EFE Rail - Winter 2023 Announcements inc. Southern 'Booster'

AY Mod

55 minutes ago, The Bigbee Line said:

... I think some 'guides' from black styrene could be knocked up to give some restraint, keeping the outer wheelsets in each bogie with minimal side play, and a touch more on the middle wheelset. ...

IF your curves will allow spacers to restrict the outer wheelsets, that'll be adequate and anything on the centre wheelset would be a complete waste of effort.

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

The bogies are a surprisingly long wheelbase and yes the sideplay is necessary to allow for model curves.

It's a design which served very well under the Bulleid diesels.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Were these locos used for passengers or freight? It's a job to find out much about them? I can't seem to find any film of them on YouTube although I may be using the wrong search criteria. Could some one point me to some film of these locos in action? What did they actually sound like?

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Metropolitan said:

Were these locos used for passengers or freight? It's a job to find out much about them? I can't seem to find any film of them on YouTube although I may be using the wrong search criteria. Could some one point me to some film of these locos in action? What did they actually sound like?

During the war, CC1 was mostly used for freight. After the war they were both freight and the Newhaven boat trains. Possibly other passenger use, I'm not 100%.

As for sound, it was discussed earlier in the thread that no known recordings exist. Never seen any film of them either, but some might exist.

7 minutes ago, Metropolitan said:

John

There are pictures of them on Boat Trains between Newhaven and Victoria, plus they worked freight between Chichester and Norwood.  I have a Southern Way magazine on them, need to did it out.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Metropolitan said:

Both and parcels work.Well there were only three in any case. One regular diagram was the Victoria-Newhaven boat train. Scant photographic evidence available it seems. When it arrives,mine ( BR black) will be working a rake of crimson& cream Bulleids ,though similar Hornby Maunsells will be acceptable to replicate such. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

During the war, CC1 was mostly used for freight. After the war they were both freight and the Newhaven boat trains. Possibly other passenger use, I'm not 100%.

As for sound, it was discussed earlier in the thread that no known recordings exist. Never seen any film of them either, but some might exist.

And possibly inter regional passenger  work to the SE section during the summer months . This introduces formations of  LM&WR stock.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Both and parcels work.Well there were only three in any case. One regular diagram was the Victoria-Newhaven boat train. Scant photographic evidence available it seems. When it arrives,mine ( BR black) will be working a rake of crimson& cream Bulleids ,though similar Hornby Maunsells will be acceptable to replicate such. 

Thanks for the info. I presume from the panto, which was used in yards, that there must have been other SR (shunting?) locos with pantographs? I've never heard of such a thing?

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Metropolitan said:

there must have been other SR (shunting?) locos with pantographs? I've never heard of such a thing?

image.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
Just now, Metropolitan said:

Where was it taken?

Standing in the 6 foot.

It's Snowdown Colliery.

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Oh fantastic, never seen that video! 👍

I didn't know it existed, but I was watching "Diesels and electrics on 35mm" and it was shown as a preview for another dvd at the end. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, simon b said:

I didn't know it existed, but I was watching "Diesels and electrics on 35mm" and it was shown as a preview for another dvd at the end. 

Hah, funny how these things happen 🙂

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Uk

And taken at Victoria I think.But 1942 ?  Likely between 1944/45 & 1948 

You are probably right about Victoria, but it's definitely 1942. CC1 is in it's original grey with speed whiskers, stencil headcode, and protective plating around the driver's windows.

In late 42 (or early 43) it was repainted in malachite, the plating taken off and the headcode replaced by the disc lights 👍

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And possibly inter regional passenger  work to the SE section during the summer months . This introduces formations of  LM&WR stock.

But, until 1960 the juice rail didn't extend beyond Gillingham, and only the following year did it go beyond Maidstone E and Sevenoaks. And by that time the SE had plenty of its own electric locos. No reason for these to have done much off Central. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well I have to say that this is by far the best rtr loco I have bought for years in terms of interest alone. In addition the quality is excellent, it runs superbly and it is very good value for money. More of the oddities please!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

But, until 1960 the juice rail didn't extend beyond Gillingham, and only the following year did it go beyond Maidstone E and Sevenoaks. And by that time the SE had plenty of its own electric locos. No reason for these to have done much off Central. 

My mistake. I should of course have specifically posted Central Section.Which means Brighton in terms of (probably) passenger work.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just received my model of cc1 in blue, very impressive looking machine. Looking forward to staging a few pics with the 71's.

But the real question is when do we get the NSE and jaffa cake versions? 😂

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

While I'm not always one for fictional liveries, I wouldn't say no to an NSE version 😄

Nothing wrong with a bit of whimsy on a model railway, but some of us would like to blag some more of the "genuine" versions  first, given the aleged paucity of production slots, if that's okay. 😉

• Like 2

My BR green 20002 arrived safely yesterday. Trying to run it in I found that it derails on one of my ‘standard’ Peco points every time. I know people say this, but it’s the only loco I have that does this. It’s not even on the curve, so it’s not a tight radius issue. It is as it runs straight over the point from the vee direction, I have a feeling it’s because my layout isn’t perfectly flat and the bogies don’t seem to have much ‘float’ to compensate. In comparison to my recently acquired, superb running, Accurascale Class 37, it is very disappointing. I have checked the back to backs and they are ok.

I wonder if anybody else has experience this problem and can offer a solution. If not it’s going back for a refund.

• Friendly/supportive 1