Ruston 88DS In O, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, goldfish said:

Would these qualify as exceptionally tight curves?

IMG_0458.JPG.aff6d9ab6d74450f6167a4c213655088.JPG

Not fine scale, but fine scale compatible. The points are 170mm radius, and the wagons can be pushed through the points in all directions. It is just a simple matter of using appropriate couplings. In this case over long swivel, drop links. The track is ETS Tram Track and so has check rails as standard.

You’re applying too much common sense to the buffer locking question 🤣 As Paul said they’ll work fine but they have to accommodate the person who decides to push a pipe wagon around the curve they quote 😉

3 hours ago, goldfish said:

The points are 170mm radius, and the wagons can be pushed through the points in all directions.

Just over 6 & 1/2 inch radius in Old Money..? Wow!!

I know from my own experience that a Heljan Hymek could get through a 2ft radius curve (old Lima setrack points). The trick, as has been said, is getting locos to do anything useful on such tight curves.

The comparison of O with OO stuff and the applicable radii is something of a moot point in my view, as there is no O Scale equivalent of the OO tension lock coupler, which helps no end with tight curves. Take them off a lot of OO stuff, and suddenly  - and unsurprisingly - they wouldn't be able to go round radius 2 without buffer locking!!

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

The comparison of O with OO stuff and the applicable radii is something of a moot point in my view, as there is no O Scale equivalent of the OO tension lock coupler, which helps no end with tight curves. Take them off a lot of OO stuff, and suddenly  - and unsurprisingly - they wouldn't be able to go round radius 2 without buffer locking!!

There is no reason why for there not being an equivalent to the tension lock coupler in 0 Gauge, about from a lack of market interest. Indeed 00 tension lock couplings can be used with 0 Gauge with reasonable success.

IMG_0459.JPG.62c8e67381598c6f84889dcf4008b9ae.JPG

These are Bachmann (?) 00 couplings mounted styrene strip fitted through the 3-link receptacle. Actually a discarded project because simple drop links are more reliable and much less trouble. All that is needed to prevent buffer lock is to keep the buffers from interlocking, and that requires some reliable means of maintaining  them at the correct distance apart. Realistically anything bigger than a Terrier or a 4-wheel coach is unlikely to work on curves smaller than Peco set track, although tenders are reasonably short wheelbase and that can help solve the problem.

36 minutes ago, goldfish said:

There is no reason why for there not being an equivalent to the tension lock coupler in 0 Gauge, about from a lack of market interest. Indeed 00 tension lock couplings can be used with 0 Gauge with reasonable success.

Yes, Mike Bragg of this Parish is one who has used slimline tension locks before in O scale. By "no equivalent" I really meant that stock doesn't come supplied with them R-T-R. I for one got into UK O Scale because I wanted to use prototype couplers again, but having tried 3-links in OO many years ago wasn't going to use them in the miniature scales again!

But I was aware of the restrictions scale couplings impose; I get the feeling that some coming new to O Scale are being taken slightly by surprise by the issues involved.

The lack of market interest in a tension lock coupler for O may have something to do with them looking bloody awful! 3-links are large enough in O to be used quite easily, so why anyone would want to disfigure their models by ADDING such a thing is beyond me.

In any scale you'll get people going on about this detail isn't right, or that isn't right on a model but they seem to be able to live with these ruddy great ugly and unprototypical couplings stuck on the ends of everything.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

4 hours ago, Ruston said:

The lack of market interest in a tension lock coupler for O may have something to do with them looking bloody awful! 3-links are large enough in O to be used quite easily, so why anyone would want to disfigure their models by ADDING such a thing is beyond me.

In any scale you'll get people going on about this detail isn't right, or that isn't right on a model but they seem to be able to live with these ruddy great ugly and unprototypical couplings stuck on the ends of everything.

Possibly because they are comfortably past their three score and twenty, and failing eyesight and reduced manual dexterity mean that more prototypical couplings are physically beyond them?

Edited by goldfish
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/03/2024 at 14:19, Ruston said:

Not to mention track that is too narrow {00} and train set curves 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

We recently paid a visit back to the Colne Valley Railway, and to Ollie and his 88DS, in order to record the sound suite for the model, and this is our take on the day's events: 

• Like 4