What's your latest Swiss railway-themed aquisition?

SBB1

12 hours ago, SBB1 said:

! What I have in mind is a scenic test track based on the well-photographed, snaking section of line between Burgdorf and Wynigen. It would be a double-track oval with a through fiddle-yard off-scene; the idea being a relatively simple layout to test and run full-length trains on, as well as practice my scenic skills. My question is: does this sound like a good idea for a first big project, or will I regret the lack of operational interest? Keen to here your thoughts if you've ever done something similar.

Cheers,

Andrew

Not everyone's a fan, but my three current Swiss layouts are all Unitrack. I wonder if you could employ Kato's shallowest superelevated track (rad 480+447mm) . Kato's double ballasted track is a close match to well engineered tidy Swiss trackage and lends itself well to simple track layouts.

On 31/07/2023 at 11:45, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Personally, I’d love a layout like that - and for the reasons you give: running full length trains and practising scenery.  It also gives practise at baseboard building and track laying (plus DCC wiring).  Not to everyone’s taste, as your comment basically acknowledges, but could still be very enjoyable, and somewhere to run in those new locomotives.  Just a thought, Keith.

Cheers Keith - yes something I hear a lot when it comes to layout building is 'get trains running asap' and that would be the focus here. And even if the enjoyment factor isn't there in the end, at least the layout will have utility for all the things you mention.

16 hours ago, Frutigen said:

Oh yes, long trains on snaky track would be very satisfying.

When I was trying out layout ideas on the tabletop (lots of unitrack and nowhere for a permanent layout at the time) I discovered that I just liked chilling out and watching the trains go by, even without scenery. So I eventually built my layout with that in mind, and I’m very glad I did. 

And I thought I would just need some basic scenery to provide a setting while I ran the trains, but I found the scenic work absorbing and it became a major part of the project. As for the fiddle yard, with a bit of thought you might make that scenic too, it doesn’t have to be a station. 

This is exactly my experience so far too! Having run trains on my limited assortment of track, I find what I most enjoy is setting a train off and just letting it run in the background. I really like planning and find myself cooking up ever more complex ideas, but when I really think about it, a simpler layout as described feels like the best option for maximum fun and minimum headaches. Thank you for your thoughts.

14 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Not everyone's a fan, but my three current Swiss layouts are all Unitrack. I wonder if you could employ Kato's shallowest superelevated track (rad 480+447mm) . Kato's double ballasted track is a close match to well engineered tidy Swiss trackage and lends itself well to simple track layouts.

Thank you for your thoughts Gordon. I'm definitely open-minded when it comes to track, with all the options out there on the market. The rough plan I have in mind will definitely be enhanced by super-elevation on the scenic section, so I'll look into that for sure. 

• Like 3

I’ve fallen into a trap I always promised myself I wouldn’t … I’ve acquired a loco for a layout that I haven’t even started yet.

A Hag Ae4/7, one of the Secheron batch with a single pantograph and large bodyside grilles. It’s a lovely thing, although it’s crying out to be weathered a lot more than most Swiss models; I don’t think those bodyside grilles were ever that clean for a start.

Now I just need to get on and build the layout 🤦‍♂️

Mark

IMG_2292.jpeg

IMG_2294.jpeg

• Like 6

On 31/07/2023 at 10:19, SBB1 said:

Latest additions to the collection: this ubiquitous pair, new from Fleischmann. The Bt is DCC fitted for controllable lighting. I pre-ordered mine but Scograil currently has them at a good price.

20230730_154648.jpg.913de8b93bec61a148311a8fe3a39041.jpg20230730_155432.jpg.049204186ff46462d16b9b129471a976.jpg20230730_155225.jpg.f651cb3c4b337c2fc7ec0d8954b3fc51.jpg

I'm halfway to being able to field an 8 car Re460/EW IV rake - just need to get on with building a layout to run it on! What I have in mind is a scenic test track based on the well-photographed, snaking section of line between Burgdorf and Wynigen. It would be a double-track oval with a through fiddle-yard off-scene; the idea being a relatively simple layout to test and run full-length trains on, as well as practice my scenic skills. My question is: does this sound like a good idea for a first big project, or will I regret the lack of operational interest? Keen to here your thoughts if you've ever done something similar.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Your layout idea is really good. My current layout is a four track mainline through a Swiss industrial scene allowing me to run scale length trains, a bit of a “watch the trains go by” layout. So I’d say go for it!

