AVG Antivirus

7 minutes ago, MJI said:

I moved to Avast a few years ago as AVG got poor.

They are the same company. Avast acquired and merged with AVG in 2017.

I use AVG with little difficulty - I had that pop-up which I simply ignored.

On the assumption that the site reported by AVG is, in fact, safe, which I believe Andy has confirmed, you can put it as an exception in AVG and the warning no longer appears. Andy, please confirm again that the advert site is safe according to your own techies.

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2023 at 21:30, vikingsmb said:

happening on win 7 professional x64/chrome, (its fully updated via microsoft to Feb 23, then its got 0patch)

Just an observation - unless you purchased ESU (Extended Security Updates) from Microsoft, Windows 7 has only had sporadic patches for REALLY nasty things since January 2020. Using a Windows 7 PC connected to the internet is taking quite a risk unfortunately.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Just an observation - unless you purchased ESU (Extended Security Updates) from Microsoft, Windows 7 has only had sporadic patches for REALLY nasty things since January 2020. Using a Windows 7 PC connected to the internet is taking quite a risk unfortunately.

Certainly is with a poor AV like AVG ......

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/08/2023 at 21:27, Bucoops said:

i purchased esu so no drama on that, 

all three systems 2 laptops and 1 main system run fine, as I use 0patch to keep them patched. 

• RMweb Premium

Best way forward with AVG is to immediately uninstall it and invest in a decent antivirus suite, McAffee or Norton, expensive yes but worth it.,

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

I never recommend a product just because I use it, as by default my knowledge of alternatives will be virtually zero.  If someone is looking to move away from AVG then I suggest google something like "best antivirus software 2023", then look at reviews and opinions from some of the expert tech websites out there.  Careful though because some of the reviews that look independant won't be, they will simply be there to promote one product!

Steve