If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

c.1976 Railway Modeller magazine featuring a turntable design utilising a record turntable platter.

SweenyTod1

The magazine I had, but now lost, contained an article in the "how to do it" section. There were several different designs featured over several months, but the one I'm looking for used a record deck platter for the drive/ indexing device mounted below the baseboard. I did make a sketch of the design, but with memory fading, I need the detail in the article. If anyone out there has this particular magazine, I will buy it or a copy of the article so that I can build and install the turntable into an existing layout. Any help much appreciated.

Tod

I think this was an article by Rathbone Holme and was in RM in 1977  - it was in an article he wrote about a friends layout that British outline but operated with continental stock. My 1977 RMs are inaccessible at the moment so I can't be any more specific other than it wasn't from 1976.

Thankyou CKPR, that's very helpful. As you may recall, using a record deck platter, suitably supported, smoothed out any vibration and backlash often encounted by a direct drive from a motor shaft. I have seen similar devices utilising an upturned biscuit tin lid, indexing achieved the same way, but doesn't have the mass of a record deck platter. So my search will continue. Helpful responses permitting of course!

Tod

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The article referred to by CKPR is in the 1978 January issue, but there is no reference to how the deck was made, other than a vague reference to an article by CJ Freezer in 'Railway Modelling'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But maybe you were refering to this in the 'RM Shows you how' series. These randomly appear in Railway Modeller as a separate insert and also what is in No. 10, may in a later series, be something entirely different.

So perhaps you had a copy from a 1976 Railway Modeller?

https://www.priory-antiques.co.uk/product/turntables-traversers-railway-modeller-shows-you-how-booklet-no-10/

Thanks Kevin, most useful info. I hadn't thought of those booklets, which I did get at the time. I still have some lurking somewhere in my collections. So I'll have a rummage through them to see what I can find, failing which, I can order one from the details you provided.

I do have memory issues, not just due to advancing years, but this concept just keeps nagging away at the grey cells and its a challenge I'd love to have a go at, before I completely lose my marbles!!!!? Cheers,

Tod

My metalwork teacher, a Mr Gittings, did have an article in the RM spread of a few issues showing how to make a loco turntable in ..... er ..... metal. It definitely wasn't in the 'Show you how' leaflets. Unfortunately I don't recall the method used to make it rotate. It would have been around 1977-78.

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Philou said:

My metalwork teacher, a Mr Gittings, did have an article in the RM spread of a few issues showing how to make a loco turntable in ..... er ..... metal. It definitely wasn't in the 'Show you how' leaflets. Unfortunately I don't recall the method used to make it rotate. It would have been around 1977-78.

Cheers,

Philip

Hi Philip

That was the 3 part article I referred to above, in 1974, G.T. Gittins. It used Meccano, electrically driven.

• Thanks 1

April 1984, A D Halstead, not actually a record player deck, but he has copied the drive arrangement from one, and it looks very good.

April 1991, Ted Polet, mentions in passing using a record player deck, fixing the turntable bridge to that, and I think turning both together, so the floor of the pit was moving.

November 1979, Robert Tivendale, I struggle a bit with his explanation, but I think he was using the record deck as a mechanical indexing system down below the turntable proper, rather than the drive.

January 1993, B Newlove, similar to the above I think, a rather complex mechanism based on a record player deck down below the turntable proper, used as an indexing disc. Quite detailed this one, and focused on using the Peco Turntable.

• Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

in 1974, G.T. Gittins

@kevinlms Crikey - earlier than I remembered! It was when I was doing my City and Guilds Lab. Technician's Course in the Pontypridd Technical College then. (Spelt his name incorrectly, too :( )

I saw him building the turntable - it seemed to take forever. IIRC, he had to cut his own gears as none were commercially available - he did have the benefit of a full college metal workshop with all the latest kit, though ;).

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

As long as its one that doesn't flip the record to the reverse side i guess your ok.

todays equivalent would be using a CD Rom drive motor.. though these are out of fashion now too.

I can recommend the Peco 4mm. scale turntable, which I fitted with a 2rpm. motor / gearbox, bought extremely cheaply from Aliexpress. At that rotational speed, indexing is not necessary.

Switching is simply a single pole, two way, centre off switch feeding track power to the deck or the motor / gearbox.

Works a treat!

John Isherwood.

