Loksound v4 M4 OEM - unable to reload sound?

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

I have acquired a Loksound  v4 from a Piko BR130.

I'm trying to reblow the decoder with an ESU file, but it won't let me.

It is a Loksound v4 M4 OEM

It will let me reload the setting (CV/function map), but not overwrite the sound file.

I even downloaded one of the ESU OEM files from the ESU website and that was a fail.

Are Loksound V4 OEM decoders locked and unable to be reblown?

TIA

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember a while back some loksound chips as fitted to Bachmann locos couldn’t be overwritten as they were something like a loksound ‘select’ chips 

It was about the time the price point on factory sound fitted locos dropped a touch and it turned out that was the compromise, wonder if it’s one of those? 

EDIT: I’m sure it was mentioned the class 20s in train sets had them fitted, whiskey galore and the permanent way set (20088)

Edited by big jim
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A lot of the OEM fitted decoders were indeed V4 Selects, which cannot have the sound file overwritten.   You do have access to the CVs of the Select, but the sound file cannot be changed.

I would think it highly likely that you do have a Select.

Bachmann did fit Selects into some of their models, but not all!

Steve

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, 55020 said:

A lot of the OEM fitted decoders were indeed V4 Selects, which cannot have the sound file overwritten.   You do have access to the CVs of the Select, but the sound file cannot be changed.

I would think it highly likely that you do have a Select.

Bachmann did fit Selects into some of their models, but not all!

Steve

I have overwritten Selects before - with ESU Select files.

I will try a Select file on the decoder in question.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/11/2023 at 12:24, newbryford said:

I have overwritten Selects before - with ESU Select files.

I will try a Select file on the decoder in question.

Interesting.  Not something I've heard of before.  Please let us know how you get on.

Steve

20 hours ago, 55020 said:

Interesting.  Not something I've heard of before.  Please let us know how you get on.

It is how the "Select" was meant to work....    For the US market, there were a collection of "Select" downloads one could put onto any Select decoder.   
BUT those files are totally different to other LokSound files and can't be created by ordinary LokProgrammer owners.    So, they're a fixed list provided by ESU, can't create new ones of your own.   

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/11/2023 at 11:01, big jim said:

I seem to remember a while back some loksound chips as fitted to Bachmann locos couldn’t be overwritten as they were something like a loksound ‘select’ chips 

It was about the time the price point on factory sound fitted locos dropped a touch and it turned out that was the compromise, wonder if it’s one of those? 

EDIT: I’m sure it was mentioned the class 20s in train sets had them fitted, whiskey galore and the permanent way set (20088)

Permenant way deffo have a select. The whiskies set is a v5. 

The selects were fitted to most Bachmann sound locos at the time