Mosslanda an IKEA offering for the short of space.

Surely an ideal situation would be to buy two of them turn them upside down with the taller legs facing outwarda and bolt/screw/glue them together to form an inverted U shaped baseboard section?

Then you have a reasonable amount of space to model on, a fairly stable board and a hidden section for wiring inside the inverted U shape.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Matloughe said:

Surely an ideal situation would be to buy two of them turn them upside down with the taller legs facing outwarda and bolt/screw/glue them together to form an inverted U shaped baseboard section?

Then you have a reasonable amount of space to model on, a fairly stable board and a hidden section for wiring inside the inverted U shape.

Neat suggestion.  The IKEA page is here - https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/mosslanda-picture-ledge-white-90292103/#content

5 hours ago, Matloughe said:

I’m not sure why you would go to all that trouble though with such a small baseboard size. Be far easier just to cut a piece of foamcore/gator board to the right size and be done with it. That’s what I’d do.

IMHO the challenge with IKEA products is to work within the constraints set by the item. 

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Will watch this with great interest.

I am currently experimenting with Mosslanda shelves for a OO gauge modular system, having moved from a house with a garden layout to a city centre flat. With edges on both sides of the shelf rolling stock won't fall off the sides if it derails. Given a 7 year old may be involved in some of the operating this may be important!

The Mosslanda is available in 2 lengths and I think has good potential as a baseboard for micros. My plan is double track in OO (minimal scope for scenery unlike N or possibly TT:120) with various permutations of crossover, points and sidings on each shelf, all sharing a universal connection like the modular baseboard concept to give a variety of operational options. Still working on the technical details of joining them togehter and the electrics. Follows the principle of an earlier micro layout that was a terminus station that had an additional board that could extend the scenic section where there was room.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Will watch this with great interest.

I am currently experimenting with Mosslanda shelves for a OO gauge modular system, having moved from a house with a garden layout to a city centre flat. With edges on both sides of the shelf rolling stock won't fall off the sides if it derails. Given a 7 year old may be involved in some of the operating this may be important!

The Mosslanda is available in 2 lengths and I think has good potential as a baseboard for micros. My plan is double track in OO (minimal scope for scenery unlike N or possibly TT:120) with various permutations of crossover, points and sidings on each shelf, all sharing a universal connection like the modular baseboard concept to give a variety of operational options. Still working on the technical details of joining them togehter and the electrics. Follows the principle of an earlier micro layout that was a terminus station that had an additional board that could extend the scenic section where there was room.

You should be checking out James Hilton's blog https://paxton-road.blogspot.com. he's already got a start on his layout

Ian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Strangely enough I was looking at these shelves the other day in IKEA as a possibility for a fiddle yard cassette system, wondering if I could fit two tracks across the width. I then pondered about fixing two back to back to make a traverser with a central strengthening spine.

Never occurred to me that these could form the baseboard of a micro!

Watching with interest.

Steve S

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ben B said:

I've actually got two of these underway, one in N, one in 009 :) As soon as I saw the shelves in Ikea, I was taken by their possibility for a micro layout. A lot of Ikea stuff is dangerously like that...

Yes, I actually go in there to plan what I will use for my next 'micro' project and always find something interesting. I enjoy the challenge of making something fit into the space and everything Ikea is so well made for layouts (ie straight, flat, rigid, light) and so much cheaper than the ubiquitous laser cut baseboards.

This is a 'Mosslanda' 110cm cut down to 80cm and with a spare offcut of wood glued to the front for a little more depth. The vertical section at rear is perfect for supporting a backscene and I will be using two of the 55cm matching shelves as storage cassettes at each end. It's my first foray into EM and will just be a stretch of single track running along a shoreline (i'm not a huge fan of points!) with a halt and crossing. It can be lifted easily with three fingers.

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

• Like 8