Hayfields 3D printed track workshop

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Well done John, my geetech arrived a couple of days ago but it will be in the new year before it is put into operation. It will live in the garage which is below our lounge and has an insulated door. I will be making a cabinet so that it can be heated before use. The FDM printer will be put to good use by producing the fixing brackets for the cabinet. I will however take the time to get better at Templot. On my list of too do list is find the filing jigs, be able to creat the timbering blank and the clips.

Keith

You need to create the turnouts first, the filling jigs are bespoke to each size of turnout, unless you're going to use only one size of Vee crossing and switch size.

2 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

You need to create the turnouts first, the filling jigs are bespoke to each size of turnout, unless you're going to use only one size of Vee crossing and switch size.

Yes I have a plan at the moment but need to tweak it a bit. Once tweaked first off will be a paper print out then onto the 3D bases. Currently the plan is based around three 1 in 6 turnouts. It’s just a simple station.

Keith

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

That is a good point, however when having a new machine/trying a new process its worth doing a few test prints. I myself have printed out a couple of A6 turnouts and an A6 diamond crossing, once I get some resin (out of stock till the end of the month ) I will be able to print some resin chairs most of which will be batch printed and interchangeable, the exception being the common crossing (3 of which are exactly the same.

As for the jigs, the 1-6 is my chosen crossing angle for the test pieces as will be the A switches

Providing you have a planned entry into 3D printing where is the problem ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Yes I have a plan at the moment but need to tweak it a bit. Once tweaked first off will be a paper print out then onto the 3D bases. Currently the plan is based around three 1 in 6 turnouts. It’s just a simple station.

Keith

Normally in track building ones skill base improves with every completed item, usually the first couple of pieces are relegated to the storage sidings. Plug track is a bit different as the printing does most of the technical stuff. However there is nothing wrong in making test pieces, a turnout base will set you back 40p ish. The jigs cost a bit more but a fraction of commercial ones. If you break a few chairs so what a raft of theme cost pence, if anything the learning curve is not that great. But why not print off a couple of test items ?

3 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Normally in track building ones skill base improves with every completed item, usually the first couple of pieces are relegated to the storage sidings. Plug track is a bit different as the printing does most of the technical stuff. However there is nothing wrong in making test pieces, a turnout base will set you back 40p ish. The jigs cost a bit more but a fraction of commercial ones. If you break a few chairs so what a raft of theme cost pence, if anything the learning curve is not that great. But why not print off a couple of test items ?

I already have a nice little collection of straight, curved and turnout bases to build. I could get the printer up and running by the beginning of January but will take time to get it right. I noticed that Templot also accommodates Peco code 75 rail well I have some bullhead that could be used for trials.

Keith

23 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

If you use a common angle/size as I have said these jigs are reusable. I have one of the prototype vee jigs from 2 years ago and use it when I need an A5 crossing

For most all they will need with switches is an A & B set. 

1 minute ago, KeithHC said:

I already have a nice little collection of straight, curved and turnout bases to build. I could get the printer up and running by the beginning of January but will take time to get it right. I noticed that Templot also accommodates Peco code 75 rail well I have some bullhead that could be used for trials.

Keith

Keith

I am not certain Templot plug track has settings for Peco Bullhead rail ? Or has Martin or someone else added the settings ?

My printer was set up quite quickly, so I think the set up and learning time will not take as long as you expect

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Ian_H said:

For those that have printed a turnout, what methods are being used to switch the point blades and how are these  being attached to the S&C pointwork?

Hi Ian

You are jumping ahead a bit there -- this is still an experimental project. As far as I know the only finished working turnout so far is one in S scale.

For the intended switch drive arrangements, see:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/175840-is-track-building-making-a-come-back/?do=findComment&comment=5351199

cheers,

Martin.

11 hours ago, Ian_H said:

For those that have printed a turnout, what methods are being used to switch the point blades and how are these  being attached to the S&C pointwork?

