oxford  also the oil trains could have been kept running plus this would have kept people off the roads.Thame has doubled in size and would offer many passengers who would have many reasons for using trains  but when they closed the lines to the south of Risboro all of the thoughts were to save money not providing a service to the public.At  least the line to Chinnor and beyond is still in place and when they have their own exit from Risboro in use next year costs will decrease and thoughts can turn to extending towards Watlington terminating at the A40 . Overall I think that more thought should have been given to  the future of these lines as they provide good connections to the rest of the UK but back in time a certain pair of idiots were in charge ,strikes me that a new approch is needed to transport now. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Always thought that this line to Oxford should have been kept open with some imaginative  services and timetabling the passengers would have travelled. The main service would have been Thame to       Risboro  and every other hour Oxford  also the oil trains could have been kept running plus this would have kept people off the roads.Thame has doubled in size and would offer many passengers who would have many reasons for using trains  but when they closed the lines to the south of Risboro all of the thoughts were to save money not providing a service to the public.At  least the line to Chinnor and beyond is still in place and when they have their own exit from Risboro in use next year costs will decrease and thoughts can turn to extending towards Watlington terminating at the A40 . Overall I think that more thought should have been given to  the future of these lines as they provide good connections to the rest of the UK but back in time a certain pair of idiots were in charge ,strikes me that a new approch is needed to transport now. 

Drifting a bit further away from the topic, if the line had stayed open through to Oxford, would Chiltern now be going that way rather than via Bicester ?

Adrian