Hayfields 3D printed track workshop

hayfield

• 1 month later...

Two months have passed since my last update, the resin printer has not printed anything yet (waiting for James video to be released or revisiting his previous videos. But I have been enjoying a phase of building/finishing two Springside locos

On the FDM printer I have been developing my skills. At one end of the spectrum making a template in Templot can be very easy, likewise FDM 3D printing is also very simple. On the other hand making a set of multiple templates into a layout plan can at times be challenging with some formations.

Well I have been approached to assist someone with their layout plan they designed. Mostly due to my own understanding of how Templot 3D printing works it been a steep learning curve but also an enjoyable exercise

75.jpeg.0296dc98f96615889705252d86ecf28e.jpeg

Due to the size of the print bed the track plan has to be printed in sections, in Templot 3D these sections are called bricks. This photo is of the second brick and part of a crossover, the two right hand long timbers are each made from 2 partial templates. Unfortunately they are out of register, it is a test print and I stopped it early (error missed during a late night bit of work, plus a small laptop screen.

76.jpeg.38ec2297b7eb14ff729f541ff898f959.jpeg

Thee revised brick is now printing and as you can see the two long right hand timbers now match each other.

As for templot 3D printed track minor updates have been released making the job of printing easier and the risk of poor prints less. Martin is a genius 

I have also expermited in increasing the scale to 7mm. The results are very promising

Anyway I have hopefully overcome the obstacles that prevented me to print the more demanding bricks and once I have a few more bricks printed I will need some chairs 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Before I start I must emphasize that in its basic/normal form Both Templot and Templot 3D are very user friendly and easy to use

However I have been asked to help someone with their new layout, this started out with assisting with a Templot plan with tidying it up in a 2D format

One area I had not paid too much attention is restricting partial Templates plus sometimes pressing save too many times 

Anyway after mastering the easy part which was printing basic turnouts and plain track, which is very easy I have been learning how to print a layout with many templates, which involves separating the plan into printable sections, which in Templot are called bricks

77.jpeg.94df0c0d3591b6b54fe3dd7616894f9d.jpeg

Here are the first three bricks plus a section which will be spliced in, as I made a couple of errors on 2 adjoining bricks. (Quicker and cheaper than printing 2 new bricks).

78.jpeg.275297cde6c3c37578efd51c29432113.jpeg

Brick 4 is now printing, took no time in making the brick then creating the print file. It took longer for the print bed to warm up. Anyway I can get on with day to day chores in the knowledge that at mid afternoon another brick will be printed.

Now to set up the resin printer, just need to recap on setting up the machine, then use the raft of chair file Martin kindly prepared for me (and anyone else) to use

• Like 8

The difficulties I have had with some of the Bricks** were totally down to human intervention and not Templot, having drawn up a crossover using Templot automated crossover facility, its only takes slightly more effort to make it 3D printable than producing a brick** for a single turnout .  The main issue is that this project was started as Templot producing a 2D plan and had two people indpendantly working on it over several months plus changing the size of turnouts. Sorry if I seem to be making it look much harder than it should be

** Brick(s) is the terminology for each printable section

79.jpeg.a987601f30668af77eb2720c6fd246b8.jpeg

Brick 5 under way

• Like 3