Should Realtrack consider a Class 153?

Pillar

I was reading through this thread today which sums up the limitations of Hornby's Class 153 model. Although newer and better in a lot of ways than their old 142 and ex-Lima 156, it's nothing like in the same league as Realtrack's 156 and 143, or Bachmann's 158 (or even their 150).

Unfortunately it isn't just a lack of finer details or features which can be corrected by modelling; the basic shape of the body is at fault.

All of that said, who else would like to see Realtrack produce a 153 to the same standard as their 156? It's a well-travelled class which has worn a lot of liveries, and being a single car the cost would be lower.

• Agree 4

A 153 (and 155)  will be ace and I'd be right up for those by any manufacturer who can get the shape right!

I had planned on a major project combining the best bits of the Dapol/Hornby 155 and 153 to make one but have sold these as its a project too far and I'd heard Heljan were doing the 153 so thought they'd do both scales. Slightly surprised they didn't go for 4mm as well tbh.

I'm sure 153 would be a good seller. Its well travelled, has loads of liveries and is small!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A new 155 is a bit of a leftover at this point.

The 7 survivors arent shy of liveries either.

An accurate 153 is going to need at least 5 bodyshell sides to cover variants… plus NR emerging versions… 

So effectively 10 toolings+ to do a full range of 153/155…

you could do pretty much all of 320, 321, 455, 456, 150, 317/318/319 in less bodyside toolings, and just need different ends for them.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Imagine it’s more likely a Class 153 in 4mm will come from Heljan.

If Heljan think there is a return on investment with enough people wanting to buy, I’m sure they’ll produce a 4mm model. This would further recoup the cost of the research done to create the tooling for the 7mm model.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 17/09/2023 at 07:24, richierich said:

Imagine it’s more likely a Class 153 in 4mm will come from Heljan.

If Heljan think there is a return on investment with enough people wanting to buy, I’m sure they’ll produce a 4mm model. This would further recoup the cost of the research done to create the tooling for the 7mm model.  

Totally agree! Producing a 153 could be financially very risky for Realtrack, when Heljan have already done most of the legwork and could have it up their sleeves already. Personally, as much as I’d love a new 153, I’d like to see Realtrack release a Heritage DMU, for example; Gloucester 100, Park Royal 103, Gloucester 119 or Swindon 120. Failing that, a TPE Class 185 would make sense and with them now operating in 6 car formations, an excuse to buy two, would help the numbers stack up.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Doubt it, it doesn't boil water.

If I was a betting addict I'd put money on Heljan, or an outside bet on Accurascale.

Bear in mind Rapido manufacture the Realtrack Class 156's. Seems pretty logical to me!

7 hours ago, E100 said:

Bear in mind Rapido manufacture the Realtrack Class 156's. Seems pretty logical to me!

That was done for a client, not for their own releases, working as effectively a contractor.  Apart from the VIX ferry vans, and the incoming air braked wagons, they have focussed solely on steam, industrial steam and steam era wagons for their own range, which seems to contrast markedly with other new entrants which have gone in heavily for non-steam models.  I don't think, reading some of the comments from the MD in their regular newsletter, that they have any interest in D+E models beyond perhaps a few wagons.

So I very much doubt anything self propelled that doesn't boil water will be coming from Rapido any time soon.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

So I very much doubt anything self propelled that doesn't boil water will be coming from Rapido any time soon.

Yet their first 2 powered N gauge models under the Rapido UK branding are both diesels...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

That was done for a client, not for their own releases, working as effectively a contractor.  Apart from the VIX ferry vans, and the incoming air braked wagons, they have focussed solely on steam, industrial steam and steam era wagons for their own range, which seems to contrast markedly with other new entrants which have gone in heavily for non-steam models.  I don't think, reading some of the comments from the MD in their regular newsletter, that they have any interest in D+E models beyond perhaps a few wagons.

You make a fair point, however the 153 is a self contained unit. It doesn't need a range of wagons/coaches to support it and I'd be surprised if we don't see some more modern stuff coming from them in the next few years.

