What's your latest Swiss railway-themed aquisition?

SBB1

13 hours ago, JimFin said:

Might have time to fit a decoder before going to Model Rail Scotland.

Hi Jim - when you get to M.R.S.  raise a glass to my late Mum and Dad, despite not being active railway modellers they used to visit the show.  :-)

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Hi Jim - when you get to M.R.S.  raise a glass to my late Mum and Dad, despite not being active railway modellers they used to visit the show.  :-)

Wiil do Gordon, go back far enough and they would have met my dad exhibiting when it was in the McLellan galleries.

• 2 weeks later...

1:150 RhB Za tanker 

Comes from a German artisan as a bare body, so this is my painting (grey primer for the moment as I intend to make this one have 'workstain brown' over the light grey) . Added transfers from RhB Modellbahn - originally intended for the latter's 3D printed Za which is not nearly as good as these new ones.  

20240228_220702.jpg

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 3

This is technically Italian stock … but very definitely for a Swiss layout - so only partial apologies. I’ve picked up a trio of Fleischmann UIC carriages in FS liver and grey livery.

Now I know they’re less accurate than ideal, particularly around the roof, but the scarcity of vehicles in that livery and the mix and match nature of stock during the era I’m modelling still made a purchase fairly desirable. 

I also knew in advance that the Fleischmann UIC stock rides high - but I don’t think I was quite prepared for how high! 

IMG_4922.jpeg.307dbc0269d7127b6b046e5d11e2a252.jpeg

In reality the cant rail of the FS UIC is higher than the SBB equivalent on the right. But not that much higher. Has anyone successfully lowered the overall ride height of a Fleischmann UIC? 

Mark

10 hours ago, MOB 2002 said:

Has anyone successfully lowered the overall ride height of a Fleischmann UIC? 

Mark

No, I just got rid of most of mine where possible! I favour Minitrix and even old Lima and Atlas Rivarossi for DB style UICs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

No, I just got rid of most of mine where possible! I favour Minitrix and even old Lima and Atlas Rivarossi for DB style UICs.

Part of the problem seems to be the size of the wheels. They look enormous. I might gamble on some small diameter wheelsets before I write the job off completely as a lesson learned.

Mark

Edited by MOB 2002
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, MOB 2002 said:

Has anyone successfully lowered the overall ride height of a Fleischmann UIC? 

Not with Fleischmann but I did it with an Eriam coach with a combination of smaller wheels and filing away some of the depth of the bosses where the bogies fit into the chassis. I don’t know if the Fleischmann design would allow something like that. 

Finding wheels where the axle length fits your bogie seems to be a lottery these days, and when you succeed you next have to deal with a coupling that rides too low. I think Flanders & Swan had a song about that. 

• Like 3

The bogies also look too tall, as well as being spaced too far from the underside of the carbody. Can you get some alternative bogies that could be swapped in, hopefully solving the wheelset problem at the same time?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

The bogies also look too tall, as well as being spaced too far from the underside of the carbody. Can you get some alternative bogies that could be swapped in, hopefully solving the wheelset problem at the same time?

In a word … yes:

IMG_4944.jpeg.ccf854599f01868e052f2155c0a25b2b.jpeg

It turns out that Rivarossi bogies clip straight in and what a difference they make! Buffer heights now line up and the overall height is much more acceptable.

I’ll need to take the razor saw to them to lose the moulded in steps and coupling pocket, but that looks doable. Just trying to source some more now as I don’t want to destroy the FS sleeper I’ve borrowed this one off to test the concept.

Thanks so much for the suggestion - I guess I didn’t expect the solution to be that easy! Now to decide whether I try to tackle the roofs.

Mark

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3

On 09/03/2024 at 13:22, MOB 2002 said:

This is technically Italian stock … but very definitely for a Swiss layout - so only partial apologies. I’ve picked up a trio of Fleischmann UIC carriages in FS liver and grey livery.

Now I know they’re less accurate than ideal, particularly around the roof, but the scarcity of vehicles in that livery and the mix and match nature of stock during the era I’m modelling still made a purchase fairly desirable. 

I also knew in advance that the Fleischmann UIC stock rides high - but I don’t think I was quite prepared for how high! 

IMG_4922.jpeg.307dbc0269d7127b6b046e5d11e2a252.jpeg

In reality the cant rail of the FS UIC is higher than the SBB equivalent on the right. But not that much higher. Has anyone successfully lowered the overall ride height of a Fleischmann UIC? 

Mark

From memory - having bought and rejected the older Fleischmann UIC-X a couple of years ago - most of the excess height was due to (1) overall height of the bogies above the wheel bearings and (2) height of the lower body framing, which is painted dark grey in the photos above.

And what's your source for the difference in cant rail height? I'd assume the contrary, that UIC-X coaches and their Swiss cousins would be very similar in their use of the loading gauge, and most differences between models are due to one manufacturer (or both) getting it wrong.

