Bachmann 4-CEP

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

It may be a bit early to ask this, but

Can this be operated as a two carriage set or does it have to be all four? This would be a big factor in the purchasing decision as I do not have the room for the full rake?

TIA

del00

Can this be operated as a two carriage set or does it have to be all four? This would be a big factor in the purchasing decision as I do not have the room for the full rake?

It might work, but IMO it would look pretty silly as a two car unit (and very unprototypical). You'd be better off waiting for the 2EPB.

I seem to recall reading that the instructions that came with the CEP say that the unit has to be coupled together in the correct configuration only, in order to make the pickups work properly. I'm not sure whether that would affect running it as a short formation, or simply with one carriage the wrong way round, for example.

There was a 4-CEP DMBS which was coupled to a Class 501 DTBS to form a Departmental unit at Strawberry Hill Depot. Now all I need is a layout with an EMU depot and a model of a DTBS from a Class 501 unit umm!biggrin.gif

Xerces Fobe

That was one of the Southern test coaches (possibly Mars?) which was rebuilt out of a 501 motor coach, with B4 type bogies and EPB control gear. It would make a nice model. One of the survivors of 2 x 3 car 501 units transferred to the Souther in the late 1960s for testing equipment for the PEP units.

Hi,

Is there anymore news on when we can get our hands of this beauty?

Simon

As unfashionable as it may be to ask such questions - I could do with an answer on this too. Getting hassled for 'Christmas ideas'. Well, the answer is simple - a Blue/Grey 4-CEP - but if it's not likely to be available over the festive season, then I might have to make do with car tax instead. I know what I'd rather have!

saw the 4-CEP samples at peterborugh shop a few weeks back and they look great, Bachmann were very helpful to me with

my questions...

a 4 - BEP may happen if sales go well on this one. (which i am sure they will)

also modelzone have a ltd edtn in all blue too

i assume the samples will be at warley this weekend too.

as you may know already you have to use the special supplied couplers to allow the power current pick-up to go through the whole

train...

so that means no messing/adding the formations, no adding a buffet car, but i guess perhaps you could do a shortened 2/3-CEP?

i do not know if you can replace the umpowered mk1 bogies on the trailers with commonwealth or B4 ones...

seems the power is picked up from ALL the coaches wheels.

regards rog

The Bachmann products website was updated today and the green 4-CEP without yellow panel is showing as in stock with a green tick. If this is correct (sometimes the in stock status changes), it may be with sellers in time for Warley.

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=4

There are lots of excellent close-up pictures of this one on the Hatton's website at http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=21225

Only one I can see there at present is being sold by a model shop, for about 15 quid more than you can get it elsewhere.

What has been said in the past about ebay profiteering?...

Thats unduly harsh on the said model shop (Monk Bar of York) when the price (??109.99) is still significantly less than Bachmanns list price (??129.50)

Just bought mine from The Hobby Shop in Faversham (CEP homeland) for ??105. It really is excellent. Just how I remember them from 25+ years commuting.

Does anyone know whether destination boards are available from any source to affix on the sides?

Gerry

• RMweb Premium

Now in stock at Hattons....

...and now sold out again!! :icon_e_surprised: Well it has disappeared from their new releases page in the last ten minutes. I presume this is the standard Bachmann trick of airlifting a few in to get some in circulation in time for Warley :icon_yawn: Typical....

I picked up a set today, and I think I can engineer a third rail on at least part of my layout.

It's now going away for Santa, wink.gif

There seem to be a few of these around, but I know that on previous years Bachmann have air shipped only limited quantities of 'new releases' for Warley week.

I was lucky enough to get a new Bachmann EWS 66135 in the same week a few years ago, it was another 2 months before the next batch arrived!

It's a good idea to pop into your local store regularly the week before Warley to snap up those early releases!!

N

...and now sold out again!! :icon_e_surprised: Well it has disappeared from their new releases page in the last ten minutes.

I know it's very early days but these first signs are encouraging that there is a market for Southern Region EMUs. After all the decades of wishing and frothing, people seem to be opening their wallets. I'd better get those arcing blue flashes ordered from Express Models and check my TP Huts are working properly.

Hi Guys.

This morning, Modelzone Crawley had two in stock (Green) but one sold while I was there having a chat and looking at the Motorised car. One driven bogie but really quite heavy. Should pull OK.

One small detail I just cant remember at the moment is if the Generator and Battery being on the same motor coach is correct. I seem to vagely rmember that they were at opposite ends.

Still. A veryyyyyy nice model.

Dave

Archived