Bachmann Scottish Class 20s

AY Mod

3 minutes ago, Chilly said:

The others at the front (disc) are they supposed to light up?

Dunno, I’m not a 20 expert, but I’m guessing the compromise is to use 2 for reds each end that don’t change to white 

IMG_9002.jpeg

IMG_9001.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Dunno, I’m not a 20 expert, but I’m guessing the compromise is to use 2 for reds each end that don’t change to white 

IMG_9002.jpeg

IMG_9001.jpeg

Just as a 20 should be, four white headcode discs and two red markers.  

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/08/2023 at 18:16, Chilly said:

Does that mean the 4 at the front also light up?

On 25/08/2023 at 18:27, NBL said:

Yes

I don't understand the obsession with lights that would hardly be seen on the prototype.  

You obviously don't run your trains in the dark like some do. 

Most diesels were built with a circular lense in the lower portion of the disc. This meant that a loco displaying "left and right" discs would allow the light to shine through. The other two discs would have the top half folded over he bottom half to blank off the light. 

However, I am sure some diesels were built with individual switches for each disc as well as individually switched tail lights.  It wasn't until mid 1980s when the older diesels had both tail lights wired to the same switch  

2 hours ago, Covkid said:

You obviously don't run your trains in the dark like some do. 

Most diesels were built with a circular lense in the lower portion of the disc. This meant that a loco displaying "left and right" discs would allow the light to shine through. The other two discs would have the top half folded over he bottom half to blank off the light. 

However, I am sure some diesels were built with individual switches for each disc as well as individually switched tail lights.  It wasn't until mid 1980s when the older diesels had both tail lights wired to the same switch  

I do sometimes operate in the dark, and have very subdued lighting on my stock, if lighting is fitted.

Unless you were very close to a loco in those days, you couldn't see the lights, especially with the layers of dirt that formed over the lenses and headcode panels.

If you stood as far away as we normally view our models, the lights were all but invisible unless in the darkest of nights, in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 1 month later...

I'd be very surprised if the tooling was any different between the models so does the whether or not they can be fitted with ploughs relate to whether the prototype ever carried them? I thought the real ones had brackets fitted if they regularly carried ploughs so it was an easy job of fitting/removing them

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Any ideas on how to reduce the light bleed through the closed discs?

Even setting the brightest as low as the decoder (Zimo MX637P22) will allow the discs may as well be transparent.

13 hours ago, Kaput said:

Any ideas on how to reduce the light bleed through the closed discs?

Even setting the brightest as low as the decoder (Zimo MX637P22) will allow the discs may as well be transparent.

Paint the back of the discs matt black?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Paint the back of the discs matt black?

I had worried that would the only suggestion.

For a hamfisted numpty that hasn't attempted to paint anything other than an Airfix model plane in years, what exact sort of paint should I be trying?

I also assume applying with a brush will be better than trying to spray it.

1 hour ago, Kaput said:

I had worried that would the only suggestion.

For a hamfisted numpty that hasn't attempted to paint anything other than an Airfix model plane in years, what exact sort of paint should I be trying?

I also assume applying with a brush will be better than trying to spray it.

Almost anything matt black would do; acrylic or enamel. I’d use a brush and paint from the centre to the edge. Two thin coats would be better than one thick one. I thought that I should have mentioned that if the discs are almost transparent, they would look better with a coat of white (or appropriate colour) paint on the front but if you’re nervous, perhaps not.

• Thanks 1