I still think it’s far more likely to come from Heljan, going by their O gauge announcement of a Class 153. They have quite a few models that are, (or are planned to be,) produced in both O and OO, for example the class 25/3, 35, 45 and 47 to name a few. Why go to the bother of researching a model in O gauge and not release it, where there’s an opportunity for a better model and a (much bigger,) market for it in OO? 

• RMweb Premium
On 01/11/2023 at 22:12, charliepetty said:

Dont think its Heljan !!!!!

Oh, a 153 under wraps ;)

153underwraps.jpg.104c9c1476446221e31b26ebfb9522c8.jpg

Was already contemplating the Heljan O gauge, but delighted to hear there's a new OO on the way.

I can see me in the market for several of these as they're very much part of my day job.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

To my mind, the key question is will anyone be brave enough to release a Scotrail version to put the Hornby version to shame in the livery department that isn't a now sold out Realtrack/Rainbow 153....

...yes I do have an ebay alert for these...

...not a single one has come up in 6 months from what I could see but not surprised!

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, E100 said:

... that isn't a now sold out Realtrack/Rainbow 153....

...not a single one has come up in 6 months from what I could see but not surprised!

There is no RealTrack 153, so the only version available in the ScotRail 'highland cow' livery currently, is the abysmal Hornby offering. I can't remember if Rainbow Railways did their own repaint, but if they did, it was using the Hornby model as a base.

Hence the excitement of this thread to see a detailed version of a 153 in OO.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/11/2023 at 13:38, Scottish-Exile said:

There is no RealTrack 153, so the only version available in the ScotRail 'highland cow' livery currently, is the abysmal Hornby offering. I can't remember if Rainbow Railways did their own repaint, but if they did, it was using the Hornby model as a base.

Hence the excitement of this thread to see a detailed version of a 153 in OO.

TLDR Please don't get me wrong I am too very excited for a detailed 153 but also excited for another manufacturer to step up and improve the livery application as Hornby's is dire on the Scottish 153's.

I may have been mistaken but I believed that Realtrack sold a number of Rainbow commissioned repaints (of the Hornby model) which were highly regarded hence my terminology - I'm not disputing the tooling being the same Hornby one with it's limitations. https://realtrackmodels.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=102&product_id=234  The point I was making was that Hornby's livery application is woeful on the Scottish 153's, whereas this version looked to be extremely good.

To me that's part of the appeal of the Realtrack 156's is the flawless livery application. It's one thing to get the detail right and another to get the livery right. Whoever this new manufacturer may be, that for me is the priority alongside 2023 level of detail as it's the combination which sells the model for me.

On 01/11/2023 at 22:12, charliepetty said:

Dont think its Heljan !!!!!

It's like watching the Dance of the Seven Veils trying to find out who is coming up with a decent Dogbox, every key change in the music reveals precisely ugger ball as another veil drops.

So, Revolution or Accurascale then...unless Hornby are having a fit of the (non) vapours and retooling their version.  Nah, it's not a big named tea urn, that can't be right.  Only water boilers have charisma according to Margate.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

It's like watching the Dance of the Seven Veils trying to find out who is coming up with a decent Dogbox, every key change in the music reveals precisely ugger ball as another veil drops.

So, Revolution or Accurascale then...unless Hornby are having a fit of the (non) vapours and retooling their version.  Nah, it's not a big named tea urn, that can't be right.  Only water boilers have charisma according to Margate.

I’m not sure its either of those.

153 has oodles of liveries, but the A/s has tended to focus on models where modellers would buy several in bulk and i’m not sure a 153 is that. A 155 would only add a couple more liveries. Revolution has the 175 and 180 already.

My left field guess would be Oxford Rail, Dapol or maybe EFE.

As much as an improved 153 is needed, i’m not sure ive enough enthusiasm in me to replace all my Hornby 153’s for a bunch of c£160 new 153’s… I could be persuaded on the 155’s though, but only a couple.

Edited by adb968008