Unable to use RMweb on laptop

Same here - and when clicking "back" to leave the unwanted redirect, it sends you to a series of other scam-looking sites.

I re-enabled my ad-blocker to prevent the redirect to post this, but with it disabled can't get in to the site at all.

Screenshot2023-08-14at18_40_04.png.9c3bedbb7fb61953ab919f3a8d151311.pngScreenshot2023-08-14at18_40_15.png.7b200c7873e9445cd68c46f14c2dde64.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

FWIW I'm using Mozilla and have my normal access - no adverts...

44 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

As soon as I try to open rmWeb up in Firefox or Chrome it changes to a page claiming I have won a prize from BT. all other web pages work fine.

I'm not being silly here but how did you post this?

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

no problems

Gold and Premium users haven't reported issues so it's going to be something in the ad coding.

I have escalated it to our IT dept as that's out of my direct control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I just tried to get in on my mobile and it said I did not have permission to see my followed threads! Signed in again and it is all working fine. From my memory this seems to happen about once every three to four months so not really a problem just an annoyance.

I noticed this earlier and sent an email to BRM - in my opinion this was evidence that the forum site itself had been hacked by scammers hoping the vulnerable and confused would start clicking for prizes and hand over bank details when requested.

Obvs the scammers had no idea how sharp, switched on, and technically cute Railway Modellers actually are......really wasted their electronic breath on this community.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Gold and Premium users haven't reported issues so it's going to be something in the ad coding.

I have escalated it to our IT dept as that's out of my direct control.

Has happened to me a few times this evening, the last time within the last 10 minutes or so.  I'm a premium member, using Safari.  I realised it was a scam as there would be no reason for BT to be advertising prizes in Dollars!  At first I thought it was a virus in my laptop, but evidently not as it only happens when I open RMWeb.

• Informative/Useful 1

I was getting this earlier on, mid afternoon and early evening.

Using Safari on a Mac.

It didn’t happen on on my iPad (also Safari), at first, but started shortly afterwards.

I haven’t tried the site for a few hours since.

It appears to have stopped on both devices now, at 2250.

• Thanks 1

I got a red screen last night saying that the site was blocked due to linking to fortunateperson.space.  I didn't follow the link on the blocked message, as it might itself have been some form of malware.  Searching for mentions of that website suggested it is considered a borderline scam site.  

• Like 1

Just had it every time I try to enter a subforum from the main forum page, e.g. clicking Dapol, Layout topics, UK Prototype Questions etc.

Redirects me to fortunateperson.space, and correctly identifies my ISP and says "Congratualtions Vodafone customer" other than that identical to the BT message above.

That's chrome on Android.

I'll screenshot of it comes up again

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

I'll screenshot of it comes up again

Sorry you ended up being the guinea pig Jo but that's helped immensely.

I'd quarantined a function last night and all seemed quiet. To try and ensure it wasn't incidental I opened the function up again hence you seeing what you did. I'd now disabled it again so hopefully it shouldn't appear again (given a short while). I can now feed the vulnerability back to the developer.

You have done your bit for 'the greater good' today! 😁

• Thanks 1