Revolution Class 66 in N

AY Mod

I'm all in on this one, I've only got 18 in my roster so I'm sure I could justify 18 more!

BUT, the big issue for me is that these models will use the ESU E24 format, which, as far as I can tell is still not a standard format. The only option for non-sound is the ESU 59925 Lokpilot Nano which is about £38.

I'm quite happy with my other Revolution sound fitted models with ESU decoders ( and my Farish ones for that matter) as someone else has done the hard work programming the lights, etc.

I'd much rather use a non-sound Zimo decoder as, IMO, their CV programming is much easier.

And finally, even though I'm happy with my sound fitted Pendolinos, I have observed, admittedly without any scientific tests, that my new Pendolinos, with Zimo Next 18 decoders, run smoother and quieter than my original 4 ESU sound fitted ones. (Anyone suggesting that I turn the sound off to make them quieter gets a slap🙂)

Regards,

John P

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

We've extensively tested the new generation ESU Nano decoders and I feel that the running, especially at very slow speeds, is significantly better than earlier generation ESU decoders.  It is also worth remembering that the original Pendolinos had 6-pin decoders, though as you observed the latest ones have been upgraded to Next 18.

The reason for going with the ESU E24 Nano is that it enables us to offer DCC users a full array of correct, prototypical lighting functions.  This comprises Day and Night running, shunt mode, red tail lighting and cab interior lighting.  

So each end of the loco requires 5 different control feeds (left headlight, right headlight, tail lights, marker lights, cab interior light) and this is too many for Next 18 to support.  For E24 (which we are told is set to be adopted as Next 28 soon)  all can be supported, so all functions can be offered.

We could've forfeited, say, Day and Night running options and shunt mode, or cab interior lights, but we be setting ourselves up for obsolescence since, as with Next 18 a decade ago, we believe Next 28 will tend to become the default albeit there will still be a demand for Next 18 as there still is for 6-pin.

Having played with tested our samples I found that being able to select correct lighting modes, for example when shunting, or parking up, did have a significant impact on enhancing the 'driver experience' of the models.

It is also worth mentioning that the ESU E24 Nano decoders are a bit smaller than Next 18, so we could more easily fit them beneath the engine cover, avoiding the need for customers to remove the whole body to fit the decoder and still retaining the maximum chassis block size for weight.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

If I could add to Ben’s reply, I’m very much a Zimo user, both for my OO gauge stock and N Gauge, but having extensively tested both our EP samples using the ESU Nano E24 format, I can assure you that the motor control is perfect. For comparison, the latest basic non sound Zimo 6 pin decoder (which was £20) is now £35 and doesn’t offer the functionality of the ESU Lokpilot V5 Nano. 

• RMweb Premium

Did anyone get to see the 66 in person at the show today?…. I’m certain it will be a cracking model.

One additional thought about the bespoke numbering by Rainbow - having seen their handiwork firsthand, whilst it is top quality, I do wonder how the colour density compares to a running number that the factory has tampo printed (eg. 66083)….? By which I mean, if a place 66083 alongside a running number of my choice, will they appear somewhat different?…. really only talking about the colour density I think and fractional variation in colour, just by virtue of different printing processes….

Pretty smart looking loco but I am sure someone is going to complain about that body gap in the lift off element.

The detail below the body is absolutely amazing, it does not look like an N gauge model.

Well done guys, but unless you are doing it green small yellow panels with a D prefix then it's a little ahead of my time period.

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Pretty smart looking loco but I am sure someone is going to complain about that body gap in the lift off element.

The detail below the body is absolutely amazing, it does not look like an N gauge model.

Well done guys, but unless you are doing it green small yellow panels with a D prefix then it's a little ahead of my time period.

The fit and overall finish will be improved on the production models so I would expect the gap to not be as noticeable, and to be honest it's not as bad as the massively enlarged photos make it out to be in the flesh, even on these early samples. 

Tom. 

I think the gap between the body and the chassis near the light clusters are more visible - in all the photos they seem to have been gone at with a rough file, presumably early mouldings that don’t fit?

The detailing is very impressive except for those wing mirrors. If I buy one I must make sure I avoid the versions with them as to me the supports look badly overscale - no doubt necessarily though.

David 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Folks

For those of you that have asked questions, here’s some info on the 66.

Our ‘Shed’ uses the same chassis as our Class 59, which incorporates a coreless motor mounted in a die-cast chassis block, driving internally geared bogie towers via cardan shafts. All 6 axles are driven, but the centre axle is slightly sprung which helps smooth out any bumpy track joints (it won’t unfortunately compensate for misaligned track though - we’re not miracle workers!).

The model will weigh approximately 105g and kinematic coupling mounts are provided at both ends.

All models will be supplied DCC ready (DC) and DCC fitted only, and use an ESU E24 decoder interface. Our sound fitted models use a Loksound 5 Nano decoder, and for those of you wishing to take the DCC ready option, there is a Lokpilot 5 Nano decoder that will be available shortly. RRP for the Lokpilot is yet to be announced but we believe it will be comparable to any decent ‘non budget’ decoder at around £37-£42.

