RMweb

Unusual and interesting coaches on Flickr

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Looks like a Period 2 coach, two window style

"Period 1" - but it appears to be steel sheeted ! ..... and I don't think it's an 'all steel' type as it has conventional underframe trussing !

Unfortunately it disappeared before Platform 5's Departmental Coaching Stock books came along.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

27 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

"Period 1" - but it appears to be steel sheeted ! ..... and I don't think it's an 'all steel' type as it has conventional underframe trussing !

Unfortunately it disappeared before Platform 5's Departmental Coaching Stock books came along.

Simply looking up in Longworth saves the speculation. 395228 - 7627 a LMS MR diag 175 Hughes vestibule third - so 1st period. Built in 1923 and converted August 1957. This batch of coaches appears to have been very popular for conversion to various departmental uses. Withdrawn in 1979. 

395227 was a similar conversion and written as Car 5A. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsdepartmentalcoach/e78075444  I've no idea how I missed 5B at the open day in August 1978. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Thanks 1

On 20/07/2023 at 17:56, montyburns56 said:

Western Region Internal User, Civil Engineers Coach W071343, Newport Docks 1982 by Martyn Hilbert

From the other end. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/internal07xxxxdocks/e30fd20a7  and earlier https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/internal07xxxxdocks/e3190d4cf

Despite being described as unique only the frame appears to have survived in conservation 

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=208

https://www.departmentals.com/departmental/071343

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Colchester Breakdown train, ADB9770444  1981 Jamerail

A981A-033(HR)

What is with the coach/van on the left?  The body seems to be shorter than the frame it is sitting on.. And as for that thing on the right....

• RMweb Premium

Many breakdown coaches had a 'platform' at one end, often with a girder protruding at roof height.

Possibly used as a beam to hang tackle off.

The one on the right looks like a steam-heat boiler van.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, John M Upton said:

What is with the coach/van on the left?  The body seems to be shorter than the frame it is sitting on.. And as for that thing on the right....

There's a better picture of it here by Adrian Nicholls

"This former East Coast Mainline Joint Stock Vehicle was a Sleeper First Class numbered E 1174E and was built at the NER York Works in 1923 to diagram 64B. Its department career started when it was converted and renumbered in 1960 for use as a BTU (Breakdown Train Unit). In 1957 British Rail Eastern Region adopted the DE320xxx number series for such vehicles and it spent many years allocated to Colchester Depot before withdrawal and the vehicle has since been scrapped."

Breakdown Train Tool Van. (ex ECML joint stock)

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

SC3726M Old Carriage (end) on the Cock Bridge road by David Christie

SC3726M Old Carriage (end) on the Cock Bridge road. Aug'71.

Is that the old A939 Cock Bridge to Tomintoul road?  It's nice to see it in summer time.  Not, as Terry Wogan used to so fondly report, in winter time. With the snow gates closed, and wee Mrs Mackay the silver-haired postmistress valiantly blazing a path through the snow with her silver-handled shovel.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

OK - you can have it in the snow if you insist : - 

108_29.jpg.1351bd9c7ffb597c08caffd190504383.jpg

.... and my mate's car in the snow on the A939 Lecht Road a little later !

108_32.jpg.9e6090446ef2da24878dd31410892377.jpg

I sent you a pile of snow. Did you get my Drift?

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
On 26/07/2023 at 17:56, montyburns56 said:

Former South Eastern & Chatham Railway 'Birdcage' 3rd brake carriage on a siding at Porthmadog 1962 by trainsandtravel

SE&CR carriage at Portmadoc

Excellent, I've been looking for a picture of that. Nobody believed me when I said that an S&T gang on loan to us from Oswestry District turned up at Saltley in 1967 with a Birdcage Brake for their gang van. It looks like the same one.

And is that an Iron Mink in BR Grey in the background?

• Like 3