Cataloguing a personal collection

• RMweb Premium

For all of my cataloging I use numbers on my Mac, however I can then access it via the iPad or my phone. It free! That magic number. Built by Apple so it does work, compatible with other office programs. 

• Like 1

Hi himynameisphil,

I suppose it really depends on what he wants the catalogue for. If it is just to keep track of which engines/rolling stock he has it is just as easy to do it on paper. A large desktop hardback note pad can be used. If it is for insurance purposes take a photo of each engine/rolling stock on his phone. Then put them into folders on the phone. If you have a PC you could burn the photos to a CD/DVD for him.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

If you use a proper database, you could include a photo in the description.

Which is exactly what the program is capable of that opened this discussion. 

In other words, the hard work is already done,  except that it needs windows. 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Kris said:

For all of my cataloging I use numbers on my Mac, however I can then access it via the iPad or my phone. It free! That magic number. Built by Apple so it does work, compatible with other office programs. 

+1. 

And agreed, re the final sentence. 

Best

Scott. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

It must be dark in his house 😁

Around the corner from my previous house, a neighbour had those security shutters, that were down 24/7. Must have been dark, dank and horrible in there.

My current house has those glass bricks in the bathroom what used to be the window and I hate the fact that you can't get natural airflow.

• Friendly/supportive 2

I use excell in office 365, this has the benefit of linking to my phone or iPad so when I am out I know exactly what I have and specifically stock levels like track or scenery items I might need so I can quickly reference what I need. It also stops buying duplicates which is a pain. In addition if you insure your items the insurance will ask for a list. You can add photos to excell, the end result is how much work you want to put in, I did start with access but this does take a lot of understanding to get the same result in excell.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

, a neighbour had those security shutters, that were down 24/7.

Aren't those the type of neighbours who get a visit from some young gentlemen and ladies in blue uniform?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andymsa said:

I did start with access but this does take a lot of understanding

I never really got the hang of Access even after going on a course on how to operate it.

I could make a very basic database and that's it.

That's the reason I'm mainly still on Lotus Approach.

It's very close to the old dBase

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

Aren't those the type of neighbours who get a visit from some young gentlemen and ladies in blue uniform?

You'd think so and of course they use slightly more electricity than normal - to keep the indoor garden fit and healthy!

Sadly, they changed the uniform colour to almost black a few years ago in Victoria. I don't like it.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/from-military-style-to-nypd-navy-blue-the-evolution-of-the-victoria-police-uniform/news-story/3fc1004c5dcc691eab04ca9c5afa9b14