GWR Engine Hoist drawings

GWR57xx

• RMweb Gold

The GWR seems to have had a standard engine hoist design that was used all over the system (as modelled by the Ratio 545 kit in OO).

Have the drawings for this hoist been published anywhere? e.g. GWR Journal?

I’d like to build a 7mm version. 
I have quite a few photos where these hoists appear as background extras, where the main focus was usually an engine, but none which were directly interested in the hoist.

If there are no drawings, is the Ratio kit a faithful replica?

I could always buy one and upscale (reverse engineer) it…

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You're probably ahead of me, but if the worst comes to the worst is it viable to buy a 4mm version and scale it up?

Mike.

Yes, that’s plan B 🙂. As far as I can tell from comparing the Ratio kit to various partial photos it’s a pretty good facsimile.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Don't know if @Simond can help?

I remember a discussion about this on his 7mm thread round about page 47 but don't know what the outcome was!

I vaguely remember that. Just been back to have a look. Unfortunately all the photos disappeared in the crash.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

The GWR seems to have had a standard engine hoist design that was used all over the system (as modelled by the Ratio 545 kit in OO).

Have the drawings for this hoist been published anywhere? e.g. GWR Journal?

I’d like to build a 7mm version. 
I have quite a few photos where these hoists appear as background extras, where the main focus was usually an engine, but none which were directly interested in the hoist.

If there are no drawings, is the Ratio kit a faithful replica?

I could always buy one and upscale (reverse engineer) it…

Apparently the Ratio one was based on the one at Laira, Plymouth, if that helps.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi guys - I'm looking at making a model of the Didcot engine hoist for the Intentio lifting shop kit - did someone mention they have a drawing from GWJ? I've got a collection of them so hopefully have the right issue.  Cheers!

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, alanbuttler said:

Hi guys - I'm looking at making a model of the Didcot engine hoist for the Intentio lifting shop kit - did someone mention they have a drawing from GWJ? I've got a collection of them so hopefully have the right issue.  Cheers!

Hi Alan,

I couldn’t find any drawings of the GWR engine hoist, in GWJ or anywhere else I’m afraid.

I need a 7mm version, so if you’re going to produce one that would save me the effort of bodging one up from photos and copying the Ratio OO one (and be much better to boot).

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with 🙂.

7 hours ago, alanbuttler said:

Will it be available in 4mm also? I no Intentio is going to produce the lifting shop in 4mm at some point. 

Thanks Neil 

I believe laira an Didcot had identical hoists. When laira was modernised the hoist moved locations an was modified/changed and no longer had a external arm with winch like when built. There were some other alterations to the ladders etc. The ratio model represents the later version that was at the diesel site. I've highlighted a picture of the part that was removed. Obviously Didcot still has this winch. Hope this might help 

Screenshot_20210817-113803~3.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BrushType4 said:

Hard to tell from the description.

Clicking on one of the links brought up a list of item categories. There were two categories that looked to be of interest, I think “6: lifting gear; hoists” or “10: cranes; hoists”. (I’ve probably mis-quoted the descriptions).

It looks like the drawings we need would be in their archives somewhere, as they are very extensive, but I think a visit would be needed to view the drawings and obtain copies?

A visit to Didcot, if permission could be obtained to scan their hoist, would probably be easier?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...