Love the new purchases by the way. I have 3 bt coaches however I really wished Fleischmann would stop moulding the front end pipes using a semi-circle piece of plastic for each one. It doesn’t look great.

Look forward to seeing the layout!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Latest additions to the Swiss HO fleet are various second hand Eaos wagons to work with on detailing projects plus a Mabar Tm 232 and Mehano G1000 in Sersa livery (ideal for sugar beet trains!). I finally managed to paint most of the interior of the cab on the second loco - see the Overseas Modelling part of this useful forum.

Working on detailing projects on the other Eaos wagons now.

Enjoy your modelling!

Pete

LOKI W 39.jpg

LOKI W 40.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Latest additions to the collection: this ubiquitous pair, new from Fleischmann. The Bt is DCC fitted for controllable lighting. I pre-ordered mine but Scograil currently has them at a good price.

20230730_154648.jpg.913de8b93bec61a148311a8fe3a39041.jpg20230730_155432.jpg.049204186ff46462d16b9b129471a976.jpg20230730_155225.jpg.f651cb3c4b337c2fc7ec0d8954b3fc51.jpg

I'm halfway to being able to field an 8 car Re460/EW IV rake - just need to get on with building a layout to run it on! What I have in mind is a scenic test track based on the well-photographed, snaking section of line between Burgdorf and Wynigen. It would be a double-track oval with a through fiddle-yard off-scene; the idea being a relatively simple layout to test and run full-length trains on, as well as practice my scenic skills. My question is: does this sound like a good idea for a first big project, or will I regret the lack of operational interest? Keen to here your thoughts if you've ever done something similar.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I think your layout idea sounds great. I don’t know if you’ve seen my layout thread, but it’s fair to say that the plan for Veja Megstra evolved as the layout build continued. I opted for a double-sided layout with a station on one side and a pure scenic section on the other. With the gradient involved that seems to have worked quite well and it meant I could keep the station loop on the level. 

IMG_1608.jpeg.bac7764689757231a020a6e789e998ab.jpeg

Here’s the ‘Bergun’ side under development. 

IMG_0133.jpeg.1008f33c2e87eefaf281cec7219c6469.jpeg

Here’s the station board, which is opposite the slope. 

IMG_0151.jpeg.7bb400de9ec1a1b998eb02f1958736c5.jpeg

Overall view before the scenic work on the winter side started. 

• Like 10

On 08/08/2023 at 22:54, cornish trains jez said:

Hi Andrew,

Your layout idea is really good. My current layout is a four track mainline through a Swiss industrial scene allowing me to run scale length trains, a bit of a “watch the trains go by” layout. So I’d say go for it!

Love the new purchases by the way. I have 3 bt coaches however I really wished Fleischmann would stop moulding the front end pipes using a semi-circle piece of plastic for each one. It doesn’t look great.

Look forward to seeing the layout!

Best regards,

Jeremy

I've been following Gelternau keenly for a while now Jeremy, and you've definitely had some influence on my thought process. The way you can have up to four trains cruising around the layout - with the option for a bit of shunting as well - really is a great setup! Never thought I'd be a fan of a tail-chaser, but I'm fully on board now.

Re: the Bt, I have to agree. I know there are differing opinions on this, but I'm someone who would prefer the finer detail over robustness. I get why they've done it to an extent, but we know that better is possible on models these days. Particularly on a coach with an RRP of £100!

On 09/08/2023 at 17:58, MrTea said:

Hi Andrew,

I think your layout idea sounds great. I don’t know if you’ve seen my layout thread, but it’s fair to say that the plan for Veja Megstra evolved as the layout build continued. I opted for a double-sided layout with a station on one side and a pure scenic section on the other. With the gradient involved that seems to have worked quite well and it meant I could keep the station loop on the level. 

This is another setup I'm pondering @MrTea - town station on one side, pure scenic section on the other. The best of both worlds!

That's a beautiful little layout you have. Lots of scope to get creative on the winter side in a relatively small space.

