Unusual and interesting coaches on Flickr

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

"LNWR semi-compartment bogie carriage at Verney Junction." 1963 by Trainsandtravel

LNWR bogie carriage at Verney Junction

Belonged to the Signal Box Construction Gang from Crewe. 

I suspect this one was replaced in 1961 by the Period 1 D1694 CK M3565M which became KDM395776 as modelled by Bachmann

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Excellent, I've been looking for a picture of that. Nobody believed me when I said that an S&T gang on loan to us from Oswestry District turned up at Saltley  ...

SECR Brake Third No.2302 built by Metropolitan in 1900 - became Southern No.3256 ( Dia.145 ) and ran in set No.909 - demoted to service stock No.1719S in 1942 .... "must have been west of Exeter when those lines were  transferred to the Western Region, for it spent the rest of its long life on the WR. It travelled around a lot, being seen at Southall, Friary Jcn.,Banbury and Tyseley. The end finally came around 1970" according to Phil Coutanche ( SE&CR Carriages : Lightmoor 2007 ) where another photo can be found.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

SECR Brake Third No.2302 built by Metropolitan in 1900 - became Southern No.3256 ( Dia.145 ) and ran in set No.909 - demoted to service stock No.1719S in 1942 .... "must have been west of Exeter when those lines were  transferred to the Western Region, for it spent the rest of its long life on the WR. It travelled around a lot, being seen at Southall, Friary Jcn.,Banbury and Tyseley. The end finally came around 1970" according to Phil Coutanche ( SE&CR Carriages : Lightmoor 2007 ) where another photo can be found.

Thanks, must get a look at that book. 

"Cinema Coach No.DM395017M at the GWS Didcot Railway Centre, 09/70. It was converted (with steel cladding and other major alterations) in 1936 by the LMS from LNWR 65'6" 42 ton Sleeper First No.112, later 5112, LMS No.10337, later No.481 , Diagram 16; built at Wolverton 1909. BR withdrew it in 1973" by Hugh Llewelyn

Cinema Coach No.DM395017M
  • Like 14

Some SR and GWR coaches a long long way from home territory - at the Kyle of Lochalsh terminus.

On a June evening in 1968, D5330 stands at the head of an Inverness train consisting of three ex-SR parcels vans and three coaches, the last of which I now think was an ex-SR Observation Car. Nearer to the right, between another ex-SR parcels van and three LNER/BR-pattern fish vans is a real rarity for Scotland - a GWR-pattern Hawksworth bogie brake. On the far side of the station there can be seen the roofs of three coaches, the middle low-pitched one of which is an ex-HR coach that would be in departmental use.

Type 2 at Kyle

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Though not Flickr, here are a couple of old photocopies of what appear to be either an ex-GNR or GER coach. I acquired this from the late Nigel Hunt's effects. He modelled both of these railways so one would assume that that it was from one of those. A wonderful study in dereliction.

20230806_095534.jpg.c0175e77297059f6068e7481e63ba9ae.jpg

20230806_095608.jpg.d56ffd7194fee3dfd47d39d625c5bded.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I didn't take much notice of this one until I saw the bogies on the lav compo - I would have expected to see Spencer-Moulton Gresleys on it? Or was this type also built by the GNR perhaps?

1959 - J15 on the Local..

Edited by Bucoops
Spencer Moulton not Moulton Spencer...
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I didn't take much notice of this one until I saw the bogies on the lav compo - I would have expected to see Spencer-Moulton Gresleys on it? Or was this type also built by the GNR perhaps?

The diagram shows 8'6" Gresley bogies but says the first 5 were built at Stratford in 1925.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

1959 - J15 on the Local..

Hi,

Where did you find this photo. Are there any more details such as date and what service it is on.

Could it be a Colchester service via Long Melford and Marks tey perhaps?

Thanks

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Hi,

Where did you find this photo. Are there any more details such as date and what service it is on.

Could it be a Colchester service via Long Melford and Marks tey perhaps?

Thanks

Keith

Hi Keith,

If you click on the photo it takes you to the Flickr page - but this is the link anyway ☺️ https://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/51917127093/

24 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Hi Keith,

If you click on the photo it takes you to the Flickr page - but this is the link anyway ☺️ https://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/51917127093/

Thanks - found it!

No more details with the photo itself other than August 1959 and 'a local service'.

.... but one of the contributors comments said

"As this is a Saturday and the BSE to Liverpool Street stock can be seen stabled on the Thetford branch this is almost certainly the SO 07.45 BSE to Marks Tey. The LS train departed at 07.58. The train should have been a dmu. BSE depot closed at the turn of 1958/9. On M-F the 07.45 was a through train to Norwich via Colchester! The tender certainly seems well filled."

This is an amazing Sherlock Holmes style deduction resulting from spotting the Liverpool St. stock stabled in the far distance and can just be seen to the right of the J15.

That seems to confirm my hope that it was a Marks Tey service via Long Melford - very usefull as I am with a group modelling Lavenham in P4. 

Wonderful photos on the Robert Gadson/ Flickr site. I particularly liked the photo of the 309 electric unit passiing Colchester diesel depot as after electrification, I travelled to school on them in the 60s. We just referred to them as 'red electrics' in those days when all the other EMUs were green.

Thanks  again

Keith

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Thanks - found it!

No more details with the photo itself other than August 1959 and 'a local service'.

.... but one of the contributors comments said

"As this is a Saturday and the BSE to Liverpool Street stock can be seen stabled on the Thetford branch this is almost certainly the SO 07.45 BSE to Marks Tey. The LS train departed at 07.58. The train should have been a dmu. BSE depot closed at the turn of 1958/9. On M-F the 07.45 was a through train to Norwich via Colchester! The tender certainly seems well filled."

This is an amazing Sherlock Holmes style deduction resulting from spotting the Liverpool St. stock stabled in the far distance and can just be seen to the right of the J15.

That seems to confirm my hope that it was a Marks Tey service via Long Melford - very usefull as I am with a group modelling Lavenham in P4. 

Wonderful photos on the Robert Gadson/ Flickr site. I particularly liked the photo of the 309 electric unit passiing Colchester diesel depot as after electrification, I travelled to school on them in the 60s. We just referred to them as 'red electrics' in those days when all the other EMUs were green.

Thanks  again

Keith

No problem at all - I'm glad someone else found it interesting as well. I lost a good hour or so going through that person's Flickr account earlier, some great photos.