Hattons

No idea I'm afraid but in the past 10 years I spent thousands at Hattons and have never received any discount from them. Furthermore, I couldn't believe it when they refused to pay me the postage costs for a model I had to return especially after the custom they got from me. Due to the size of the model, I had sent it 1st class recorded and they would only refund the cost of 2nd class standard.

Good luck if you get a discount from them!!!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

No idea I'm afraid but in the past 10 years I spent thousands at Hattons and have never received any discount from them. Furthermore, I couldn't believe it when they refused to pay me the postage costs for a model I had to return especially after the custom they got from me. Due to the size of the model, I had sent it 1st class recorded and they would only refund the cost of 2nd class standard.

To be fair to Hattons, they do make it clear in their returns policy that you should post second class with a proof of posting. In return for this they will refund your money or provide a replacement. It's a matter of trust that saves them money - they trust you that as long as you have a proof of posting you have posted it to them. In return they only have to refund the lower second class standard postage cost. With many returns over the year this all adds up.

I see at the checkout you get the chance to use a'Discount Code'.How does one get these ? Model railway clubs perhaps.

I suspect it may refer to codes available from this (and similar) sites:

http://www.myvoucher...ts/ehattons.com

Although the site then goes on to say:

"Sorry there are no Codes listed for Hattons Model Railways , but we have listed some great deals, bargains and offers below to help you save money."

To be fair to Hattons, they do make it clear in their returns policy that you should post second class with a proof of posting. In return for this they will refund your money or provide a replacement. It's a matter of trust that saves them money - they trust you that as long as you have a proof of posting you have posted it to them. In return they only have to refund the lower second class standard postage cost. With many returns over the year this all adds up.

Hiya, I know about the refund policy but the weight of the model didn't qualify for 2nd class postage hence why I sent it 1st.

I understand that return postage costs can mount up but what is a customer to do when the weight doesn't qualify for the maximum postage ..... surely it is unfair that the customer should lose money because of a company's rigid regulations?

To be fair, as well as Hattons postage refunds adding up over the year, my bank balance also added up over the years with Hattons! I'm sure if they had looked at my previous orders they would have realised for the sake of a few quid they lost a good regular customer. It was the arrogant attitude of one of the managers over the phone that got to me. I explained my situation but there was no scope at all to change the mindset of the manager. It caused me to write a complaint to them (not like me at all) and I still didn't get a reply from them in relation to that!!

I am a regular at Rails and Kernow and any returns I have had to make has never been a problem with them and furthermore their customer care is second to none!

It could just be a placeholder in their software that gives them the means to do discounts at a future date without any computer nerds needing to be involved. Just because it exists doesn't mean that any codes are out there to be used! It could also be a means to use a refund credit issued instead of a cash refund, for whatever reason?

On the other hand I had a delivery from them that was one item short and they sent it by return of post. Only about £8 but they accepted that I was telling the truth. Terms of service can't cover every eventuality. Most people respond in a positive manner if you talk to them in an open and friendly manner.

Back to the OP. I can't find any discount codes either on the open site or logged in to my account.I presume that this is a standard line in the software to allow for such eventualities. Try giving them a call. They are very nice people and usually don't bite.

Bernard

Can't help but feel that's got nothing whatsoever to do with the original question and the topic has just been used as an excuse to air a rant. Not really 'good form' I feel.

Robin - I too have often wondered about that discount code, I thought it might be something in the little catalogue/leaflet things they sometimes include with the monthly magazines, or maybe something in their adverts, but I've never seen any discount codes anywhere. As others have said, probably a standard bit of the software, or maybe they included it when building the site so as to be able to introduce discount codes at a later date - easier to build it in from the start rather than trying to program it in later. All speculation though of course.

Can't help but feel that's got nothing whatsoever to do with the original question and the topic has just been used as an excuse to air a rant. Not really 'good form' I feel.

Accepted but it was initially meant as a toungue in cheek comment for not giving any loyal customers any sort of scope in return for years of excellent business.....rant over! :D

Accepted but it was initially meant as a toungue in cheek comment for not giving any loyal customers any sort of scope in return for years of excellent business.....rant over! biggrin.gif

Why should they?

Business has to be a two way street. I assume (like myself I'll add) that you use Hattons because they give you tremendous service, competitive prices and have always been very helpful on the phone. As long as they continue to do that, I'll continue to give them most of my business. If they stop doing that, I'll will give them a chance to put it right and if it persists, I will give my business to someone who can provide what I want.

I can't for the life of me see why they should have to give something else, or why you expect a further discount above and beyond what they already provide.

If you then swap suppliers because they don't give you a discount based on your previous purchases, then I would suggest you are not as loyal as you believe you may be. It's all about the cost of doing business, not the lowest price....

