AVG Antivirus

Information....  My AVG Antivirus program has found a connection for URL:Blacklist on https://s2.adxpremium.services and aborted the connection. This has happen numerous time on numerous pages this morning. Definition

URL: blacklist is not a virus, but it is a list of websites that are termed as insecure by search engines, and these websites can harm your system. Q #2) Is URL blacklist a virus? Answer: No, it is not a virus, but it is just a list of insecure websites which are red-flagged by search engines

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, The Border Reiver said:

Still appearing on many pages...

Can you do a screenshot and provide the url please? As there's only one other comment and nobody has been in touch directly it doesn't look like a system-wide issue. It could be a false positive from AVG and it may only relate to external content on a page rather than it being the site itself.

So that sounds simply like AVG is seeing insecure links (i.e. http not https) within that site and cancelling the connection.

A http site isn't necessarily risky, but if you access one of those sites i.e. click on an advert then potentially it might ask for personal details like name, address email etc and that would be transmitted unencrypted between your desktop and the site.

It's not that the links are bad it's just that its not the done thing now to have http sites and most browsers will warn before you enter, some go further and tell you to go back but deep within advanced options you can accept the risk and connect to the site if you trust it.

• Moderators

Another user has sent me an email with a bit more substantive info of what triggered it for him which I'm looking into. However, nothing appears untoward and I think it's AVG being overly sensitive to something.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

ConverselyI use AVG and have not had this happen on this site - Win 10/Edge.

It may be something to do with an advert/link which you, as a Premium user, won't be getting but thanks Neil.

• Thanks 1

Looking at the AVG site, it seems to be a recurring problem of people being hampered from legitimate sites with this message.

And the answer.....upgrade to the premium version!

You can also submit the detected website to AVG if you think it is a false-positive for them to analyse and whitelist which may be the best option before paying for an upgrade.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

And the answer.....upgrade to the premium version!

AVG is banned in this house. Years ago, after trying to change from (paid-for) AVG on a device we were plagued by hidden nasties that caused all sorts of problems with no effectual support to resolve it. It seemed like AVG was worse than what it was intended to combat. Never, ever again.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

AVG is banned in this house. Years ago, after trying to change from (paid-for) AVG on a device we were plagued by hidden nasties that caused all sorts of problems with no effectual support to resolve it. It seemed like AVG was worse than what it was intended to combat. Never, ever again.

That matches my friend's experience too. I was staying in his house at the time and saw his woes trying to free himself from this monster. For years I used Norton, but by last year it seemed to be shouting "I'm here" and trying to change settings too much of the time so that, like Nile, I just use Windows Defender now. At least Norton quietly let itself be uninstalled without fuss.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I also use Sophos Home.

Back in the day when I worked for a software house Sophos was the only trusted AV. They extended corporate licencing to personal devices of employees too. Was sorry to lose it when I moved on. 

• RMweb Premium

Back in the days before Microsoft did built-in AV & malware protection AVG  used to be quite good and reliable. But since those times in common with most others it’s about generating income by ‘persuading’ users they need the paid for versions. Worry/scare tactics are a common tool used like with so many other spheres of everyday life.

Recently my sister-in-law had a door salesman try and persuade her she needed a new £5,000 composite front door because the inside handle on her UPVC one was a bit loose. Worrying her by saying that the lock et al was about to fail. Having been burgled twice it wasn’t nice.

Yesterday I went around, undid two screws on the inside and fitted new inner and outer door handles, a standard fitment I discovered and easy to replace. All that had failed was a nylon washer that couldn’t be replaced due to the nature of the design.

Cost? £ 27.50. 

Bob

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

Back in the day when I worked for a software house Sophos was the only trusted AV. They extended corporate licencing to personal devices of employees too. Was sorry to lose it when I moved on. 

They still do :) 5 devices per employee I think.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
Just now, The Border Reiver said:

Still getting it with Edge, Chrome and Firefox browsers

Did you try what AVG recommend? A user off forum said it hadn't worked for him.

We have been trying to resolve from this end but we can't, it's all on AVG.

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Did you try what AVG recommend? A user off forum said it hadn't worked for him.

We have been trying to resolve from this end but we can't, it's all on AVG.

I just downloaded Chrome so it's using default setting. Edge was an my PC after I installed windows I only used it once so it still has default settings