How to tell of it’s a Poole or modern model

TomJ

For locos produced by Farish both past and present (black 5, 8F, castle etc)  is there anyway of telling from the numbers if it’s an old Poole tooling or a modern Bachmann release. Because I know Bachmann did sell some of the older locos - and so the box still says “Graham Farish by Bachmann”

Seen an offer on eBay at a decent price but hard to tell from photos (unboxed) which it is 

Thanks

54 minutes ago, TomJ said:

For locos produced by Farish both past and present (black 5, 8F, castle etc)  is there anyway of telling from the numbers if it’s an old Poole tooling or a modern Bachmann release. Because I know Bachmann did sell some of the older locos - and so the box still says “Graham Farish by Bachmann”

Seen an offer on eBay at a decent price but hard to tell from photos (unboxed) which it is 

Thanks

I look for the tiny front bogie wheels. No guarantee if they are not tiny that it's a new one as seller may have fitted a more modern bogie, but a useful clue if they are tiny/pizza cutters as I can't imaging anyone fitting an old bogie to a newer loco.

Cheers

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I fear I may have just paid over the odds for a 20+yr old model that won’t run on my DCC layout. Caveat emptor!

My fault - I’d completely forgotten the history of Farish and the older models 

Fingers crossed I can cancel or sort it out. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Silver wheels is the big give-away, although in the year or two prior to the Poole factory closing Farish did start chemically blackening wheelsets. Early Chinese releases of the Poole era models had an improved chassis. 

Looking for DCC compatibility is the big thing to look out for.

Many Poole era steam locos tended to have the coupling rods screwed to just the middle set of driving wheels - molded pips on the outer ones. Molded on handrails were standard on Poole models too.

You can find N Gauge catalogues for Farish up to 2007 here: https://www.ness-st.co.uk/N-gauge-catalogues.html

Farish under Bachmann ownership have re-issues new models with numbers previously made in Poole. 

Steven B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Steven B said:

Silver wheels is the big give-away, although in the year or two prior to the Poole factory closing Farish did start chemically blackening wheelsets. Early Chinese releases of the Poole era models had an improved chassis. 

Looking for DCC compatibility is the big thing to look out for.

Many Poole era steam locos tended to have the coupling rods screwed to just the middle set of driving wheels - molded pips on the outer ones. Molded on handrails were standard on Poole models too.

You can find N Gauge catalogues for Farish up to 2007 here: https://www.ness-st.co.uk/N-gauge-catalogues.html

Farish under Bachmann ownership have re-issues new models with numbers previously made in Poole. 

Steven B

Interesting link…..had a nosey at the 2007 catalogue…..9F and Class 222……..don’t think either appeared. If you type in the 9F catalogue number it brings up the WD!

5 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

Hallo,

item numbers of Poole produced models were 4digits, Chinese produced models are 3-3digits.

es grüßt

pc 

Is that still the case for Poole era tooling models that were later released and sold by Bachmann? I know of a few that this could apply to 

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, TomJ said:

Is that still the case for Poole era tooling models that were later released and sold by Bachmann? I know of a few that this could apply to 

If it is a Poole era designed model that has been produced in China it will have the 6 digit number. 

Edited by Kris

19 hours ago, Kris said:

If it is a Poole era designed model that has been produced in China it will have the 6 digit number. 

Well said. Thought that was a given 🙃

...and also Made in China stamped on the underneath of the item. UK produced models have Britain stamped on it.

Also noticed that the box of old Poole items produced before the transition have yellow stripes at each end

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

Also noticed that the box of old Poole items produced before the transition have yellow stripes at each end

Apart from the ones that don't:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314759229412?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=qugrzrkjrbi&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

A white/cream colours vac-formed box insert is another thing more likely to be found on a Poole era model - some Chinese produced models have them but the vast majority are clear plastic. I don't believe Bachmann used the white box inserts on any Chinese made locos.

Steven B

• RMweb Premium

But then with second hand, you need to watch out for old Poole tooling items being sold in new tooling boxes, Mk1 coaches in particular are good for this (usually accidental) issue.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Another thing to look out for with the Poole (and ex-Poole) steam locomotives is the motor extending into the cab and a lack of cab glazing, but the main and quickest giveaway is the already mentioned wheels. Drivers are of solid non-see through plastic centres with spindly thin spoke representations usually with solid spoked tiny pony wheels although the Prarie, 4MT, 8F and Crab have larger sized pony wheels.

The coaches are pretty easy to tell apart too. They're too flush glazed for starters with poorly defined gangway bellows and the bogie mounted coupler pockets stand out a mile.

• Agree 1