Why should they?

Business has to be a two way street. I assume (like myself I'll add) that you use Hattons because they give you tremendous service, competitive prices and have always been very helpful on the phone. As long as they continue to do that, I'll continue to give them most of my business. If they stop doing that, I'll will give them a chance to put it right and if it persists, I will give my business to someone who can provide what I want.

I can't for the life of me see why they should have to give something else, or why you expect a further discount above and beyond what they already provide.

If you then swap suppliers because they don't give you a discount based on your previous purchases, then I would suggest you are not as loyal as you believe you may be. It all about the cost of doing business, not the lowest price....

I assume you haven't read puffmeisters original post there? He was on about not getting a refund on postage costs outside the scope of their terms.

Tbh Hattons is normally the cheapest prices off the shelf anyway apart from sales so I doubt they'll ever use the code box!

The measure of a good business is always when something goes wrong.. Hattons are usually pretty good for that.

I did read that, but wasn't commenting on that part. My comment was simply about the discount element in the post above, that's why I quoted it.

I've never had any problems at all with Hattons. If they've made an error, they are very quick to put it right and I've never been out of pocket in all the years I have dealt with them.

Why should they?

If you then swap suppliers because they don't give you a discount based on your previous purchases, then I would suggest you are not as loyal as you believe you may be. It's all about the cost of doing business, not the lowest price....

You are correct - Hattons do have competitive prices, their service was excellent until that point and that you are also spot on that if a problem persisted like it did with Hattons then move on to someone else - I did.

At what point did I state I moved business because I didn't get a discount? I only said that as a loyal customer of Hattons for many years and I have never received a discount end of..........which the thread was initially about.

My "rant" was based on the postage and showing some degree of flexibility to loyal customers. You are way off the mark to suggest that I moved from Hattons because they didn't give me a discount.

If someone doesn't give me a discount, then it doesn't mean they lose my business.

Apologies Puffmeister, I got my lines crossed and could have worded that better. It was not aimed at you personally.

My comment was referring to that section of the general public who expect a discount on everything beyond an already competitive price. Once refused they then take a pop at the supplier via an on line forum. Knowing the price of everything and value of nothing is a phrase that comes to mind.

Thankfully those guys who have nothing to offer but low pricing generally go out of business......apart from those who offer something for a £ and then hide the balance of the cost in surcharges. I vowed I would never, ever fly Ryanair again for exactly that reason...wink.gif

Apologies Puffmeister, I got my lines crossed and could have worded that better. It was not aimed at you personally.

My comment was referring to that section of the general public who expect a discount on everything beyond an already competitive price. Once refused they then take a pop at the supplier via an on line forum. Knowing the price of everything and value of nothing is a phrase that comes to mind.

Thankfully those guys who have nothing to offer but low pricing generally go out of business......apart from those who offer something for a £ and then hide the balance of the cost in surcharges. I vowed I would never, ever fly Ryanair again for exactly that reason...wink.gif

No worries :D

End of "rant" now!!!!! :lol:

Interestingly enough, there was a feature on the news this morning regarding Distance Selling rules and in particular postage charges. If you wish to return something that is not suitable or you decide you don't want, the retailer is obliged to refund the cost of the item plus the cost of postage getting the item to you.

There is no obligation at all to refund the postage costs that you have incurred in returning the item, so by refunding the cost of 2nd class postage, Hattons are in fact going beyond their legal requirement.

The grey area is when the item is faulty and needs to be replaced and here I have found Hattons exemplorary.

Interestingly enough, there was a feature on the news this morning regarding Distance Selling rules and in particular postage charges. If you wish to return something that is not suitable or you decide you don't want, the retailer is obliged to refund the cost of the item plus the cost of postage getting the item to you.

There is no obligation at all to refund the postage costs that you have incurred in returning the item, so by refunding the cost of 2nd class postage, Hattons are in fact going beyond their legal requirement.

The grey area is when the item is faulty and needs to be replaced and here I have found Hattons exemplorary.

I seem to recall that under the Sale of Goods Act (my memory is hazy, and my legal beagle partner is in the bath at the moment) that reasonable costs incurred as a direct result of goods being faulty (such as postage to return it) are claimable. The consumer has a duty to mitigate their loss, which is where Hattons could reasonably claim you must use a lower tariff of postage.

If the goods are faulty, then it is the consumer who gets the choice of refund or replacement. In such cases the consumer is not liable for any extra postage either.

Hattons are very good, and I suspect that with a business as big as theirs they have some-one all swotted up on the prevailing legislation, because in retail there's always some smart-a$$ customer who knows legislation these days. Especially with the rise of access to information on the internet.

