The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Sycamore gap vandalism.

43110andyb

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Which perhaps should be called "The Cheviot Way" as its left the Pennines behind!

Wainwright was scathing of the choice of name...and the choice of route, and pretty much everything else associated with the Pennine Way. In spite of this (or perhaps because of it), I'd still unhesitatingly recommend Wainwright's Pennine Way Companion as your guidebook to anyone thinking of doing the walk. His frequent moans probably match many walkers' own, and make his expressions of delight all the more joyous.

Take an up to date map, though. Things, including parts of the route itself, have changed rather a lot since Wainwright's day.

On 28/09/2023 at 19:49, Hroth said:

I'm not entirely convinced that the 16yo was the prime actor.

Hopefully a night banged up on his own in a police cell surrounded by screaming drunks will get him to spill the beans...

Looks like it worked.

The BBC are reporting that a man in his 60s is "now helping police with their enquiries"...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66966187

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

And the 16yo has been released on bail, so it sounds as if he had some part in whatever happened but that the 60yo is the main guy.  It will be illuminating to find out what his motivation for the act was; not many people hate trees...

• Agree 5

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

And the 16yo has been released on bail, so it sounds as if he had some part in whatever happened but that the 60yo is the main guy.  It will be illuminating to find out what his motivation for the act was; not many people hate trees...

Ever heard of Tik Tok?

Apologies if my spelling is wrong, it is not my scene.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Wainwright was scathing of the choice of name...and the choice of route, and pretty much everything else associated with the Pennine Way. In spite of this (or perhaps because of it), I'd still unhesitatingly recommend Wainwright's Pennine Way Companion as your guidebook to anyone thinking of doing the walk. His frequent moans probably match many walkers' own, and make his expressions of delight all the more joyous.

Take an up to date map, though. Things, including parts of the route itself, have changed rather a lot since Wainwright's day.

I'd also note that the tenner Wainwright left behind the bar in the Border Hotel Kirk Yetholm for anyone completing the walk ran out quite a while ago, I live opposite and had to pay for my own...

Off topic a little but many think of the Pennine way as a simple walk in the country, the local mountain rescue say they've brought quite a few down off the Cheviots and some of them were still alive. So many underestimate just how remote they are.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

Off topic a little but many think of the Pennine way as a simple walk in the country, the local mountain rescue say they've brought quite a few down off the Cheviots and some of them were still alive. So many underestimate just how remote they are.

I'd have thought that anyone doing the Pennine Way in the usual south to north direction would have some idea of what they're facing by the time they reach the Cheviots!

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It will be illuminating to find out what his motivation for the act was; not many people hate trees...

Sadly some people simply find it amusing to break things, and even more so if it'll upset lots of people. Might even feel proud for some twisted reason about doing something "memorable" that lots of people will have heard of. Probably inflates their third-rate excuses of egos.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Sadly some people simply find it amusing to break things, 

I find that very sad and depressing, I think it is a problem in our culture, particularly in the UK, not saying it does not happen elsewhere, but I travel a lot in Europe and see things that you simply could not have in the UK without it being vandalised or stolen, such as book exchanges, normally a glass cupboard in a public space, people take and leave books, or schools without the need for high fences.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I just thought.  Its in Northumberland.  Will Auntie Vera be leading the investigation?

(you have to laugh, or else you'd be crying...)

Only if the bodies start piling up and there's an unnecessarily gloomy and tragic backstory.

• Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, fulton said:

I find that very sad and depressing, I think it is a problem in our culture, particularly in the UK, not saying it does not happen elsewhere, but I travel a lot in Europe and see things that you simply could not have in the UK without it being vandalised or stolen, such as book exchanges, normally a glass cupboard in a public space, people take and leave books, or schools without the need for high fences.

Really?

Not been watching the news recently then. European tourists wrecking statues and leaving graffiti on things like the Coliseum.

