Salisbury collision - RAIB report

• RMweb Gold

Final RAIB report published today:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/report-122023-collision-between-passenger-trains-at-salisbury-tunnel-junction

It seems RAIB can do all that careful investigation work, but not notice a typo in the name of their PDF file!

Yet again I can't post this in the original topic because it is locked (sigh). That makes 3 topics now on the same subject.

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

Final RAIB report published today:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/report-122023-collision-between-passenger-trains-at-salisbury-tunnel-junction

It seems RAIB can do all that careful investigation work, but not notice a typo in the name of their PDF file!

Yet again I can't post this in the original topic because it is locked (sigh). That makes 3 topics now on the same subject.

Martin.

I believe that if you PM a moderator they can unlock a relevant thread to allow for it to be updated with useful info.

I totally get why the threads are locked, with the amount of armchair experts and speculation thrown around :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

You can pm Andy with the relevant info and he will add it to the topic. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

No, but it can prevent a defamation case or similar

The report makes interesting reading and recommendations,It does not seek to apportion blame.That…as far as this forum is concerned….is the point of preventing further comment.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

No, but it can prevent a defamation case or similar.

How does locking it in place prevent that?

Unwanted content should be removed, not locked in place. There is no reason why Warners should have any material hosted on their servers which they don't want there. Just delete it.

Locking a topic prevents those who have contributed to it from updating or amending it with new or corrected information. The internet is awash with utter rubbish and if you own an internet server it's important to make some effort to prevent Google indexing the rubbish for 100 years.

Martin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The report makes interesting reading and recommendations,It does not seek to apportion blame.That…as far as this forum is concerned….is the point of preventing further comment.

Agreed - the link to the report is completely appropriate, that's not the issue.

21 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

How does locking it in place prevent that?

Unwanted content should be removed, not locked in place. There is no reason why Warners should have any material hosted on their servers which they don't want there. Just delete it.

Locking a topic prevents those who have contributed to it from updating or amending it with new or corrected information. The internet is awash with utter rubbish and if you own an internet server it's important to make some effort to prevent Google indexing the rubbish for 100 years.

Martin.

Because  moderators have better things to do than watch problem threads when there is nothing that can be added until something official is available. When something relevant IS available, it's no hardship to send a quick message to a mod and get the appropriate thread unlocked. I don't understand why this approach is a problem?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

I think more because Andy simply cannot be an editor of every single topic so it saves more inflammatory or legally dubious content being added. He’s there to remove stuff if it challenged in the main as the poster is responsible for the content on an open forum. BRM is responsible for removing it when asked if they haven’t been alerted to it already. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Talltim said:

If it was locked you wouldn't have been able to correct that...

Well actually I can as I’d just ping the correct info to Andy and if it’s important he makes the decision if it is relevant to 😉

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Well actually I can as I’d just ping the correct info to Andy and if it’s important he makes the decision if it is relevant to 😉

That's making more work for the moderators than if you were left free to correct it yourself.

I've been running a web forum for over 20 years and I have never locked anything yet. Very occasionally remove or edit stuff.

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Am I the only one who finds something amusing in the way this is heading to be locked again?🤪🤣

Well if it keeps speculation off the facts presented at bay then that’s fine 😉 the report should answer any questions as it has been subject to thorough review within the industry before being published. 
At least one member here was part of the rescue staff who went into the tunnel on the night so there are a few of us on here who knew a lot of the facts but left it to the report to give the full picture. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

An interesting channel name with the numbers at the end, however, it is the RAIB's channel as it is referenced within their social media page on gov.uk.  I was about to post the clip myself but wanted to be sure it's source was the RAIB and not someone's personal page.

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Survivability of the drivers space was questioned in the report.

multiple unit cabs, especially 153 converted ends can be small, especially where theres a gangway.

Unfortunately, most multiple units, especially in recent times have crumple zones in each end of each car, in the event of a heavy collision involving an Electrostar for example, the driver is squished and so is anyone unlucky to be sitting on the bog in the small toilet at the time...

• Moderators
On 24/10/2023 at 14:37, PaulRhB said:

I think more because Andy simply cannot be an editor of every single topic so it saves more inflammatory or legally dubious content being added. He’s there to remove stuff if it challenged in the main as the poster is responsible for the content on an open forum. BRM is responsible for removing it when asked if they haven’t been alerted to it already. 

As you know I'm happy to listen to information off-forum to enable the appropriate decisions to be made.

Before anyone gets awkward about any reasons why this particular topic was locked it went beyond preventing the usual speculation/opinion/blame apportionment as there were specific personal issues involved. What was there was relevant and there were good reasons for preventing further uninformed comment so anyone who thinks it wasn't policed correctly can (your choice of wording) off.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

it went beyond preventing the usual speculation/opinion/blame apportionment as there were specific personal issues involved.

Very much appreciated by those of us who worked with those involved. 
thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4