Andrew

Edited by SBB1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/06/2023 at 17:04, Frutigen said:

Now there’s a coincidence

IMG_3795.jpeg.8b71884bdc3e09ed3423aa31bbbb918f.jpeg

I’m not familiar with Davos. Can anyone tell me what is the purpose of the textured surface in which the track is embed please? It doesn’t appear to be a foot crossing point for the several tracks. Is it just to mark out a section of track where coupling and uncoupling regularly takes place perhaps? 

My question is: does this sound like a good idea for a first big project, or will I regret the lack of operational interest? Keen to here your thoughts if you've ever done something similar.

Hi Andrew

I’m currently building a HO layout which is a “folded double track oval” for the standard gauge (there will be a Metre Gauge HOm end to end line as well). I’ve tried to keep the track plan as simple as possible, although for reasons best known to myself/ the site/ the evolution of the scheme, I have to have 2 double slips and numerous points at each end of the main station to facilitate access to and from the fiddle yard. But apart from that, the idea is that standard gauge trains will simply run through the station and along the open stretches of track for me to enjoy, until I decide to run them into the fiddle yard and bring another one out. There will be no timetable or anything fancy like that. Pure enjoyment on a whim. 

Having said that, I’ve found room for an up and a down loop through the station, plus a longish siding and at least one short siding or loco spur. The purpose of these is primarily to enable the odd freight train or out of service EMU or spare loco to be parked whilst trains are running, just to enhance the scene. And these are things that are always to be found at any moderately large Swiss station. 

Having spent the last 30 years planning, in effect, this layout - over and over again - and finally getting round to building it, I fully appreciate the importance of achieving a compromise between ambition and actual physical progress. I admit I would’ve quickly got bored with a small shelf layout, but I sure as anything would have loved, in retrospect, to have had something up and running a bit sooner! 

Best wishes for the project

Nick

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Samedan said:

I’m not familiar with Davos. Can anyone tell me what is the purpose of the textured surface in which the track is embed please? It doesn’t appear to be a foot crossing point for the several tracks. Is it just to mark out a section of track where coupling and uncoupling regularly takes place perhaps? 

As it’s only on that track I’m guessing it’s absorbent matting as that’s where the Krok stands a lot waiting to take the heritage service to Filisur. The Krok gets oiled in service regularly so I guess it also drops some when standing and it’s pollution control as we have matting in the bay platform at work for similar reasons as lots berth there. 

IMG_4708.jpeg.b3ce4ca14ac129b81b6793cf95fc2a12.jpeg

IMG_4715.jpeg.9ff6674be211be55a9d692a2bb94902c.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

As it’s only on that track I’m guessing it’s absorbent matting as that’s where the Krok stands a lot waiting to take the heritage service to Filisur.

Ah, OK, that sounds plausible. Possibly another little detail to model, though I can’t recall seeing it anywhere else. But then I haven’t travelled on the RhB for a while to be honest. 

I would say probable more than plausible! I would hazard a guess that such an ancient loco drops oil a tad more than 21st century designed locos...

The test would be to see if there is any in track 3 at Filisur (although the croc probably spends less time overall at the latter than at Davos )

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Afternoon,

Have posted in my Gelternau thread but thought I’d post on this thread too.

Couple of new items for the layout.

First up, Kato Re460 in Swiss Post livery. Always wanted this one and decided to push the boat out a bit on the bidding to secure it.

F195BFD9-4DE2-498E-AFBA-8704AC5B3A08.jpeg.c68b424ba7a6666abfaf21ef49a41476.jpeg

Also picked up this Fleischmann Zurich S-Bahn set. Haven’t seen one come up for sale for a while and I got it for a great price.

