SEF Crane Tank kit - a quick build in 4mm

After finishing my Beattie well tank kit I looked around for a quick project before I began gardening and other jobs. My South Eastern Finecast SER crane tank kit was next on my "to do" list anyway, and as it was a relatively uncomplicated model it fitted the bill . this quirky little loco is a bit out of my modelling period although it did survive to pass into British Railways stock on nationalisation. It never carried its allotted number (31302) however and went for scrap in 1949. I've always liked industrial locos and find crane tanks fascinating so I had to find room for this one in my stud.

The chassis was quite straightforward  and I fitted Markits wheels and a High Level "Lo Loader" gearbox with 120:1 reduction. I also fitted one of the HL budget motors but purchased the larger 1020 when clearly the 1015 would have been the better bet in view of limited space. I managed to get it all in  but had to cut a small arch under the boiler back head to clear the motor shaft. 

(319)2023-04SERcranetankchassis.jpg.f8040a4212c8620a1957c31eb5fa26a3.jpg  

Assembly of the body was very straightforward and I added just a small amount of extra detail. For some reason the front sandboxes were too long when compared with photographs of the prototype so - I cut them down to their correct dimensions. Inevitably the finely cast cab brake column was a casualty (I always manage to snap off the handle) and was replaced by a more  robust home made one as explained by Iain Rice in one of his books. If modelling the later type enclosed cab it is essential to weight the front of the boiler to prevent any tendency to do "wheelies" !

(317)2023-04SERcranetankcompleted.jpg.ee1c75a9a6e7a9e5e4c5798e5afdfe7a.jpg

(318)2023-04SERcranetankcompleted.jpg.dd64395fc5991d4807d94ea846600089.jpg

The loco was primed today and will receive its black coat tomorrow. It will have to be Southern livery as I don't want to do a fictitious 31302. Transfers are on order and I hope to have the little fellow finished soon.

Barry

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Pierview said:

After finishing my Beattie well tank kit I looked around for a quick project before I began gardening and other jobs. My South Eastern Finecast SER crane tank kit was next on my "to do" list anyway, and as it was a relatively uncomplicated model it fitted the bill . this quirky little loco is a bit out of my modelling period although it did survive to pass into British Railways stock on nationalisation. It never carried its allotted number (31302) however and went for scrap in 1949. I've always liked industrial locos and find crane tanks fascinating so I had to find room for this one in my stud.

The chassis was quite straightforward  and I fitted Markits wheels and a High Level "Lo Loader" gearbox with 120:1 reduction. I also fitted one of the HL budget motors but purchased the larger 1020 when clearly the 1015 would have been the better bet in view of limited space. I managed to get it all in  but had to cut a small arch under the boiler back head to clear the motor shaft. 

(319)2023-04SERcranetankchassis.jpg.f8040a4212c8620a1957c31eb5fa26a3.jpg  

Assembly of the body was very straightforward and I added just a small amount of extra detail. For some reason the front sandboxes were too long when compared with photographs of the prototype so - I cut them down to their correct dimensions. Inevitably the finely cast cab brake column was a casualty (I always manage to snap off the handle) and was replaced by a more  robust home made one as explained by Iain Rice in one of his books. If modelling the later type enclosed cab it is essential to weight the front of the boiler to prevent any tendency to do "wheelies" !

(317)2023-04SERcranetankcompleted.jpg.ee1c75a9a6e7a9e5e4c5798e5afdfe7a.jpg

(318)2023-04SERcranetankcompleted.jpg.dd64395fc5991d4807d94ea846600089.jpg

The loco was primed today and will receive its black coat tomorrow. It will have to be Southern livery as I don't want to do a fictitious 31302. Transfers are on order and I hope to have the little fellow finished soon.

Barry

Nice job.

One comment, the picture (Longhedge 1946) of 302 in Russell's "Southern Locomotives" shows a chimney a bit taller than that.

31 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Nice job.

One comment, the picture (Longhedge 1946) of 302 in Russell's "Southern Locomotives" shows a chimney a bit taller than that.

Well spotted! The chimney top is a separate casting which I didn't put in place for the photos. It will however be fitted after painting and final assembly.

Barry

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, melmerby said:

The smokebox always strikes me as an odd place to mount a crane.

The GWR adopted a differnt approach

38125925301_908bbca5fb_b.jpg

p387291137-3.jpg

As did the LNWR:

930-lnwr-engine-no-3249-crane-tank-PB97D

It was a standard Neilson design of the day but presumably was only feasible on very small locomotives. It is interesting that a similar locomotive, "Snipey"  (Neilson 4004) is preserved but I haven't seen any photographs of other smoke box mounted  cranes. The examples you show are much bigger locos and I have to say that they look rather more stable!

Barry

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Pierview said:

It was a standard Neilson design of the day but presumably was only feasible on very small locomotives. It is interesting that a similar locomotive, "Snipey"  (Neilson 4004) is preserved but I haven't seen any photographs of other smoke box mounted  cranes. The examples you show are much bigger locos and I have to say that they look rather more stable!

Barry

Cyclops (17) is suitably adapted from the 850 class of pannier tank with extended frames to carry the crane.

The normally fitted dome had to be dispensed with as the jib sits low over the boiler in travelling position.

Edited by melmerby

1 hour ago, Pierview said:

Barry

Oooh. Didn't know that was a similar type.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/neilson-co-works-no-4004-hodbarrow-no-6-snipey-0-4-0ct/

Jason

The crane tank was completed earlier today and  here it is. I have portrayed it in its final livery with Bulleid lettering but I fear it is rather too clean. As weathering is not one of my strong points, however, I will leave it as it is for the moment. With the improvement in the weather the garden now beckons......

thumbnail_IMG_2456.jpg.a6d510b260ba2d1b3323836e98bcb3ae.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2457.jpg.87901e7b4498ae6d106fed3d59777249.jpg

Barry

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1