The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting a Gardener

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Anyone know how I could find someone to do some gardening?

e.g. Trimming/tidying/grass cutting etc? (rate to be negotiated. i.e. not free!)

I've looked in local (through the door,) trade directories and there's nothing less than full scale horticulturists and landscape garderners

• Moderators

Much as local Facebook groups do my nut in it may be worth looking for a local group and ask for any recommendations. There's enough oddjobbers hanging around them; ask for pics of work they've done and a couple of references to hopefully weed out bodges and fly-tippers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Always by personal recommendation.Decide what needs doing on a regular basis,i.e your lawn and then negotiate on a specific job basis such as a hedge or part of the border that needs a tidy up or cutting back. Include a requirement that said person removes and disposes your green waste and lawn & hedge clippings .If you’re happy,than all well & good.If not,then do not give him or her any more work. Do  not employ on a weekly basis and ensure he or she uses their own equipment. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The reason he wants a gardener is he doesn't want to do any weeding himself !😁

The reason most of us need help with our gardens is because we’re too clapped out to do them ourselves .I’d love too still be able to garden but I’m now lacking the physical energy to do so. If you do get help,treat him/ her with respect and build up a decent working relationship.Money? Most of us want to pay peanuts.Don’t go there .Be prepared to pay a decent rate and pay up on the nail via BACS.Then maybe we’ll all be happy with the results. But again it depends on the size & nature of your own corner of nature’s paradise. Be realistic.At the end of the day.make sure it’s tidy and it may not be quite like you would have done it but so what….it’s done and you can still walk around in the evening ( maybe not now ) with glass in hand.Here’s to Barry..my gardening guy !

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Be prepared to pay a decent rate and pay up on the nail via BACS

Good advice.  Also don't go along with any request for cash payments. If he or she fails to declare such earnings, you don't want to be accused of enabling him/her.

21 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The reason most of us need help with our gardens is because we’re too clapped out to do them ourselves .I’d love too still be able to garden but I’m now lacking the physical energy to do so.

Yeah that's me too, but I'm too tightfisted to pay somebody to do it for me. 

So I'm still doing it myself and complaining about my back and my knees!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Most decent tradies would prefer to use their own tools, mostly on the basis that they know that it works.

But it depends on what you want done, getting lawns mowed and edges trimmed is easy. It's the stuff like weeding and hedges that sort out the good from so, so.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yup Facebook groups is probably the place to go . No locals to get recommendations from?  I get my grass cut twice a month from about March to Oct . They charge £15  a cut to give you an indication for front and back greens . Reasonable size . Mine are listed as Landscape Gardners but I think you'll find quite a lot of them do basic grass cutting services . My neighbours all use them too now .  Basically three of them descend on my garden with lawnmowers trimmers, strimmers and it takes them 10-15 mins to cut 

Edited by Legend
Got the cost wrong!

18 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The reason most of us need help with our gardens is because we’re too clapped out to do them ourselves .I’d love too still be able to garden but I’m now lacking the physical energy to do so. 

Too true sadly, though Mrs geoffers and me can still do a certain amount,  We found a chap who will come round a few times a year to do things like pruning etc. which knackers my wrists and shoulders.  He did a lot of gardening for our even older neighbours and is very good. He charges £17 an hour to give you an idea and uses his own tools, and I pay him promptly via BACS. So see if your neighbours can recommend, and also try your Parish Magazine (if you haver access to one) and local shop notice boards. 

Edited by geoffers
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestions

I'm not on Facebook and not likely to go there, so it rather limits my choices.

I'm prepared to do the vegetable patch and suchlike but time and physical restraints (I've got a bad back and have had for many years and it's not getting any better) limit how much I can do.

The chap next door also struggles (he's 10 years older) and we have a large mixed species hedge between us that needs trimming, not been touched this year at all. It's approaching 4 metres high now.

I did buy a long reach lopper to do some trimming of nuisance branches but I can't tackle the whole hedge.

Unfortunately many proper traders don't seem to think it's worth their while to quote for it (several no shows after asking for a quote), wanting to do proper tree surgery jobs instead.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Thanks for the suggestions

I'm not on Facebook and not likely to go there, so it rather limits my choices.

I sympathise with that and it's something I prefer to avoid, but do you know anyone locally who does use it? They might be able to enquite for you.

Recommendation, recommendation, recommendation......

I'm a landscaper, been involved in horticulture and hard landscaping for 30 plus years, I only maintain what I build and don't do stuff I don't want to because I've been at it a while and know what I'm doing.....that may sound a bit big headed but trust me there are so many in the game that quite simply shouldn't even be allowed out with tools. 

Ask round locally and see what you come up with.....There will be plenty out there but finding the right fit for you may take some work. I would suggest Facebook local groups as a starting point even if someone does the request for you, a lettered van etc is not always a sign that they're any good. I positively fly under the radar, van isn't lettered, I don't have a website, I don't run a Facebook business page because I simply can't take any more work on.

Oh yeah this is what I do ...... Built, planted and maintained by me over the last 30 years!

350531256_6380432208669466_7732072036294513234_n.jpg

350452393_6208004945985907_5868060862946612775_n.jpg

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

I'm a landscaper, been involved in horticulture and hard landscaping for 30 plus years, I only maintain what I build and don't do stuff I don't want to because I've been at it a while and know what I'm doing.....that may sound a bit big headed but trust me there are so many in the game that quite simply shouldn't even be allowed out with tools. 

Ask round locally and see what you come up with.....There will be plenty out there but finding the right fit for you may take some work. I would suggest Facebook local groups as a starting point even if someone does the request for you, a lettered van etc is not always a sign that they're any good. I positively fly under the radar, van isn't lettered, I don't have a website, I don't run a Facebook business page because I simply can't take any more work on.

Oh yeah this is what I do ...... Built, planted and maintained by me over the last 30 years!

I really could not agree more with this post.

Particularly the part about liveried vans, websites etc

Two of my closest friends are in slightly different aspects of the landscaping game and have been doing it  for thirty years or so now.

One of them has the snazzy van, polo shirts,  web presence and smiley staff and the other uses a non descript old transit, works mainly on his own maybe with his lad for bigger jobs, and you would be hard pushed to find any evidence of him anywhere.

I know for certain which one of them is far the better option, and  he is also quite a lot cheaper to boot ( If you could find him!) These new vans do not pay for themselves ya know ;)

Basically its word of mouth every time for such work to be done right price, right time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Red Devil said:

I'm going to log out of RMweb when I have finished this session so my wife cant get in touch with you.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2023 at 17:40, melmerby said:

Hi all

Anyone know how I could find someone to do some gardening?

e.g. Trimming/tidying/grass cutting etc? (rate to be negotiated. i.e. not free!)

I've looked in local (through the door,) trade directories and there's nothing less than full scale horticulturists and landscape garderners

Disappointed,  I clicked  this ‘latest content’ wondering if the Gardener was for a bus, a boat or something like a tractor….  

I remember mt grandmother ( now departed) complaining that the state pension barely  covered the cost of the gardener and the housekeeper. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Over here in rural Lincolnshire we get a free magazine " Your Local Lincs" which has all sorts of tradesmen from garages to gardeners all advertising their skills. Or as suggested the local Parish magazine is a good starting place . Hope you get one or other of those.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Over here in rural Lincolnshire we get a free magazine " Your Local Lincs" which has all sorts of tradesmen from garages to gardeners all advertising their skills. Or as suggested the local Parish magazine is a good starting place . Hope you get one or other of those.

We get a local trades magazine and a parish magazine as well as flyers through the door but I haven't seen anyone for just basic gardening.