Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

London Bridge (at the end of the 20thC)

grahame

A little more wood mangling today and the run through lines track bed is nearly complete. I need to cut another west end section (where the points are at the other end of the through platforms) as I'm a little out by about three sixteenths and to arrange its supports and side locators to hold it in place but also to allow it to be removed.

Unfortunately I'm out tomorrow, working on another layout. Therefore, the next update won't be for a few days yet

• Like 10

Just discovered your thread, this look a lovely project.

As someone who commuted through London Bridge Station and worked in the Corn Exchange on Southwark Street (probably just outside your area covered I suspect) many years ago this is must to follow, plus I love urban layouts and your buildings look really good.

Thank you for posting.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, grahame said:

I thought that DCC was supposed to simplify and reduce the wiring

In my experience, it simplifies the wiring considerably but won't necessarily reduce it - in fact, if you don't follow the same methods with DC as are recommended for DCC, then DCC may increase the amount of wiring).

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, grahame said:

I thought that DCC was supposed to simplify and reduce the wiring

It may not reduce the number of wires, but should reduce the number of long wires, and the number of wires linking baseboards and control panels.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, grahame said:

I've managed to get the necessary timber today, ready for some more wood mangling. However, I'm out again tomorrow working on the other layout I'm involved with - undertaking a load of wiring including lots of soldering (odd as I thought that DCC was supposed to simplify and reduce the wiring); not my favourite thing. Consequently this layout will be DC.

So here's a pic showing the recently made layout edge buildings in place in front of the viaduct. Note the partial viaduct wall three arched sections just resting in place on the left which are cast resin from a mould I made a while back (see pic of master and mould below). I obviously need to cast more of them and paint them. Also the top part of viaduct (with the parapet wall) needs to be made as a master and a mould made to cast them. I ordered the necessary chemicals to make the mould and castings which has recently been delivered. Plenty to be getting on with.

DSC06459crperred.jpg.7d858b331225fd61adeafe9d00e434f5.jpg

DSC06461red.jpg.8c58e04ffeb21ae8c4e44ed49ea37b11.jpg

It's looking the part with the progress so far!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'd have thought that it doesn't really matter how long the wires are; long or short, you've still got to make a connection (probably soldered) at each end of them. 

Edited by grahame
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, grahame said:

I'd have thought that it doesn't really matter how long the wires are; you've still got to make a connection (probably soldered) at each end. 

I'm thinking back to my DC days.

When I needed to isolate a section of track e.g. aoco shed, platform end etc. that meant two wires coming back to a switch on the control panel. With DCC that's two wires and a number of soldering joints not needed. 

But I think this may be drawing us away from the main thrust of your layout topic. 

Which is looking really great...just as we all expected it would. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Layouts looking great!

From my electrical numptys viewpoint I've found wiring my layout for DCC easier than DC. I couldn't tell you if I have less or more wires though!

I've gone for the approach of wiring each section of rail which I'd have done for both DC or DCC. 

Where things are easier for me to understand is things like lights,  accessories or controlling points. I just wire up the input wires to the DCC device and wire up the corresponding output wires to the item. There's no control panel to wire up as I can get a PC to do that or atm as things are simple I'm just using my phone. Although I intend getting a cheapo tablet to replace that soon. And it's nice driving trains up to others.... messing about with lights etc which is easier on DCC.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, grahame said:

All this low pressure weather (which has been causing the wind and rain we've recently been having) has been playing havoc with my arthritis. I'm finding it painful to grip anything and even lifting the tea pot to pour a cuppa is difficult and requires both hands. Consequently I'm going to have a rest from modelling until things improve a bit (both weather and joints). Perhaps I'll wander down the local later this afternoon.

In that case, I hope you'll be able to pick up a pint pot! Good luck.

• Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

are you modellings the Richer Sounds shop on the ramp,  only time I travelled London bridge was to buy a 6 changer CD platery from them

IIRC the shop was in the Guinness  book of records for the most sales in value per sq foot of any shop.

10 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

IIRC the shop was in the Guinness  book of records for the most sales in value per sq foot of any shop.

That's right, for when it was in the walkway under Colechurch House. However, it's now moved to new premises in Tooley Street.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

Wot, more than Monk Bar Model Shop?????

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, acg5324 said:

That would also have been me helping them achieve that as it was on my walk to and from the office. I dont recall going in their Tooley St shop.

• Like 2