Bachmann 4-CEP

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Rich's comment on the relative power of the 150 and the 4CEP occurred to me too when I was testing the latter. I haven't hooked up the whole unit yet, but I can imagine that it might prove to be underpowered on layouts with steep gradients and I'd be interested in any experiences to prove/disprove that theory. Conversely, the 150 seems to be heavily over-engineered and could probably equal my Heljan Duffs in haulage capacity!My first thought on handling the 4CEP was that I would have happily paid a bit extra to have a power bogie at each end, as per the prototype.

NSE is unlikely, unless they do a completely new model for the refurbished units.

But I'd want one of those in Blue/Grey first tongue.gif Unlike the (unrefurbished) 4BEP, I'd not say that a refurbished CEP would be inevitable as it's pretty much a completely new model barring underframes and wotnot. Plus the motor would be in plain view rather than hidden in the guard's compartment :( Would still want one though...

Looked at a Blue/ Grey today and to my eye, untrained in Southern matters, it looks superb, a big improvement even on the mk1s from the same stable. I was sorely tempted but remembered the thousand and one other things on my shopping list I could actually use!

Price wise at around ??100 it seems to be a bit of a bargain. With the new generation of Bachmann mk 1s knocking on ??20, the improved standard and motor comes at little more than ??20.

• RMweb Gold

Rich's comment on the relative power of the 150 and the 4CEP occurred to me too when I was testing the latter. I haven't hooked up the whole unit yet, but I can imagine that it might prove to be underpowered on layouts with steep gradients and I'd be interested in any experiences to prove/disprove that theory. Conversely, the 150 seems to be heavily over-engineered and could probably equal my Heljan Duffs in haulage capacity!My first thought on handling the 4CEP was that I would have happily paid a bit extra to have a power bogie at each end, as per the prototype.

The 4CEP has a great deal more power than it needs. The motor coach weighs in at an impressive 420gm. Not only does the unit sail up and down my long 1-in-50 gradients without any problem, it will also do this with additional coaches in tow. I've got a 4-coach rake of Bachmann MK1s (a "4-TC") and it happily pushes or pulls this up these gradients at full speed. So I would think there'd be no problem with coupling powered and unpowered 4CEPs into an 8-car set should Bachmann make an unpowered 4CEP available.

Hello,

I see at the Rails of Sheffield Website that the one Motorcar of the blue/grey Unit have the "Headcode" with two red squares (the Tail Light!)

does this mean that I can give up the train only in one direction?

Greetings

Dennis

Hello,

I see at the Rails of Sheffield Website that the one Motorcar of the blue/grey Unit have the "Headcode" with two red squares (the Tail Light!)

does this mean that I can give up the train only in one direction?

Greetings

Dennis

If as the green'un, there should be a replacement headcode panel which is easy to swap so the train can have number headcodes at each end, or swapped so the powered car has the tail markings.

N

A thought struck me last night. How do you say CEP? Is it 'sep' or 'kep'? I've always gone for 'sep'...

Hi Del,

You could always merge the two, as in Scep(tic).

Regards, Septic.

Rails are now showing the blue and grey version on their website.

NSE is unlikely, unless they do a completely new model for the refurbished units.

Hi All.

By the look of the model, it appears that Bachmann have already worked on a set of moulds to produce, what is in fact, a completely new pair of Mk.1 coaches, i.e. a Corridor 2nd. and Composite, with raised window frames/roof detail etc. and an adaptable underframe / chassis. Not counting their investment in the DBMS.

If all go's well with the sales of this unit, and the following 2-EPB, I would not be surprised, and encouraged by, any forthcoming announcements from Bachmann's venture into this, previously untapped, field of the market.

Regards.

Hi All.

By the look of the model, it appears that Bachmann have already worked on a set of moulds to produce, what is in fact, a completely new pair of Mk.1 coaches, i.e. a Corridor 2nd. and Composite, with raised window frames/roof detail etc. and an adaptable underframe / chassis. Not counting their investment in the DBMS.