• Like 5

Thankyou all for your comments and suggestions, but they are getting away from my original quest, the magazine article published by Railway Modeller, The design is very simple, in that the platter the correct way up and its central vertical shaft projects up through baseboard, to the turntable well and bridge. The drive is via friction by a  horizontal motor shaft in contact with the top edge  of the platter. The sides of the platter have cutouts at the approximate track positions. Adjustable plates are fitted over the cutouts with a small notch at the lower edge. These receive the end of a micro switch arm, stopping the platter and the turntable bridge in line with each track. Setting it up would be a bit fiddly, I suppose, but once that is done, it should be reliable!?

You may ask, how to stop the switch arm engaging with every notch? A piece of string is pulled, then let go just before the desired stop!!!!

Luckily I am bald, so I wouldn't have hair to pull out, as  it sounds like a whacky idea, but a great challenge to test my skills and patience, I don't absolutely need the article, but I would just love to have it, to prove I'm not completely bonkers!!!!

Funny Farm here I come folks......................

Tod

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SweenyTod1 said:

Thankyou all for your comments and suggestions, but they are getting away from my original quest, the magazine article published by Railway Modeller, The design is very simple, in that the platter the correct way up and its central vertical shaft projects up through baseboard, to the turntable well and bridge. The drive is via friction by a  horizontal motor shaft in contact with the top edge  of the platter. The sides of the platter have cutouts at the approximate track positions. Adjustable plates are fitted over the cutouts with a small notch at the lower edge. These receive the end of a micro switch arm, stopping the platter and the turntable bridge in line with each track. Setting it up would be a bit fiddly, I suppose, but once that is done, it should be reliable!?

You may ask, how to stop the switch arm engaging with every notch? A piece of string is pulled, then let go just before the desired stop!!!!

Luckily I am bald, so I wouldn't have hair to pull out, as  it sounds like a whacky idea, but a great challenge to test my skills and patience, I don't absolutely need the article, but I would just love to have it, to prove I'm not completely bonkers!!!!

Funny Farm here I come folks......................

Tod

I struggle to visualise this! Do we take it that this is a turntable for a fiddleyard - because I can't imagine that it would bear much resemblance to the prototype?!?

CJI.

What the OP is describing is A D Halstead’s article from 1984 that I pointed to earlier. It isn’t actually a record turntable: the author copied one, using I think plywood.

Edited by Nearholmer

12 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I struggle to visualise this! Do we take it that this is a turntable for a fiddleyard - because I can't imagine that it would bear much resemblance to the prototype?!?

CJI.

Yes, I suppose it it is hard to visualise, but the platter device is below the baseboard. Above is a roundhouse of radiating tracks served by a Peco or similar turntable well and rotating bridge. It is the rim of the platter, notched out as described, that provides the indexing. If I knew how to present a sketch here, I would. The platter was definitely a metal one from a redundant record player, providing its weight to give a flywheel effect, as I said in my original post. I do appreciate all your thoughts and comments, but I was hoping that someone on here has the article I seek and would be kind enough to let me buy it or photocopy it. Even just to borrow it would be a help, as I remember the general concept, but not all the detail.

Thanks

Tod

11 minutes ago, SweenyTod1 said:

Yes, I suppose it it is hard to visualise, but the platter device is below the baseboard. Above is a roundhouse of radiating tracks served by a Peco or similar turntable well and rotating bridge. It is the rim of the platter, notched out as described, that provides the indexing. If I knew how to present a sketch here, I would. The platter was definitely a metal one from a redundant record player, providing its weight to give a flywheel effect, as I said in my original post. I do appreciate all your thoughts and comments, but I was hoping that someone on here has the article I seek and would be kind enough to let me buy it or photocopy it. Even just to borrow it would be a help, as I remember the general concept, but not all the detail.

Thanks

Tod

I'd be very surprised if I do NOT have the article - but as it is not a subject that I indexed, finding it would be a VERY long task.

I'm sure that there have been published online, indexes of model railway magazine articles - would that not be a good starting point?

CJI.

Thanks CJI, I will have a search and see what I can find. Its many years so far since I saw it and only resurfaced the idea recently, as I'm currently working on a new T/Table  control panel. Indexing is by eye and is quite successful, but would benefit by something more accurate. Space underneath is a bit restricted, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Tod

• RMweb Premium

Just looked through the 1974 Railway Modellers.

G.T. Gittins Turntable Construction was in three parts; June July, and August.

All mainly built using plywood and Meccano, no mechanical workshop requirements.

Part I includes a very useful Parts & Materials list. 

A very useful article, although this was NOT the record-player conversion.

Also in 1974, the February issue has an account of the turntable built for the excellent "Midhants" layout, of the Midhants Model Railway Group.

The whole layout, by the way, was described in four parts, Jan to April.

A good year!

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1