Bachmann Scottish Class 20s

AY Mod

• Moderators

NEW MODELS UNVEILED DURING MONK BAR MODEL SHOP’S BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS

35-355R-02 2.jpg

On Wednesday 23rd August 2023 Bachmann Europe Plc attended the 60th birthday celebrations of Monk Bar Model Shop. Located in the historic city of York, Monk Bar has been a stockist of Bachmann products since they were first launched in 1989 and was named Bachmann Retailer of the Year in 2007. Bachmann used the event to launch two new Sales Area Exclusive Models which were on display throughout the day. Fittingly, as the models depict two Scottish prototypes, these will be available from Bachmann retailers in Scotland, the North East and North West of England, and North Yorkshire.

The two models depict Scottish Class 20 duo Nos. 20048 and 20100. Both examples sport Disc Headcodes and carry the West Highland Terrier logos as applied by Eastfield Depot during the mid-1980s, where the pair were allocated. No. 20048 went on to be preserved and can now be found running on the Severn Valley Railway – again carrying BR Blue livery with West Highland Terrier logos. No. 20100 however was scrapped in 1991.

Both models will be available in standard format or with SOUND FITTED and these have a RRP of £224.95 and £324.95 respectively. With delivery due in September 2023, all versions can be ordered from retailers located in the specified regions now.

Item No. Description RRP Availability
35-355RJ Class 20/0 Disc Headcode 20048 BR Blue £224.95 September

35-355RJSF Class 20/0 Disc Headcode 20048 BR Blue SOUND FITTED £324.95 September

35-355RJSF-01.jpg

35-355RJSF.jpg
35-356RJ Class 20/0 Disc Headcode 20100 BR Blue £224.95 September
35-356RJSF Class 20/0 Disc Headcode 20100 BR Blue SOUND FITTED £324.95 September

35-356RJSF-02.jpg

35-356RJSF-01.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I renumbered one of the original batch of 2021 models to 20048, but I missed that it (and seemingly most Scottish ones) had blue cab-side window surrounds. Well spotted, Bachmann. I can't find any in Scotland with silver, but maybe they have pics of 20100 with silver? Only view I can find is 1980 with blue. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Of course, to us old sods, D8048 has quite a claim to fame.

Perhaps a possibility Mr Bachmann?

Mike.

And April 69 she ran past 85A whilst the open day was in progress showing off her claim to fame!!! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

I renumbered one of the original batch of 2021 models to 20048, but I missed that it (and seemingly most Scottish ones) had blue cab-side window surrounds. Well spotted, Bachmann. I can't find any in Scotland with silver, but maybe they have pics of 20100 with silver? Only view I can find is 1980 with blue. 

Seems to have been a Scottish thing - most if not all of their Met-Cam Class 101 DMUs had blue-painted window frames too.

33 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Of course, to us old sods, D8048 has quite a claim to fame.

Perhaps a possibility Mr Bachmann?

Mike.

Do we know whether D8048 carried a reversed double-arrow logo on both sides? And whether D8049 was the same? I looked into this some time ago because I suspected these two were possibly repainted to show off the then new blue livery as a pair, but in typical Sod's Law fashion could only find photos of one side of D8048, and the opposite side of D8049 which had the correct logo. The reason I ask is because Scottish Class 24 D5068 had reversed logos on the driver's doors and correct logos on the secondman's (above Law didn't apply to this one!) meaning the loco displayed right and wrong logos on each side. Did D8048 + D8049 display the same when coupled nose-to-nose due to a similar misunderstanding?

(Wandering a little off-topic, unless Mr Bachmann goes "Hmmm...!" - although the conversation with factory could be interesting..... "You want us to deliberately print the logos back-to-front?!")

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ed-farms said:

Guessing there will be other 20's announced in due course, the norm is for all rep's to get a model

There are no other reps area specials of the c20. Confirmed by the Bachmann staff themselves.

• Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, E100 said:

Very very tempted by one of these... ...or even both if budgets allow...

I'll definitely be getting 048 but would also like 100 if finances permit , so many loco's on pre order right now and others I want in the pipeline , might be time to see how much a kidney is worth these days lol

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Struggling to find a picture of 100 with silver window frames , still a useful model for renumberings though 

Yes, as it presumably has snowplough brackets? - not clear on the photos of the model. 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Just a thought. It is conjectured that people would be reluctant to pay the price of a four-car MU. A pair of these 20s with sound would be at least as expensive.

Not quite, a pair of these sound fitted is £30 less than a sound fitted Bachmann 4TEP, using the RRP. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not quite, a pair of these sound fitted is £30 less than a sound fitted Bachmann 4TEP, using the RRP. 

Roy

For me at least, once I'm spending £650 on something £30 becomes something of an irrelevance, although as a Yorkshireman, if I can save £30 than count me in!

Mike.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Yes, as it presumably has snowplough brackets? - not clear on the photos of the model. 

On the last picture posted in the thread 100 is to the left of the picture and shows it has the plough brackets at the nose end

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Ah, yes! Well spotted! 

Will be a handy one for me having the Scottish buffer beam arrangement , was going to buy the 072 that's due soon and strip it for a repaint due to it being weathered but don't think I'll bother now as 072 doesn't have plough brackets

Edited by sulzer71
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1