RMweb

Line closure Salisbury to Yeovil

• RMweb Gold

BBC News - Worn-out tracks cause railway line closure

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-67524633

Seems like just over a mile of track has to be replaced.  

It's taking 16 days.....

Only last week I watched this....

Seems like back 60 years ago a half mile(?) length was done on one  Sunday....

Why does this new relay really take so long? I know they are also cutting vegetation etc, but that can happen at the same time....

Ian

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

This closure, in addition to all the other extended closures and engineering works planned or otherwise over the last 2 years makes a complete mockery of having an annual season and trying to commute over the WOE line - the operational treatment of services over this line is a joke too. I recently had 8 consecutive days of Delay Repay claims to make - it's a disgrace and this latest blockade will end being a complete balls-up service-wise. I've actually taken three weeks annual leave to avoid travelling. Beyond Salisbury might just as well be on Mars - it's only 90 miles from Waterloo - that's a long shunt .......................

The WOE route - NR can't maintain or control it properly and SWR can't operate it properly.

And apologies to PaulRhB of this parish for the frustrated generalisation.

Edited by Southernman46
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Southernman46 said:

This closure, in addition to all the other extended closures and engineering works planned or otherwise over the last 2 years makes a complete mockery of having an annual season and trying to commute over the WOE line - the operational treatment of services over this line is a joke too. I recently had 8 consecutive days of Delay Repay claims to make - it's a disgrace and this latest blockade will end being a complete balls-up service-wise. I've actually taken three weeks annual leave to avoid travelling. Beyond Salisbury might just as well be on Mars - it's only 90 miles from Waterloo - that's a long shunt .......................

The WOE route - NR can't maintain or control it properly and SWR can't operate it properly.

And apologies to RhB of this parish for the frustrated generalisation.

Last job i seen down that way was Broom Crossing , after relaying a ballast drop 37 dogfish and plough van , tamper was broke down pway having to pack every six by hand with less blokes than  todays sites with loads of plant . I think the only plant on site was two ackermans . Its more mechanised now but it seams to take longer . Basic relaying use to be after lifting out track , was two 951's or 110's digging out onto grampus then level bottom ballast tipped off mermaids winched up by hand and dust everywhere if dry 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Back in the '70s when Dick Sloman was the ACE at Yeovil Jcn he would relay more than half a mile in a single 27 hour possession on the Salisbury - Exeter line.

Allowing for the time taken to take and give up possessions (hours saved when you're going in for more than a couple of days))at that rate he could probably relay about 12 miles in a 16 day possession.  Even NR managed the best part of  3 miles in just under 5 days on our local branch earlier this year.  Shutting any route  for this long to carry out simple engineering work strikes me as downright barmy and is the planning genius of the loony bin.    

Lines blocked for hours or days simply to di as basicaly simple job affecting not all running lines seems now to be the order of the day.  How to discourage rail travel i. one easy lesson.

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L21700/2023-11-29/detailed

It continues to go well - 1st train from London failing to get to Crewkerne BEFORE midday - that is abysmal service in anyone's book - really, really worth the 9.5k Annual Season from Crewkerne ............................. 😡

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The BBC News report does say that more is being done than just track renewal;

'Engineers will also be clearing vegetation, completing level crossing maintenance and stabilising earthworks by Gillingham tunnel.'

Perhaps the last item is the real reason for the extended closure?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, caradoc said:

The BBC News report does say that more is being done than just track renewal;

'Engineers will also be clearing vegetation, completing level crossing maintenance and stabilising earthworks by Gillingham tunnel.'

Perhaps the last item is the real reason for the extended closure?

Could well be - dealing with troublesome earthworks is going to be a lot easier / quicker if you don’t have to worry about keeping trains running safely past your worksite.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Out of interest - when was Buckhorn Weston Tunnel 'moved' to Gillingham ?

18/8/73

It hasn't moved, it's still at Buckhorn Weston...........🙂 (AKA Gillingham Tunnel)

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Stoke West said:

There have been problems there over the years , im sure there has been temporary single line working set up thro the tunnel more than once

I've got some pics of that in one of my Books. temp Crossover and Box to control those. Early 60s that was, when it were proper job Double Track and top notch Engineered speedy Main Line. (90+ through Axminster and Seaton Junction etc.)

It's always been a rather 'wet route', especially west of Axminster, but I'm not familiar with the situation east of Axminster.

Phil.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

... though Gillingham Tunnel is close ( in fact a lot closer ) to Gillingham - with a soft 'G' !

Your confusing me...

Gillingham Dorset is hard G 

Gillingham Kent is soft G

• Agree 3

Two miles of single line north of Bridlington was relayed with CWR and steel sleepers last month. A weekend job. Alas, some equipment failed right at the end, preventing sign off. A fresh machine was located and brought in, but it took almost another two days to finally open the line.

• Informative/Useful 1

42 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Your confusing me...

Gillingham Dorset is hard G 

Gillingham Kent is soft G

Yup - lived in the soft one for 25 years - pass through the hard one most days now - at least those days when there are trains - still support the soft ones footie team - 50+ years of lower division disappointment 🙄

Edited by Southernman46
  • Friendly/supportive 1