Bachmann 4-CEP

Andy Y

Too soon to tell, I suspect - judging by comments with retailers I gather a lot of models have a fairly impressive initial sales spike followed by a rapid tail-off once the "ooh, it's just out - I must have one this instant" brigade have got theirs. I hope it does well, and I can see the attraction in it (though having to assemble and dismantle it sounds like a major pain - I certainly don't have room to keep a fully assembled rake on my layout all the time) but I think we'll have to wait a while before we see if it's a game-changer.

Maybe a siding in the fiddle yard leading to a cartridge would be the answer, you could just put the cartridges on a shelf when not in use, that would avoid having to separate all the coaches every time.But yeah maybe they will tail off, as long as I get my hands on one... Like I said it'll probably have to be after Christmas, perhaps in the January sales which would give me time to ebay a few bits and pieces so that my wallet doesn't scream too loudly...

If anyone's looking for an alternative to the supplied couplings, Roco 40345. It's not a cheap option though, with an RRP of Eur14.50 per pair- and you'd want three pairs per 4-CEP! It's not designed for repeated uncoupling, but is easier than plugging and unplugging from NEM sockets.

post-6973-12592688158862_thumb.jpg

Question is, would the extra ??30 or so on the RRP for a similar coupling be welcomed? Personally, I think the 4-CEP is a bargain, and if a simpler current conducting system is what's kept the price as remarkably low as it is, then I accept that.

I played with mine a bit more today. As I said before the unit superb is when it is up.

My concern, as someone who has to take it apart to store, is how long those couplings will last with the contacts intact. I fear the electric connectors will dislodge very soon from the plastic casing.

On the plus side the assembling is getting quicker with practice and I have an ever reducing fear I am going to snap the plastic.

In my first post I noted that several of the connecting bars won't fit into the sockets without very significant pressure. All of the probem connectors are the longer ones, all the short ones fit ok.

I doubt that it would add ??30 to the price- there's a chunk of profit in there and the German manufacturers do seem to be a bit pricey anyway. A 4 pin bar wouldn't be hard either, and would allow continuous power pickup through the whole train.

As of early Friday morning (Nov 27) on their website Hattons has bumped up the price of the all green unit to ??129 (nearly full MRRP), the yellow panel version to ??107 and the blue/grey one to ??99. They all were at ??97 a day or so ago. So they must be expecting demand to greatly exceed supply or Bachmann is hiking the price to them.

As of early Friday morning (Nov 27) on their website Hattons has bumped up the price of the all green unit to ??129 (nearly full MRRP), the yellow panel version to ??107 and the blue/grey one to ??99.? ? They all were at ??97 a day or so ago.? ? So they must be expecting demand to greatly exceed supply or Hornby is hiking the price to them.

Ummm ... that's Bachmann, I think!!!

:huh:

• RMweb Gold

Others seem to be hiking the price as well - Rails of Sheffield has gone up from 96.50 to 127.50.

As the lighting arrangement of the coaches is poor (and none of my other stock is lit, apart from a few Pullman table lamps) I'm looking at giving up on using the lights. This would allow replacing the coupling bar with any other NEM coupling. I've tried a pair of Roco couplers (??1 per pair from Keen Systems) and the result is most satisfactory - especially with the motor coach at the rear. The corridor connectors actually touch and there are no internal buffers to cause a buffer-locking problem even on points. Although the lights no longer work, the headcode panel on the motor coach still functions. And of course coaches can be individually lifted off the track.

I'm just planning on using Kadee no 19s on the internal couplings. Saves hassle Won't have any lighting but then I always have the supplied ones as back up if I ever need that or have an impromptu night running session lol.

Also if prices are being hiked then maybe my decision to hold off until after xmas was the right one as that's more time available to save the extra cash. I do hope some prices come down after Boxing Day/New Year.

I'm sure there will be some available after the christmas rush. I hope so, at least.

• RMweb Gold

Was very tempted to buy one back at Warley but managed to resist (just), does look a fantastic model and hopefully will be the first of many EMUs. Fingers crossed next year will see them announce the refurbished version (then I really wont be able to resist.)

Seems very strange they with the 150 they go and fill a coach with a centre mounted motor driving both bogies for a 2car unit, yet for a 4 car CEP where you could perhaps justify that they go with a single bogies drive....

As of early Friday morning (Nov 27) on their website Hattons has bumped up the price of the all green unit to ??129 (nearly full MRRP), the yellow panel version to ??107 and the blue/grey one to ??99. They all were at ??97 a day or so ago. So they must be expecting demand to greatly exceed supply or Bachmann is hiking the price to them.

That is Hatton's standard policy. they know how many models they have (They won't get any more as the entire run is sold out) Get in early and they are cheap, but as the available stock dwindles, the price goes up towards - and sometimes beyond RRP.

The blue/grey one has probably had the small increase due to the VAT change as they are not expected to arrive until January, otherwise the price is still at the first threshold.

The green ones are selling out quick, the GSYP has reached their middle threshold price (I guess they have sold more than 70% of stock) and the all green ones will now almost all be reserved and is at the last threshold price(We are expecting the rest of the plain green ones to arrive in January)

Hatton's have done this for years and it should come as no surprise.

As it is, all our units are still at ??105, and although we will add another ??3 for the increase in VAT in January, will remain at around that price until the last one sells.

Bachmann have not increased the price and are not likely to.

Has anyone run one of these on Peco third rail yet? Is there a good clearance between the rail and the shoe? (I realise it's supposed to contact in real life but that's no good for running a scale model!!).

Hi,

My one runs on third rail perfectly, there's about a 1mm of clearance between the the shoes and the rail.

Simon

Hi,

My one runs on third rail perfectly, there's about a 1mm of clearance between the the shoes and the rail.

Simon

Thanks. I've spent a lot of time laying third rail in readiness for an onslaught of first generation Southern EMUs and then had a horrible thought that perhaps Bachmann overlooked the clearance issue :blink:

I had to take about a millimetre off what I think are supposed to be sanders on the Limby 73s, but everything else seems to clear the conductor rail OK, although it's tight with my Networkers.

Bachmann Website still showing the same price of ??129.50. Which for 4 new coaches still aint bad value.

Bachmann Website still showing the same price of ??129.50. Which for 4 new coaches still aint bad value.

Very true and don't forget that the recommended price of the 2EPB is ??96.95 - with advance prices around ??79, so even at full list price the two extra coaches in the 4CEP are less than two new Mk1s.

Very true and don't forget that the recommended price of the 2EPB is ??96.95 - with advance prices around ??79, so even at full list price the two extra coaches in the 4CEP are less than two new Mk1s.

Presumably having more detailing parts to apply in the factory pushes the price up, and an EPB has a lot more separate cable runs on the roof compared to a CEP or a Mk1 loco hailed coach (or a DMU). This might explain the higher price.

Seems very strange they with the 150 they go and fill a coach with a centre mounted motor driving both bogies for a 2car unit, yet for a 4 car CEP where you could perhaps justify that they go with a single bogies drive....

There must be a logic in there somewhere Rich. Can't for the life of me see it myselfblink.gif

Had a look at one in ESM to day. Must admit I was very tempted to lay third rail down towards Exeter for it.biggrin.gif

Archived