Ian

Ian

The timbers on which the first two slide chairs sit on have protrusions/guide strips which hold a slide bar between the base and these strips. a slide plate can be fixed to the switch rails using wire. Its up to the builder to decide how to move the slide bar . A piece of card with ballast stuck to it will cover the slide bar , 

Edit

Martin has come to my rescue with a diagram, as usual a well thought out method by Martin

Please remember its an experimental method which is starting to take shape, anyone thinking of using it should check the machines which are being used by the group, these are ones trialed by Martin and known to work, including the Alkaid which is the cheapest resin printer on the market and under £90

Edited by hayfield

Martin tipped me off that supplies of the resin we use are now available and at a discounted price for Amazon Prime members. I ordered some and its due tomorrow, I still have an order for the 28th again now has been discounted

Now I just need time to set up the machine, design and print some chairs

The first switch rail jig was printed yesterday

57.jpeg.725dd7d39391f0d9d51ccf42317195dc.jpeg

The jig was successfully printed yesterday

58.jpeg.de386324e3854a7b11d28f535fcd2444.jpeg

Used in anger fir the first time, so much easier to use than the society jigs

59.jpeg.505e70ad27f74a69dd0dea2064ae3336.jpeg

Old bit of rail as a test piece, a nice clean back easily filed

60.jpeg.fdc18e0ade888946f509b2cf5a3fbed7.jpeg

The hole in the jig is to allow the jig to be clamped to a work bench if needed

Martin, a super bit of designing. Thank you

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, hayfield said:

57.jpeg.725dd7d39391f0d9d51ccf42317195dc.jpeg

The jig was successfully printed yesterday

58.jpeg.de386324e3854a7b11d28f535fcd2444.jpeg

Used in anger fir the first time, so much easier to use than the society jigs

59.jpeg.505e70ad27f74a69dd0dea2064ae3336.jpeg

Old bit of rail as a test piece, a nice clean back easily filed

60.jpeg.fdc18e0ade888946f509b2cf5a3fbed7.jpeg

The hole in the jig is to allow the jig to be clamped to a work bench if needed

Martin, a super bit of designing. Thank you

@hayfield

Hi John,

Don't forget to mark the back of the blade at 20mm from the end of the jig before removing the rail. You will need that mark when aligning the rail in the jig for the switch front.

Full instructions for using the filing jigs are at:

https://85a.uk/templot/club/index.php?threads/using-the-templot-rail-filing-jigs.728/

cheers,

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Ian

You are jumping ahead a bit there -- this is still an experimental project. As far as I know the only finished working turnout so far is one in S scale.

For the intended switch drive arrangements, see:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/175840-is-track-building-making-a-come-back/?do=findComment&comment=5351199

cheers,

Martin.

8 hours ago, hayfield said:

Ian

The timbers on which the first two slide chairs sit on have protrusions/guide strips which hold a slide bar between the base and these strips. a slide plate can be fixed to the switch rails using wire. Its up to the builder to decide how to move the slide bar . A piece of card with ballast stuck to it will cover the slide bar , 

Edit

Martin has come to my rescue with a diagram, as usual a well thought out method by Martin

Please remember its an experimental method which is starting to take shape, anyone thinking of using it should check the machines which are being used by the group, these are ones trialed by Martin and known to work, including the Alkaid which is the cheapest resin printer on the market and under £90

Sorry Guys,

Jumping the gun as usual, I thought people were actually printing these for inclusion in a model, i've seen some of the videos of Bexhill, clearly I assumed that the concept was further along than it is and was curious to what stresses could be applied for the various methods of switching the points but nevertheless it is very interesting.

Thanks

Ian

2 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

@hayfield

Hi John,

Don't forget to mark the back of the blade at 20mm from the end of the jig before removing the rail. You will need that mark when aligning the rail in the jig for the switch front.

Full instructions for using the filing jigs are at:

https://85a.uk/templot/club/index.php?threads/using-the-templot-rail-filing-jigs.728/

cheers,

Martin.

Martin

Thanks for the link and instructions, I remember from your prototype that there was a stop line and I guessed it was 20mm, which I used. I may have tightened the front bolt too tight, I will recheck it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian_H said:

Sorry Guys,

Jumping the gun as usual, I thought people were actually printing these for inclusion in a model, i've seen some of the videos of Bexhill, clearly I assumed that the concept was further along than it is and was curious to what stresses could be applied for the various methods of switching the points but nevertheless it is very interesting.

