USATC S100 tank - early 1940s as-built livery query

Mol_PMB

I have a question about the plates on these locos. Can anyone help?

On the right side of the smokebox was a rectangular plate, this seems common to locos from all manufacturers. What was this plate and what did it look like close up?

92296590_10158517593420312_4159190924368

It's not a builder's worksplate. The Vulcan-built locos had circular worksplates, which looked like this, and can just be seen on the smokebox saddle front, above the nearest buffer in the photo above.568.jpg

Thanks,
Paul

There is a Transportation Corps font available, which is useful at least for the wheel emblem. The letters are a reasonable match for some of the locomotives but others have flats top and bottom. The numbers do not seem to be typical of those used.

There are a series of pictures of S100 locomotives at Newbury in 1947 by Casserley that show many more variations, in particular the placing of the lettering.usatcfont.JPG.24c6bbacff651dcafaa52bbf8a937f09.JPG

• Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Tony Cane said:

There is a Transportation Corps font available, which is useful at least for the wheel emblem. The letters are a reasonable match for some of the locomotives but others have flats top and bottom. The numbers do not seem to be typical of those used.

There are a series of pictures of S100 locomotives at Newbury in 1947 by Casserley that show many more variations, in particular the placing of the lettering.usatcfont.JPG.24c6bbacff651dcafaa52bbf8a937f09.JPG

Ah, that's great, many thanks.

For 4326's version of the lettering, I think I'm happier with my lettering and logo (the stencilled logo on the S100s is a simplified version of the winged wheel).

But the numbers on that font look much better for the as-delivered version, I'll see if I can copy them.

I have a feeling that rectangular plate may be a boiler registration plate, because in some countries, I think including the USA, boilers have to be individually numbered, tested, certified, and registered. Some US builders (Baldwin?) also put the locomotive builders plate in roughly that location too.

• Like 1

The plate is also reproduced on the Bachmann model. On the LMR version it reads

CORPS OF ENGINEERS

U.S. ARMY

C.OFE SPEC NO 7531

P.O. NO xxxxx

MANUFACTURED BY

DAVENPORT LOCOMOTIVE WORKS

No 2531 zzzz 1943

The xxxxx and zzzz stand for unreadable numbers or letters.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Tony Cane said:

The plate is also reproduced on the Bachmann model. On the LMR version it reads

CORPS OF ENGINEERS

U.S. ARMY

C.OFE SPEC NO 7531

P.O. NO xxxxx

MANUFACTURED BY

DAVENPORT LOCOMOTIVE WORKS

No 2531 zzzz 1943

The xxxxx and zzzz stand for unreadable numbers or letters.

Wonderful, thanks. That's probably enough detail for me to add one to my next custom etch.

It's also helped me find the right terms to Google which hs produced this result:

144.jpg

Edited by Mol_PMB
additional image
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 30/11/2023 at 18:44, Graham_Muz said:

I'm trying to do 4326 for Canute Road Quay, and have the Model Rail 1968 already stripped of her numbers,  but have yet to find suitable number decals for it, I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions? 

@Graham_Muz if you are able to use the info in this thread to draw up the correct sized lettering I have the ability to print white on my laser printer and would be happy to run a sheet off you. Your website has been an invaluable source of information and inspiration as I start on my 00 journey and be the least I can do. 

Leigh

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Fettster42 said:

@Graham_Muz if you are able to use the info in this thread to draw up the correct sized lettering I have the ability to print white on my laser printer and would be happy to run a sheet off you. Your website has been an invaluable source of information and inspiration as I start on my 00 journey and be the least I can do. 

Leigh

Leigh, 

Thank you for your kind offer, I am pleased you have found my ramblings on my website useful. 
As it happens by trawling through the many sheets of various transfers I have acquired over time I found some numbers that I was happy with. 
IMG_4802.jpeg.c24ecfbfe2d55679225d16bf6b8bbfb8.jpeg

• Like 1