Decoder access is via the lift off engine cover and all models come pre fitted with a speaker. 

Our models have fully functioning, prototypical lighting, as per our Class 59, which will allow for light engine, train mode (some people including us may call this by another name) to allow head or tail light only operation, park mode, shunt mode, day and night time running and directional auto off cab lighting. The lighting arrangements cover original BMAC light clusters (sometimes referred to as IOo) through to present day revised lighting clusters where all four lights plus the top marker can be illuminated. 

For DC only users, only the head and taillights operate and can be switched on or off via switches mounted on the decoder blanking plate.

We have tooled for three different body variations. Original Tier 0 (non low emission), and Tier 1 (low emission or ‘5 door’) London built and Muncie built locos.

Various ‘tie down loop’ arrangements have been catered for along with cosmetic swing head buckeye couplers where applicable.

There are three different horn grilles, original Class 59, U.K. and European.

There are two top marker lights, UK and European

We have allowed for both two and three piece cab side windows. 

There are two bogie types which are prototypical to each individual loco (however some may have been swapped during the course of the locos life) and will be fitted accordingly depending on the era that we’ve depicted the loco.

The models will come super detailed at one end. There will be a separate accessory pack containing one blank air dam, one air dam with a coupling slot, a standard Rapido coupling, and some additional pipework if you wish to either detail both ends, or add a coupling for double heading. 

‘Revolution Bespoke’ will allow you to pre-order certain models using a base version and have a number / name of your choice (within a given range) added by Rainbow Railways at an additional cost. Full details will be on our website in due course.

The decorated samples on display at Warley were hurriedly assembled and painted in order to get them shipped over in time for the show. As was the case with the Class 59, the production process will be tightened up and the fit of parts, and paint finish will be considerably better. 

We are currently finalising the rest of the livery drawings and the deadline for ‘early bird’ price is the end of January 2024.

I’m sure I may have missed a few things but I hope that helps to answer any questions.

Cheers

Mike B

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good news for those worried about the new decoder socket in these (and the 59). Zimo seem to have announced they are doing decoders for it on their website.

Sound one is listed as "available soon" with non sound due Q2 2024

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Well-known Peterborough-based retailer Trains4U has commissioned an exclusive twin-pack of N gauge Class 66s with a miitary them - GBRf's 66723 Chinook and 66775/F231 HMS Argyll.

66723 at Leyland 17/03/23

(Photo:  Aaron Roberts)

66775 Tonbridge, 28/08/23

(Photo: Richard Jones.)

The models will be supplied in an attractive presentation box, and every sale will include a donation to two armed forces' charities associated with the RAF and Royal Navy, with a minimum of £1500 guaranteed for each.

Thanks to Revolution's comprehensive tooling suite, these locomotives will feature accurate combinations of detailing, and they are expected to be ready to ship by Q3/4 2024.  Each set is priced at £325 and can be reserved by contacting Trains4U.  The models are supplied DC Silent but like all our models feature factory fitted speakers so upgrading to sound is simple.

For more information see our news page here:  https://revolutiontrains.com/news/

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

For those of you inquiring about decoders, we will be selling pre mapped Lokpilot Nano 5s directly to suit every loco.

We have just listed the Class 59 decoders on our website at £36.95 each and will list the Class 66 decoders nearer the time of release.

Cheers

Mike B

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The GBRf 'Military' twin pack is now available to pre-order
Simply register your interest by selecting the form on our homepage at Trains4U.com and entering your details.

We will contact you for payment once the sets arrive.

And don't forget, you will be helping us support two very worthy causes.

For each set produced, Trains4U will donate £10 to the Royal Air Forces Association (RAFA) and £10 to the Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity (RNRMC) 

Screenshot 2024-01-30 193759.png

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Trains4U said:

The GBRf 'Military' twin pack is now available to pre-order
Simply register your interest by selecting the form on our homepage at Trains4U.com and entering your details.

We will contact you for payment once the sets arrive.

And don't forget, you will be helping us support two very worthy causes.

For each set produced, Trains4U will donate £10 to the Royal Air Forces Association (RAFA) and £10 to the Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity (RNRMC) 

Screenshot 2024-01-30 193759.png

Superb news - I really like unusual and special liveries, so this is definitely one for the GBRf range!

Just one question, though I am sure it's goes without saying, are both powered?

Another manufacturer have done Powered + Dummy pair packs before... and I couldn't see it in the details (excuse me if I missed it - probably just time of day when checking/writing this).

Great stuff!

Ixion.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Revolution have a couple more livery samples on show at Glasgow this weekend. If you’re at the show make sure you swing by to check them out!  

IMG_7572.jpeg.88850d977ecac1f01f5f1c9f0f5e7415.jpeg

There are more pics up on NGN now.

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...