Farish Thompson coaches

Crepello

50 minutes ago, Crepello said:

My maroon ones are on their way from Sheffield.

Mine too, I already have a rake of the Blood & Custard ones but didn't need any persuading to add some maroon ones, they look exquisite in the pictures and I am sure they won't disappoint.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

I assume the maroon Thompsons would have been used on secondary services on the ECML and the GEML, as I haven’t located any photos suggesting otherwise. 

Edited by Crepello
Extra text
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Crepello said:

I assume the maroon Thompsons would have been used on secondary services on the ECML and the GEML, as I haven’t located any photos suggesting otherwise. 

Yes, I am sure they would have.  They also got pinched a lot by the Southern and Western Regions during the summers.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, acourtrail said:

Yes, I am sure they would have.  They also got pinched a lot by the Southern and Western Regions during the summers.

How much they got used by other regions would depend on where you were in those regions. Very few Thompsons reached Devon and even fewer got to Cornwall. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kris said:

How much they got used by other regions would depend on where you were in those regions. Very few Thompsons reached Devon and even fewer got to Cornwall. 

However, Peter Gray has a least one photo of a maroon Thompson vehicle in a two coach train on a far Western branchline.  Can't remember where he took the photo, or which book it's in.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, melmoth said:

However, Peter Gray has a least one photo of a maroon Thompson vehicle in a two coach train on a far Western branchline.  Can't remember where he took the photo, or which book it's in.

Most likely on the line to Hemyock. There were 2 ex LNER coaches used there. These were a real exception. There were 2 or 3 through trains to Torbay that used Thompsons on summer Saturdays as well. I've not heard of them reaching into Cornwall but would not totally rule it out. 

Got my four today, very pleased with them, I already have a rake in Blood & Custard but think they look even better in the maroon livery. 

Not cheap, but they are exquisite models and well worth the money in my opinion - as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Roy

20230829_112827.jpg

• Like 5

Maroon Thompsons could be found virtually anywhere and behind almost anything, and on all manner of services mixed in with Stanier coaches and all sorts, you would be surprised... Quite a few received yellow stripes for 1st class, and some were around long enough to get the Maroon Ends treatment. They really are a fantastic model, I've been looking forward to the maroon ones arriving!

I've definitely got a picture in one of my Hydraulic books of some Thompsons working an East-West service in Cornwall.

Here are some pictures I've collected to help the situation;

York Class 46 D161 York to Cardiff March 67 J808

Stnd. 4MT 75072 near Evercreech. Jul'65.

66 283 230766 Abergele D226

c.10/1964 - York.

D256_Unknown

27004_ManPicc

The old Leeds City (1).

Sheffield Victoria 18th November 1967. Class EM2 27006, Pandora, approaching.

Edited by Benn
Bungled the pictures
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The first coach behind D1030 'Western Musketeer' in this Simon Howard September '66 photo at Dawlish Warren is a Thompson...

DAWCAEBAYD1030BSYPD.WARREN1966.jpg.e865ccec855c064a7d3b9c51a2fd462c.jpg.c47cb3ecb1ef6e33b75fc15acf98cf30.jpg

It's a pity it's not in colour as the formation is as follows : D1030 in blue / small yellow panel livery with small hand painted BR arrow logo (applied a month before the pic was taken), maroon Thompson, blue & grey Mk1, maroon Mk1 with yellow 1st class stripe, and the camping coaches are all in choc & cream!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Got finally my Thompsons.

Those are the best Britsh N-Gauge Models I have ever seen, also I like them fitted with short couplers.

Got all variants in Blood and Custard and Maroon livery, the new Full Brake Coaches inclusive.

I hope Bachmann will bring also Thompson Suburbans in the future.

5 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

I hope Bachmann will bring also Thompson Suburbans in the future.

Realistically it is unlikely as Hornby produce them in OO so they are not going to be come part of the OO range and thus share research costs etc. I could be proved wrong but most models are in both ranges so clearly they see the benefit of sharing the costs out

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

Realistically it is unlikely as Hornby produce them in OO so they are not going to be come part of the OO range and thus share research costs etc. I could be proved wrong but most models are in both ranges so clearly they see the benefit of sharing the costs out

8F 😉

• Agree 1