Fleischmann know they got this wrong: the 'Neukonstruktion 2020' UIC-X coaches are marketed as having prototypically correct buffer height. Buffer and body height both compare favourably to my preferred reference, the Roco Eurofima:

IMG_3415.JPG.47f60e26cbe569043681da4e7c997309.JPG

Comparing to your reference:

IMG_3408.JPG.f78934b2639fd051b873efd0dbbdad6f.JPG

The 'Neukonstruction 2020' model has been announced in FS grey (863960/1/2) but the release date has now slipped to 2025.

For liver red and grey the 'modern' options with flush glazing are Arnold, ACME and Minitrix, but all have their issues...

Arnold - too short, including the window openings which are only 5.5mm tall. My examples of HN4317 were also banana-shaped. The photo below shows HN 4265-3 but it's the same moulding:

IMG_3413.JPG.b8fe5100da97d31422bddb62f0ce2b45.JPG

ACME - quite pretty in photos (although I think they went too far the other way with 6.25mm tall window openings) but the body mouldings are too thin to hold their shape and they also wobble and lean on their bogies:

IMG_3409.JPG.af45946cabb48d4409a3f3afa381556a.JPG

Minitrix - too tall, but it's all in the bogies so I've stockpiled some dark grey bogies from Roco 24264 donor carriages. Also Minitrix only produced the 11-compartment couchette moulding in this livery, even though one of the models is supposed to be a composite:

IMG_3410.JPG.93a40adede478e65a079bd4b075fa3b3.JPG

IMG_3411.JPG.b570417adfaec3f8cf358edd4f6ef391.JPG

All very frustrating!

If you're interested, prototype notes and a comprehensive (2013, pre-ACME) review of N gauge models can be found and translated here:
Carrozze UIC-X – parte terza: le sei serie italiane originali | scalaeNNe - Note Sparse (Treni, Ferrovie e loro modellazione in Scala N) (wordpress.com)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Agreed wholeheartedly- it is very frustrating that every possible version seems to have at least one error!

My cant rail observations are merely from photos on the likes of Polier.ch, although even ScalaeNNe has a comparison photo showing that various nations got their cant rail treatment completely different. As far as I can tell actual uniformity only arrived at the UIC Z family. 

My donor bogies are on the way and I’ve worked out how to dismantle the Fleischmann roof so all being well I’ll get something passable in the end. 

Mark

A big parcel has arrived from Schnellenkamp in Germany containing my birthday presents to myself. Despite their origin they are for the Swiss theme. 

Three Om turnouts, two more Om rollwagen, and two O standard gauge vans suitable for the Broc branch. Also, not shown, an Om rolling road. 

1CDCBA35-D595-4E6F-A4F4-1F4C5994B239.jpeg.bedd44fd30f541b1c3a6e55074af827a.jpeg

I’m sure all of these will feature on the Broc branch thread in due course. First to be used will be one of the turnouts so I can finish the fiddle yard tracklaying. 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

27 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

A big parcel has arrived from Schnellenkamp in Germany containing my birthday presents to myself. Despite their origin they are for the Swiss theme. 

Three Om turnouts, two more Om rollwagen, and two O standard gauge vans suitable for the Broc branch. Also, not shown, an Om rolling road. 

1CDCBA35-D595-4E6F-A4F4-1F4C5994B239.jpeg.bedd44fd30f541b1c3a6e55074af827a.jpeg

I’m sure all of these will feature on the Broc branch thread in due course. First to be used will be one of the turnouts so I can finish the fiddle yard tracklaying. 

Do you still consider your project ‘stalled’?

Mark

2 minutes ago, MOB 2002 said:

Do you still consider your project ‘stalled’?

Mark

Good question! Perhaps I will edit the title next time I add a post. 

Is there a technical term for awaking after hibernation?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

HO scale TeII from the collection of the late Ian Thomson being sold today on the French Railways Society stand at Ally Pally.

Some parts need refitting but great stuff for £45 when it is my secondary scale

20240316_192704.jpg

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Morning all,

Received this lovely TGV Lyria set yesterday. I’ve been after one of these for a while so finally bit the bullet and bought one. Haven’t had a chance to run it yet.

9AE01913-19F4-4DA8-92FE-64E56F63D9CC.jpeg.6bb01648addc8ec8778b3a9555639e59.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Nice one Jeremy, and perfect for your layout! I picked up one of these about a year ago and it performs as well as it looks. Plenty of oomph in the powered unit. Looking forward to seeing it bomb around Gelternau!

Andrew

Edited by SBB1
  • Like 1

A real bargain just arrived today. Hobbytrain Re4/4 II of the first batch in green. There’s a 2021 date written on the box, but it looks like it’s never been used and ran well straight from the box.

Even the most discounted price I’ve seen for a ‘new’ one was in the region of £120. This one, £50! 

IMG_5163.jpeg.149a6d99f11f1f0556b9dc326f8d5e6b.jpeg

And I thought the days of the eBay steal were long gone.

Mark

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 3

On 06/04/2024 at 09:20, cornish trains jez said:

Morning all,

Received this lovely TGV Lyria set yesterday. I’ve been after one of these for a while so finally bit the bullet and bought one. Haven’t had a chance to run it yet.

9AE01913-19F4-4DA8-92FE-64E56F63D9CC.jpeg.6bb01648addc8ec8778b3a9555639e59.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Looks good. But try fitting one of those on an HO layout! 

• Like 1