I see more wanton damage abroad than I have ever seen in the UK and very little of it is done by Brits.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/tourist-colosseum-scli-intl/index.html#:~:text=An Irish tourist has been accused of vandalizing,security on Monday and immediately reported to officers.

https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/why-do-tourists-keep-vandalising-the-colosseum.html

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exmoordave said:

Whoever the moron/s responsible was/were, will sadly not be "punished" to any degree - he's just "A very naughty boy" (quote from MPFC). Now if this were Saudi Arabia, the punishment would be really be "punishment".....

I hear what you are saying, there’s no fear of consequences if there’s no fear . 

Our liberal justice system has enabled this . Hell, you can murder your whole family and 25 years later, you can look for parole , “ I’ve changed, I’m rehabilitated , I won’t do it again “. They , unfortuntely , stay dead .

• Agree 4

9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Apparently the rumour going around the local mill is that the 60yo had some kind of a grudge against the National Trust, and co-opted the lad to carry out the work.

Very much an unsubstantiated rumour at the moment, though, so don't be surprised if the truth turns out to be entirely different.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A grudge against the NT, while not a reason for destroying this particularly well-known tree out of spite, at least removes some of the 'mindless' aspect of the vandalism.  I have a theory that much of this sort of anti-social crime is perpetuated by people whose lives are carp.  Wanting to feel equal to the rest of us, which they don't, and without the ability to raise themselves to what they think is our level of life-quality/happiness/contentment, they equalise by trashing our world in an effort to make our lives as carp as theirs. 

'You've got something that I haven't got, so I'll take it away from you so I can be the same as you'.  It is a childish rationale, but a brief expedition around my inner-city streets will reveal plenty of people whose behaviour is childish by default masquerading as adults.  Ok, I'm off to play with my trainset...

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Reorte said:

I'd have thought that anyone doing the Pennine Way in the usual south to north direction would have some idea of what they're facing by the time they reach the Cheviots!

It depends on how well they've done their planning. Byrness to Kirk Yetholm, the final leg over the Cheviots, was the bit I most dreaded before I started. 27 miles over high moorland is the toughest day by quite some margin. There are a couple of bothies en route, if you happen to know about them (which I didn't when I did it in 1990 or thereabouts, pre-internet and pre-GPS). For myself, I was probably as fit as I ever have been that day, and the miles flew past. I didn't think twice about adding 2 miles to visit the summit of the Cheviot (stepping in a bog up to my knees to get there). But not everyone's the same, and I have seen plenty of people walking long distance footpaths whose strength and stamina seem to deteriorate rather than improve over the course of the walk.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 29/09/2023 at 00:03, Michael Hodgson said:

And I doubt such a lad would have an industrial grade chain saw with him when he went to the pub.

I’m guessing you’ve never been to Newcastle on a Friday night then?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, fulton said:

I think it depends where you go. I've seen things like book exchanges in the UK. They're often in old phone boxes, but there are some others, one near me in a case (OK it's a plastic cover rather than glass), another in the waiting room at the local station.

Prison fencing around schools has become sadly common, although not everywhere yet. I always thought that stemmed more from an increasingly over-protective attitude than anything else; at any rate I remember being quite depressed when I first saw it, now it's everywhere.

Is there really more anti-social behaviour than ever? I'm not that sure to be honest (at least within my lifetime), although I wouldn't deny for a minute that we've got a serious problem with it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, Reorte said:

I think it depends where you go. I've seen things like book exchanges in the UK. They're often in old phone boxes, but there are some others, one near me in a case (OK it's a plastic cover rather than glass), another in the waiting room at the local station.

Prison fencing around schools has become sadly common, although not everywhere yet. I always thought that stemmed more from an increasingly over-protective attitude than anything else; at any rate I remember being quite depressed when I first saw it, now it's everywhere.

Is there really more anti-social behaviour than ever? I'm not that sure to be honest (at least within my lifetime), although I wouldn't deny for a minute that we've got a serious problem with it.

Is the fencing to keep people in or to stop the prospect of an American style attack from a disgruntled student ?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Reorte said:

36 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Is the fencing to keep people in or to stop the prospect of an American style attack from a disgruntled student ?

Didn't 'prison' fencing start being put around schools after the Dunblane shootings?

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1