Thanks

Ian

Ian

You are not jumping that much too soon, once I get some time in the next few days I will start printing chairs. My plan is to print a small test track which with a little work could be turned into a layout. There are a few restrictions in that only turnouts are supported at the moment. One of the first things is my own experiment in using both plug track and old technology in making a diamond crossing

If someone wants to scratch build a layout using plug track, there is nothing to stop them. Think of it as a scratch building aid. Certainly the jigs work and can be used for any type of construction method as can track bases printed without sockets

One bit of advice is if possible use one of the printers Martin has used and has the settings for

Most of us model for fun and I must say I am having fun with 3D printing

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian_H said:

Sorry Guys,

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

As John says, there is nothing to prevent anyone from building finished turnouts and crossovers now, and installing them on a layout. But as far as I know the only person who has actually reported doing so is Michael Woods in S Scale. See:

https://85a.uk/templot/club/index.php?threads/experimental-plug-track-continued.673/post-9002

I'm sure there will be many more soon. I would be building some myself, but for my recent injury.

cheers,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, hayfield said:

Ian

Edit

I am about to bite the bullet and try and build a 3D printed point, it can't be worse than my first attempts at handbuilt points. I plan on using this point motor:  https://makeitminiature.bigcartel.com/product/single-switch-turnout-actuator. I have a resin printer and hope that Santa knows a bit about FDM printers. Who knows whether it would be possible to get Martin and James to agree on th standard attachmet method so that track bases are fixed to the pointmotor, and can be mounted in place as a single unit... That would be billiant. 

• RMweb Premium

I note the comment about this still being experimental.

Is it / will it be possible to get Templot to give me at least an estimate of how much filament and resin (or rail) I would need to either produce a section of track (plain or turnout), or even the whole plan ? rather than having to wait until I get to the stage of feeding parts into the slicing programs.

Thanks

Adrian

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Is it / will it be possible to get Templot to give me at least an estimate of how much filament and resin (or rail) I would need to either produce a section of track (plain or turnout), or even the whole plan ? rather than having to wait until I get to the stage of feeding parts into the slicing programs.

Thanks

Adrian

@figworthy

Hi Adrian,

Templot can show you the total length of timbers and sleepers. After making some test 3D prints you should be able to calculate the numbers you want. I have no plans to add such calculations to Templot.

Just to add that Templot is not a software product. It is my private hobby interest. Everyone is welcome to share it if they wish. Or not, if they don't like it.

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Thanks

Adrian

Once the plan is sliced that will give you an estimate of length of filament and approx cost. If you look back on this thread Hayfield has outlined some estimated costs for a typical turnout. I seam to recall that in filament about 40p similar in resin and about £1.00 for rail. Ok it does not take into account the machine cost and labour cost. But no matter what it still works out a lot cheaper than any other method. However it is the flexibility that this system gives. For me the ability to produce a more realistic set of track work is key.

Keith

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Once the plan is sliced that will give you an estimate of length of filament and approx cost. If you look back on this thread Hayfield has outlined some estimated costs for a typical turnout. I seam to recall that in filament about 40p similar in resin and about £1.00 for rail. Ok it does not take into account the machine cost and labour cost. But no matter what it still works out a lot cheaper than any other method. However it is the flexibility that this system gives. For me the ability to produce a more realistic set of track work is key.

Keith

Thanks.

It wasn't so much the cost that I had in mind, it was more knowing how much filament/resin I would need if I were to print some or all of the track plan.  Knowing that I can do it for "traditional" methods, it would be useful for forward planning.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Thanks.

It wasn't so much the cost that I had in mind, it was more knowing how much filament/resin I would need if I were to print some or all of the track plan.  Knowing that I can do it for "traditional" methods, it would be useful for forward planning.

Adrian

@figworthy

Hi Adrian,

A 1kg reel of filament is currently showing as £13.56 (it varies), see: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FQKP7NS/

Using the default settings, a timbering base for a B-7 turnout in 4mm/ft scale weighs about 25g.

You can therefore make 40 such bases from 1 reel, and each one will cost 34p.

cheers,

Martin.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1