If all go's well with the sales of this unit, and the following 2-EPB, I would not be surprised, and encouraged by, any forthcoming annoucements from Bachmann's venture into this, previously untapped, field of the market.

Regards.

I really can't see a problem with these units not selling,after all its what a lot of us have been waiting for,for a long time.The announcement of the 4-CEP is the model that started me off in modelling a year ago after a break of 25years and it has at long last appeared and I have to say that it is well beyond my expectations!

Peter.

It's Probably 4 - SEEP ? rolleyes.gif

Yes its a truly great model, but, strewth, what a wait it has been - Mine arrived here in Canada from Hattons having been sent, due to a computer glitch, via surface mail (13 week delivery time - don't ask) having taken only nine days to do the trip! Now that is a miracle...

I think that would cost Bachmann a lot of money to implement. I can't see them offering this option unless and until they sell what is currently on offer.

Plus the guard's compartment is in the wrong position to hide the mechanism properly there as well.

Mine arrived here in Canada from Hattons having been sent, due to a computer glitch, via surface mail (13 week delivery time - don't ask) having taken only nine days to do the trip! Now that is a miracle...

I believe all the mail from the UK, or at least Hattons, goes by air to the US regardless of whether you pay for air or surface. The difference is that if the air mail space is taken by air mail the surface package sits at the airport for another try on the next day or plane. In the off season when there isn't much mail being mailed, I regularly get surface packages from Hattons at just past two weeks. Air mail is quicker, by a only few days. Towards Christmas, surface does take much longer because all the contracted space on the planes is taken by mail that's paid for at the air rate. I'd bet mail to Canada is similar.

You are lucky to have gotten your "surface" package so quickly since we are getting close to Christmas. This is the only time of the year I don't let them ship surface...

Well I have owned mine for about 11 hours now and the coupling bars have driven me mad so they've gone. The unit has been run in, coaches made so the lights work without needing the jumpers and has been fitted with Hornby continental couplings. Works a treat. Will try and get a picture of the mods although it does take a bit of work to get in the damn things.

Well I have owned mine for about 11 hours now and the coupling bars have driven me mad so they've gone. The unit has been run in, coaches made so the lights work without needing the jumpers and has been fitted with Hornby continental couplings. Works a treat. Will try and get a picture of the mods although it does take a bit of work to get in the damn things.

RE non working lights etc... Over on SMEg it seems to have traspired that some of the circuit boards may have been wired up wrong.

Members seem to have worked around the situation by swapping the black and red wires on the boards in the coaches where lights are not working, they are attached by a push on plastic cap on the edge of the boards so no soldering required.

I would also suggest an email to Bachmann, who have been made aware of the problem or some of them and I'm sure would appretiate more info so they can work out if this a small problem " lost in translation" so to speak or some thing that is going to be a major headache ( Sic )

HTH

Mike

RE non working lights etc... Over on SMEg it seems to have traspired that some of the circuit boards may have been wired up wrong.

Members seem to have worked around the situation by swapping the black and red wires on the boards in the coaches where lights are not working, they are attached by a push on plastic cap on the edge of the boards so no soldering required.

I would also suggest an email to Bachmann, who have been made aware of the problem or some of them and I'm sure would appretiate more info so they can work out if this a small problem " lost in translation" so to speak or some thing that is going to be a major headache ( Sic )

HTH

Mike

As one of those who has posted about the lighting problem on SeMG:

On my 4CEP I needed to swap the red / black connectors under the seating in the powered MBS (prior to this F0 operated headcode in powered car and interior lights in other three cars, F1 controlled the front car's interior lights and rear headcode) - thanks to Clive of Huddersfield for this solution.

I had also emailed Bachmann re the problem and got a fast reply from Richard Matthews (Service Manager) making the same suggestion.

It seems that the connectors (probably) need swapping over in the first coach where the interior lights don't work correctly.

Regards

Mike

Archived