Cambrian Railways drawings

corneliuslundie

• RMweb Premium

Welsh Railway Records Volume 4:

Cambrian Railways Drawings. Part 1: 1853-1892

CambrianPart1frontcover170822.jpg.9429c7a144d664ea2acdb6de294a1cad.jpg

The first of two planned volumes of drawings based on the Mike Morton Lloyd/Trefor Jones collection held by the Circle. Because there were so many gaps in the drawings, it was decided to add to them and make the two volumes as complete as possible. This volume therefore contains

· 22 drawings of all the locomotives and tenders owned by the company up to 1892, including those which were rebuilt by the GWR

· 23 drawings of carriages and non-passenger carrying stock covering the same period

· 15 drawings of brake vans and goods vehicles from 1853 to 1892

· Complete detailed listings of all locomotives, carriages, non-passenger carrying stock, service vehicles, brake vans and goods stock owned by the company throughout its existence.

Many of these drawing have never been available before and all those except the MML/TJ collection have been redrawn for publication, usually from official drawings.

Part 2 is intended to continue the story to the Grouping.

Part 1 will very shortly be available, price £26.95 plus postage and packing from the Circle at wrrc.org.uk

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

So presumably there will be a drawing in this for the small 2-4-0T locos?

That's been available for some time in Mike Lloyd's Tanat Valley book, Late Cambrian and GWR condition. Just need as built to complete the set! 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

That's been available for some time in Mike Lloyd's Tanat Valley book, Late Cambrian and GWR condition. Just need as built to complete the set! 

Thanks, of course (I have that book!).

So just to check I understand this correctly, am I right in thinking that:

Book 1 includes any locos or rolling stock that were purchased by the Cambrian up to and including 1892.

Book 2 is anything that was purchased by the Cambrian (or passed into Cambrian ownership, like the original VoR tanks) after 1892.

So items that passed to the GWR at the Grouping could appear in either book, depending on when the Cambrian first bought them?

And that any subsequent modifications to locos/stock bought before 1892 will also be in Book 1?

• RMweb Premium

Essentially correct except that it was not felt necessary to include the narrow gauge as it has been covered so extensively elsewhere.

So GWR rebuilds of the earlier locos by the Cambrian or by the GWR  are in Part 1. I hope that all the locos are covered, though obviously only a selection of the carriages and wagons, and not much I am afraid on any rebuilds of carriages and wagons as the information is not available.

And I am sure there will be an Addendum in Part 2 with extra information relating to the earlier years that came to light later.

Just finished another wagon drawing for Part 2 yesterday. Still several to do.

Jonathan

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 26/07/2023 at 18:03, corneliuslundie said:

Yes, I am working on Part 2 which will take the story up to the Grouping. I hope to have it ready in the summer of 2025. There is still a lot to do and drawings still to find.

Jonathan

Oooh just found out about this title and will be picking up a copy pronto 👍 Regarding the Part 2 on the go would it happen to include anything on the what-if moguls? I presume the four 1921 Beyer Peacock tenders germinated from the ARLE's abandoned task of achieving a BR style standard class design, but this compact 2-6-0 drawing to fit the CR's turntables is something I've only just come across. 

https://steamindex.com/locotype/arle.htm

Regards

Steve

F5rXmoYbEAAsPCD.png