New Book on The Peaks

slilley

I am close to submission with the Peak book. The manuscript is going through a final read through and editing and I have now most of the photos I need.

That said I do have two very specific requirements.

1. A picture of D1 Scafell Pike soon after construction in all over green.

2. D100 in green whilst in service, not in preservation.

If anyone is able to help with either of these two requests please contact me on here. You must be the copyright holder of any image you offer me.

Simon

Edited by slilley

• 1 month later...

I have some good news on the book on the Peaks, THE PEAKS, CLASSES 44, 45, and 46, I have been writing for the last three years. I submitted the manuscript to the publishers Crecy Ltd this morning, some 107,000 words, along with some 300 photos to illustrate the text.

Edited by slilley
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, slilley said:

I have some good news on the book on the Peaks, THE PEAKS, CLASSES 44, 45, and 46, I have been writing for the last three years. I submitted the manuscript to the publishers Crecy Ltd this morning, some 107,000 words, along with some 300 photos to illustrate the text.

Really looking forward to this one, always had a soft-spot for the Peaks. 

Roy

On 26/05/2023 at 22:55, Roy Langridge said:

Really looking forward to this one, always had a soft-spot for the Peaks. 

Roy

Roy

Thank you for the kind thoughts. I hope when it is published you will enjoy it.

Best wishes

Simon

• 1 month later...

Another update on the Peak book. The proofs with the photos inserted have arrived. I have had a first look through and there do not seem to be too many snags to deal with. Once we have them ironed out I can do the index, so we should be looking at a book of 240 pages, 107,000 words and about 250 photographs.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Pedantically, very pedantically given the company we are in, The Peaks were only D1 - D10!!

Mike.

Yes I know the first ten were the only ones named after mountains.  :-) But the title of the book does make it clear it covers all three variations!!

As you will discover when you read the book, mountains was about the fourth choice of name considered for them.

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll be more than interested don't you worry!

The namings always interested me to a certain extent, there was no continuance from D11 onwards, not that UK mountains would have got us very far anyway, the names that there were were army regiments, apart one named after a tuppenyha'penny village hanging from the side of a North Western dump of a seaside resort, then almost as an afterthought a name got slung on a Crompton variety, very strange.

Tinsley were far better at it!

Mike.

• Funny 1

16 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'll be more than interested don't you worry!

The namings always interested me to a certain extent, there was no continuance from D11 onwards, not that UK mountains would have got us very far anyway, the names that there were were army regiments, apart one named after a tuppenyha'penny village hanging from the side of a North Western dump of a seaside resort, then almost as an afterthought a name got slung on a Crompton variety, very strange.

Tinsley were far better at it!

Mike.

The regiment names is a tale in its own right. The namings of the original ten and the regiments will also be the subject of a couple of articles I am working on for a magazine. They will be appetisers for the book itself.

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, slilley said:

The regiment names is a tale in its own right. The namings of the original ten and the regiments will also be the subject of a couple of articles I am working on for a magazine. They will be appetisers for the book itself.

Simon

Being outwith the UK I don't have the WHS browsing library to hand!, so keeping us all updated as to which magazines would be much appreciated.

Mike.

• Agree 1

On 25/07/2023 at 11:21, Enterprisingwestern said:

Being outwith the UK I don't have the WHS browsing library to hand!, so keeping us all updated as to which magazines would be much appreciated.

Mike.

Hi Mike

The two articles are likely to be in Railways Illustrated. I don't know when yet, as I am just putting the finishing touches to them.

Once I have firm dates I will post on here.

Simon

• Like 2

The proofs have been returned with queries answered and hopefully gremlins removed.

The front and rear covers have been worked on and they are now agreed.

In the next couple of days I should get another set of proofs to check through just to make sure everything is as it should be and if that is the case then we will be good to go to print.

Simon

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/07/2023 at 10:27, slilley said:

Simon

A fantastic idea, which will hopefully raise awareness and appetite for your book.  I wish you success.

Steve

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 55020 said:

A fantastic idea, which will hopefully raise awareness and appetite for your book.  I wish you success.

Steve

Steve

Thank you very much. Now I have hopefully got the book off my desk and it goes off to print, I can concentrate on finishing these articles.

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, slilley said:

Had it confirmed today by Crecy that The Peaks: Classes 44/45/46 is going off to the printers today and should be available around mid-September. The website now shows the agreed cover design.

How about the magazine articles?

Mike.

Not pushy like!

10 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

How about the magazine articles?

Mike.

Not pushy like!

Hi Mike

The first has gone off to Railways Illustrated covering how the Class 44s became named after mountains. I am waiting for confirmation as to which edition that will appear in.

The article on the regimental names is about to go off to the editor and as soon as I have any further news on which issue I will post something on here.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

This is a book I'm really looking forward to.

Simon, is all the naming info in your forthcoming articles, in the book too?

Hi Peter

Glad to hear you are looking forwards to the book.

The two articles for Railways Illustrated are an appetiser for the book.

Simon