DF44B91E-DA61-4494-B0EA-5A34DA30AA01.jpeg.837daa8193a9b29b598bb164080cb946.jpeg

BABF5BD7-7205-4822-B061-AF906F36CC2E.jpeg.459ff5ef691843e34ce81b3086afe610.jpeg

4A42D451-43CA-4634-B4C6-BF5CADDCC111.jpeg.44a3a9e3ad3c52f99b0136fb875e5521.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6

2 hours ago, SBB1 said:

Nice pick ups @cornish trains jez

The Re 450 isn't exactly suited to my planned layout, but I wouldn't say no to one either - it's a fine looking model! Would I be right in saying the yellow doors denote the earlier version?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I agree it’s a great model and well worth having. You are absolutely right, the yellow doors were the earlier version. I’m sure I’ve seen this model in the Fleischmann range with the red doors.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

A slightly unconventional 'your latest purchase' is a few spare parts from Piko ordered through Gaugemaster. Piko don't sell direct from the factory to outside the EU (thanks Boris et al...) so you have to go through Gaugemaster. However the service was efficient - and all the spares I ordered arrived in the same shipment within about 1 month of placing the order.

The most significant purchase is a SBB EWII driving trailer body and seating insert

This will replace my kitbashing efforts using old Lima /Arnold  EW bodies 

20231108_171628.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Gordonwis said:

The most significant purchase is a SBB EWII driving trailer body and seating insert

This will replace my kitbashing efforts using old Lima /Arnold  EW bodies

A very interesting approach, I look forward to the results. Will you use a Lima chassis or some other solution?

I’m having one sprayed and assembled using the 3D printed body that you recommended and a Lima chassis/interior but the builder is injured and it’s on hold for a while. 

Edited by Frutigen

5 hours ago, Frutigen said:

A very interesting approach, I look forward to the results. Will you use a Lima chassis or some other solution?

I’m having one sprayed and assembled using the 3D printed body that you recommended and a Lima chassis/interior but the builder is injured and it’s on hold for a while. 

Not sure yet. I also ordered bogie sideframes, buffers etc. Ireally wanted the blue / white body but those spare bodies sold out long ago . However this body is a cut above my two existing Eriam versions.

It will be very interesting to see if the narrow (realistic) Piko body takes any Lime/Arnold gear as did my Eriam body!

Also, I managed to get windows etc from the blue modernised Bt so I am hoping they will help make my modernised Bt look better. 

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 1

In the early days of Kato RhB stuff I repainted a red Ge4/4III into plain white as I kept seeing 'Ems' on the main line on our frequent visits to RhB land. When Kato brought their version out I resisted buying one at full price, but the other day I noticed  TrainTrax had discounted their stock to £132 so I indulged

20231108_171516.jpg

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

It will be very interesting to see if the narrow (realistic) Piko body takes any Lime/Arnold gear as did my Eriam body!

Well the good news is it was test track night at my MR club tonight and I took my chassis conversion out of the Eriam body, and tested it with one Lima/Arnold bogie replaced with a Piko EW bogie borrowed from one of my Piko blue and white EW coaches. Despite a huge difference in the size of the lug and hole between old Lima tooling (chassis) and up to date Piko tooling (bogie), the Piko bogie just about stayed in  place and successfully ran round our ageing test track being pushed. The results will be 'published' in my revived driving trailer thread

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off topic, the Rails of Sheffield Ebay store has 20% off with code SAVENOW and currently has a lot of Roco SBB coaches and wagons. I don't know the Swiss model market well enough to know if the prices are competitive but may be of interest to UK based Swiss modellers. Code expires 16/11/23.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/railsofsheffield

Edited by ruggedpeak
typo
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Slightly off topic, the Rails of Sheffield Ebay store has 20% off with code SAVENOW and currently has a lot of Roco SBB coaches and wagons. I don't know the Swiss model market stock well enough to know if the prices are competitive but may be of interest to UK based Swiss modellers. Code expires 16/11/23.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/railsofsheffield

I think some of the coaches may be the slightly shortened 1:93.5 length, but I’m not sure from the photographs.  Best thing is to cross-reference the product code with other sources to check.  To my mind the prices look reasonable for today’s market - and if a 20% discount is applied then could be good value indeed.  Can sometimes be worth making an offer on a ‘buy it now’ listing on eBay too - sometimes the difference between recommended offer prices as against list price is significant.

Hope that helps, Keith.

• Like 2

Thanks for flagging up these HO carriages for sale. Some of those look jolly good.

Must say I was a tad taken back by the prices for second hand. Not a great deal deal different to new discounted prices.

But at least they are available whereas not all the new ones are!

Pete

• Like 1