RMweb

EFE Rail - Autumn 2023 announcements inc LSWR 4-coach sets, LSWR vent van and N gauge J94

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

No - the comment was related to the Dapol D and D1 classes done in conjunction with Rails of Sheffield.

IIRC the 00 works locos feature significantly more metal in their construction….

Indeed they certainly do .

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2023 at 09:20, Robin Brasher said:

You can obtain a Hornby M7 and Adams Radial in LSWR livery on the second hand market. The T9s were rebuilt so the Hornby version in LSWR livery is a model as preserved. OO Works models are ready to run and they have made some locomotives in LSWR livery. 

The Adams Jubilee A12. But currently sold  out in LSWR livery. In 2019 they did the A10 but that’s long gone. Don’t think tank locos would somehow suit this set… but then that’s my preference . I’d be inclined to wait & see what just might be in the offing on this particular score….not that I have any knowledge of such. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Nile said:

Thanks for the responses above.

It looks like the only source of suitable RTR LSWR locos for these is OO works, I wonder if they will consider some re-runs?

Give them a ring or drop an email.Roderick Bruce & his wife are very approachable. Google their website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SRman said:

Having ordered the 4-car LSWR liveried set, I realised I only have two LSWR liveried M7 tanks that could haul them. Not ideal, although they'll look "in place" with the coaches, but at that time the M7s were really suburban locomotives rather than cross-country locos. They were used a lot on Southern branches later in their lives, but I got to thinking, what other locomotive types from LSWR days would suit the coaches? Possibly the most flexible one I came up with was the H15 4-6-0. These were a bit of a minefield for any manufacturer to produce, but would suit both passenger and goods work and express speeds where required. Any takers? 🙂

That would be a minefield to both research and produce as you correctly surmise.The H15…originally 1914…was a mixture of new build and rebuild…i.e. Drummond ( E13 & F14 ),Urie and Maunsell. Good luck with that,whomsoever takes it on…if there’s any brave soul willing. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

It enables the coupling mounting block to be set further back so the coupling bar face does not protrude past the buffer faces to much, or be too intrusive when the tension lock coupling is removed,  which are often seen as a negatives on other wagons. Either way a manufacturer cannot win it seems.

A definite ‘like’ vote from me on that one Graham.  It’s  what  good many, including me, do on kit built wagons. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

It enables the coupling mounting block to be set further back so the coupling bar face does not protrude past the buffer faces to much, or be too intrusive when the tension lock coupling is removed,  which are often seen as a negatives on other wagons. Either way a manufacturer cannot win it seems.

The limited distance the coupling bar extends beyond the buffer faces is one of many things that impressed me about these vans so there’s one very happy customer here. I just wish other manufacturers would follow suit as there seems to be an unfortunate trend towards couplings sticking out unnecessarily far in some recent releases.

I’ve ordered the post-36 SR 1406 and am looking forward to the future possibility of a post-36 1408 and even a 1410 - despite the latter’s reduced numbers by my modelling year of 1947, I found a pic of one (43124) in post-36 SR livery in 1948. I notice Kernow have already modelled this wagon in O gauge so hope to see it reduced to OO too.

I’m no LSWR expert, but I wonder if the underframe from these vans would also work under a nice D1316 open…

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

West Hill shortened magnetic couplings work very well with these sets btw.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

West Hill shortened magnetic couplings work very well with these sets btw.

Thanks for confirming regarding the West Hill coupling on the Cross Country sets, although the original comment was aimed at the Covered Vans, I apologise for any confusion caused by producing too much LSWR stuff... :) 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Graham_Muz said:

I apologise for an confusion caused by producing too much LSWR stuff... :) 

I suppose, what with the T3 and the LSWR Corridor sets in coming too, it must get that way at times 🤪

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BenL said:

I’ve ordered the post-36 SR 1406 and am looking forward to the future possibility of a post-36 1408 and even a 1410 - despite the latter’s reduced numbers by my modelling year of 1947, I found a pic of one (43124) in post-36 SR livery in 1948. I notice Kernow have already modelled this wagon in O gauge so hope to see it reduced to OO too.

I’m no LSWR expert, but I wonder if the underframe from these vans would also work under a nice D1316 open…

Neither point had escaped my attention, I was trying get a reasonable spread across the first first six releases, hopefully sales will be positive to encourage further releases to make use of the tooling suites full potential. 

Indeed the D1316 open shared pretty much the same chassis as the D1408 but in 00 it is very close in looks to the D1379 recently nicely produced by our friends at Rapido.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I suppose, what with the T3 and the LSWR Corridor sets in coming too, it must get that way at times 🤪

Well at least 50% of that statement is true...

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

15 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I can totally appreciate that in both cases for the overall appearance. It just seems to defeat the benefit of having nem pockets when at a non-standard height. In either case it's not the end of the world and won't prevent me from picking up a couple.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I apologise for any confusion caused by producing too much LSWR stuff... :) 

I should think so, too, Graham. The fact that the market is eagerly gobbling up everything that is offered is obviously no indicator of popularity....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 06/08/2023 at 09:14, Graham_Muz said:

Well at least 50% of that statement is true...

Now we just need the other 50% to come true. That is the T3 of course.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 04/08/2023 at 09:34, Ian Hargrave said:

The Adams Jubilee A12. But currently sold  out in LSWR livery. In 2019 they did the A10 but that’s long gone. Don’t think tank locos would somehow suit this set… but then that’s my preference . I’d be inclined to wait & see what just might be in the offing on this particular score….not that I have any knowledge of such. 

I have not got much knowledge of LSWR coaches but there is a picture of Adams Radial no. 426 with a rake of main line bogie stock at Challow Hill cutting  circa 1902 on page 103 of Swanage 125 Years of Railways by B. L, Jackson. To me the coaches look like an LSWR cross country set as modelled by EFE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I have not got much knowledge of LSWR coaches but there is a picture of Adams Radial no. 426 with a rake of main line bogie stock at Challow Hill cutting  circa 1902 on page 103 of Swanage 125 Years of Railways by B. L, Jackson. To me the coaches look like an LSWR cross country set as modelled by EFE.

I hope you don’t mind but if the date is correct then it wouldn’t be the cross country sets as modelled by EFE, they were built between 1908-12.  it could be one of the Suburban sets built around the turn of the century 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 11/08/2023 at 20:51, Iltman said:

I hope you don’t mind but if the date is correct then it wouldn’t be the cross country sets as modelled by EFE, they were built between 1908-12.  it could be one of the Suburban sets built around the turn of the century 

Thank you.  The date in the caption may be wrong but Adams Radial no 426 worked on the Swanage branch until just before May 1924. The coaches do look similar to the EFE cross country set.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Thank you.  The date in the caption may be wrong but Adams Radial no 426 worked on the Swanage branch until just before May 1924. The coaches do look similar to the EFE cross country set.

Yes, but Oxford Rail (as was) dontz do the 4-4--2T in LSWR livery - hint to Hornby?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

Yes, but Oxford Rail (as was) dontz do the 4-4--2T in LSWR livery - hint to Hornby?

Both Oxford and Hornby versions were made in LSWR Adams livery - do you mean the later Drummond livery?

• Like 2