New Book on The Peaks

slilley

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Thanks, Simon.

Of all the Type 4s, the 44/45/46 series have been the least-well documented. Doubtless your tome will fill a large gap in the literature.

P1350382 (4).JPG

I see from doing a bit of trawling on't t'internet that peak books are like buses, we seem to have another one by Fred Kerr to contend with.

Mike.

22 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I see from doing a bit of trawling on't t'internet that peak books are like buses, we seem to have another one by Fred Kerr to contend with.

Mike.

As I understand it Fred's book is a pictorial one, where as this is more text based.

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2023 at 11:21, Enterprisingwestern said:

Being outwith the UK I don't have the WHS browsing library to hand!, so keeping us all updated as to which magazines would be much appreciated.

Mike.

Mike

I have had the proofs back for the first article in Railways Illustrated, this will cover the naming of the ten Class 44s. That will be in the November issue which is due out on 5th October. The second article on the regiment names will follow in the issue after I believe

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, slilley said:

Mike

I have had the proofs back for the first article in Railways Illustrated, this will cover the naming of the ten Class 44s. That will be in the November issue which is due out on 5th October. The second article on the regiment names will follow in the issue after I believe

Simon

Thanks Simon.

That's my daughter on Smiffs patrol then!

Mike.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have managed to read through this excellent tome. Quite a few very interesting facts about the early days of these locos, a lot of which I was aware of. However two very small errors in the later days, 45125 is listed as not having a headlight it certainly did as the fittings it currently has are the originals. Also when it was moved from Toton by 56075 West Yorkshire Enterprise (0Z45) driven by Tinsley driver Mario Carrington and Inspector Steve Freeman from Tinsley Went straight from Toton to Dairycoates  it didn't stop at Doncaster.

On 06/10/2023 at 20:00, 45125 said:

Have managed to read through this excellent tome. Quite a few very interesting facts about the early days of these locos, a lot of which I was aware of. However two very small errors in the later days, 45125 is listed as not having a headlight it certainly did as the fittings it currently has are the originals. Also when it was moved from Toton by 56075 West Yorkshire Enterprise (0Z45) driven by Tinsley driver Mario Carrington and Inspector Steve Freeman from Tinsley Went straight from Toton to Dairycoates  it didn't stop at Doncaster.

Thank you for the feedback. These things were checked from several sources, but clearly not correct. Apologies.

Simon

4 hours ago, slilley said:

Thank you for the feedback. These things were checked from several sources, but clearly not correct. Apologies.

Simon

That's okay. Some very excellent work in all the research.

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived last week had a flick through it and seems excellent 

It one of those books that I want to make time to really savour reading it.

I was the same with Michael Rhodes book from grid iron to grassland

Anymore projects in the pipeline Simon?  

13 hours ago, russ p said:

Mine arrived last week had a flick through it and seems excellent 

It one of those books that I want to make time to really savour reading it.

I was the same with Michael Rhodes book from grid iron to grassland

Anymore projects in the pipeline Simon?  

Russ

Feel free to take your time over it, there are 107,000 words to digest after all!

As for future projects I am not sure just at the moment. This book took three years to write, and was done with the backdrop of some  stressful times elsewhere, changing job twice, as well as dealing with some family issues.

I shall be talking to Crecy probably in late November about other things, but for now I just need to take a step back and recharge the batteries a little. This book writing gig does take it out of you.

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
On 06/10/2023 at 20:00, 45125 said:

Nah mate, it stopped at Doncaster to have original looking headlamp fittings fitted - fancy getting a basic fact like that wrong!! Let’s hope you don’t ever write a book eh??

28 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Nah mate, it stopped at Doncaster to have original looking headlamp fittings fitted - fancy getting a basic fact like that wrong!! Let’s hope you don’t ever write a book eh??

Jeremy

I welcome all feedback, good and bad, it is how I become a better writer for the future. I have no problem with 45125's comments.

Can we try and keep this thread civilsed please?

Simon

• Agree 1

My copy is hidden away in our bedroom until Christmas... (I do know where it is, but it would spoil the fun if I opened it now).

An obvious follow-on - after Simon's well-earned sabatical - would be on the smaller powered Sulzers. The 24s and 25s, and the 26s and 27s.

Anyway, just a thought... 

The 24s/25s in particular, haven't had much written about them.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

As one of the owners of said loco and rode on it from Toton to Dairycoates ( which went via the avoider At Donny) on the day  I know exactly where it went that day. I also rode on it when it was moved from Dairycoates To Botanic and from Botanic to Brush at Loughborough.

Al Taylor

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/10/2023 at 21:00, 45125 said:

10 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

23 minutes ago, 45125 said:

As one of the owners of said loco and rode on it from Toton to Dairycoates ( which went via the avoider At Donny) on the day  I know exactly where it went that day. I also rode on it when it was moved from Dairycoates To Botanic and from Botanic to Brush at Loughborough.

Al Taylor

watching-popcorn.gif.8bd4756b565644306299f2e013dc9388.gif

Attempting to lighten the situation a tad, please can we just agree to disagree so as not to sully Simon's efforts?

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Attempting to lighten the situation a tad, please can we just agree to disagree so as not to sully Simon's efforts?

Mike.

Mike

I agree. Can we keep this civilised please and on topic? I am more than open to feedback good and bad, but let us keep our comments on the book and not about individual contributors. I know there are a couple of errors in the book, one is definitely down to me and I hold my hand up to that, plus the information 45125 has provided I accept and yes that is another error in it for which I have already apologised.

I very much hope that people reading the book will learn a few new things about the Peaks, certainly that is the intention as it is with all the books I write.

This book has perhaps been the hardest book I have yet written, but ended up the biggest at 107,000 words which is bigger than my Class 47 book.

Simon

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

My copy is hidden away in our bedroom until Christmas... (I do know where it is, but it would spoil the fun if I opened it now).

An obvious follow-on - after Simon's well-earned sabatical - would be on the smaller powered Sulzers. The 24s and 25s, and the 26s and 27s.

Anyway, just a thought... 

The 24s/25s in particular, haven't had much written about them.

Hi Peter

I wont spoil the ending for you, or indeed the beginning but if you want an appetiser then the new Railways Illustrated is worth a look, as indeed will next month's issue.

AS for other projects, the 24s and 25s would be a possible, but a huge undertaking given the number sof them. I know someone else had started to write about the 26s and 27s as I sent them some material I had come across. That project I think has stalled for now and I am unsure quite when they are going to be able to restart it. I would be reluctant to jump in and steal their thunder, not really playing fair.

We shall see anyway. I am meeting with Crecy in late November and we will kick around a few ideas then so we will see what comes out of that discussion.

Simon

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great Book ordered it via crecy and have already got half way through.

Well done you deserve a rest after all that research.  I am hoping that in time someone will write as detailed a book about the 86s that you have done for the diesel locomotives 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PM47079 said:

Great Book ordered it via crecy and have already got half way through.

Well done you deserve a rest after all that research.  I am hoping that in time someone will write as detailed a book about the 86s that you have done for the diesel locomotives 

Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated.

Simon

• Thanks 1