Very interesting comments folks - just for the record I certainly would not have made any fuss at all if I was simply returning the model because it was unsuitable or not wanted - that I can certainly understand a business not wanting to return any postage at all in those circumstances.

I personally returned a full Hornby train pack (Faulty Class 90 Locomotive) along with a Vitrains 37 (Broken buffers). Both were part of a very large consignment I ordered which was in a large box. I had to wrap the models in separate packing to send them back. I can't recall the exact amount but it was around £8 and Hattons only wanted to return me £4.

I kindly asked them to make the difference up but because of their terms there was no shifting the mindset of the manager concerned.

I've had to return faulty models to Rails and Kernow and have had no problems what-so-ever and given full postal refunds whatever the service & amount. Kernow in fact sent out the wrong order and I had to return 2 limited editions. They were delighted when it was sent special delivery simply due to the value of the models concerned.

I do not want to dwell on Hattons, but generally speaking in relation to any business it does seem unfair that the consumer may have to carry the can for return costs if items are faulty or incorrect. Different businesses different policies and I suppose!!

No idea I'm afraid but in the past 10 years I spent thousands at Hattons and have never received any discount from them. Furthermore, I couldn't believe it when they refused to pay me the postage costs for a model I had to return especially after the custom they got from me. Due to the size of the model, I had sent it 1st class recorded and they would only refund the cost of 2nd class standard. ......

....... I know about the refund policy but the weight of the model didn't qualify for 2nd class postage hence why I sent it 1st.

Just a question that comes to mind, if it was too heavy to send by 2nd class how did Hattons work out an amount to refund you?

Either they are making the figure up and are therefore working outside their terms and conditions or your post office was telling you porkies when you posted it to get you to user a more expensive service.

Just a question that comes to mind, if it was too heavy to send by 2nd class how did Hattons work out an amount to refund you?

Either they are making the figure up and are therefore working outside their terms and conditions or your post office was telling you porkies when you posted it to get you to user a more expensive service.

Hi Tebee & beast66606,

Their terms & conditions at the time were that items must be returned via 2nd class delivery and refunds given up to a maximum of £4. I don't know if that has changed since but that is how they worked it out.

I jumped onto Hattons and selected the items concerned. The website provides weights which equalled 1920g. Royal mail online can price services and 2nd class isn't an option on that total weight (Total cost was £7.34 according to Royal Mail online). The Vitrains 37 returned itself would have been £2.84 unrecorded 2nd class service which would qualify for a Hattons refund and strangely enough the Class 90 Train Pack weighs 1120g doesn't qualify for 2nd class service. The cheapest service for that item would have been standard parcels at £4.41.

Hattons could see what I paid for the item as it is printed on the packet so it's not as if I was trying to rip them off for £3 - £4.......perhaps I should have sent them separate!! :D

• RMweb Gold

Just been to the sorting office to collect a parcel and read the leaflet

"maximum weight for second class is 1kg"

"£4.41 for first class up to 2kg"

If I wanted to return items I would contact the supplier and if the cost exceeded their stated maximum I would take *their* advice

Just been to the sorting office to collect a parcel and read the leaflet

"maximum weight for second class is 1kg"

"£4.41 for first class up to 2kg"

If I wanted to return items I would contact the supplier and if the cost exceeded their stated maximum I would take *their* advice

Yeah good advice and I have done so with other retailers since that experience but at the time I took the initiative to send it in one big parcel rather than 2 separate ones, seemed common sense to me. As it was a bit of a journey to the post office and discovering the costs, I wasn't going to return and phone Hattons regarding postage to make yet another journey back to the post office. I since discovered the Royal Mail online service and have to say I have learnt my lesson regarding returning any items in the post. Hope that experience will help others!!

• RMweb Premium

Returning to the OP and the ability to get a discount from Hattons I would suggest that we all get a fairly decent discount from them every time we order. Virtually everything they list is discounted (often very substantially) from the manufacturer's list price. I'm not at all troubled about getting discount codes for even bigger savings.

Thanks, that makes much more sense now, I do get irritated by apparently illogical things, must have some Vulcan blood in me.

I'm always amazed at how businesses, or at least the drones they employ, try and apply their internal rules at the expense of customer satisfaction. As someone who has been in business I know just how damaging one unhappy customer can be to your future trade.

A recent example of this was Verizon in the US who refused to cancel without a large penalty, a woman's phone contract after her husband had been killed in the marines in Afghanistan. Strangely after the media picked up on this, a way was found round the contract provisions ....

I don't think RMweb has the same clout unfortunately, but let's hope this gets back to Hattons ( who I have dealt with many times satisfactorily in the past) and they both relax the policy and give their staff some training in customer relations.

Archived