Advent Calendar 2023

Hroth

Oh lord, its back!!!

From the email...

Hornby’s countdown to Christmas starts now!

December is our favourite month of the year, as we get to give back to our valued customers. Our advent calendar includes an exciting giveaway every day until Christmas! What will you find behind each door?

Advent competitions will only be held on one platform a day. So, remember to check Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube or the Hornby website for your chance to enter.

So there.

I'll keep everyone updated day by day, until you're sick to the back teeth of it all!

Merry Christmas/ Bah Humbug! as you prefer...

At present, though the Hornby email says there is a calendar, there's currently no link to it.

Edited by Hroth
Update
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

If its like last year then it will be a flop for me personally. It was too social media heavy last year.

Like us, tag us, share us, tell all your friends in order to enter competitions.

Not all of us follow the social media herd.

Im proud to be disengaged from Farcebook and Instagranny etc .

But i guess the preferences of the many outway the preferences of the few :-)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Looks like it's worse that last year - they don't even tell us which social media platform they are using each day.  Twitter says:

Dec 1: Our #Hornby Festive countdown begins! Dive into the holiday spirit with our daily giveaways, like today's spotlight, which is a chance to win our Christmas bundle. Head to our Insta to enter!

Looks like it's Instagram today, but I don't have an account and to be honest, I'm not really interested in the prize either.

What I do note though is that they won't be contacting the winners directly, so not only do you have to hunt around their social media accounts to find where that day's 'competition' is, you then have to keep checking their website to see who won.  If it was you and you don't check the website, you'll never know.

• Informative/Useful 1

Well, I'm beginning to think that the new marketing team were told to set up an "Advent Calendar" but couldn't be bothered to do it the way it was previously run.

There is a T&C page https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/competitions-1/advent-calendar-terms-and-conditions

The main rule seems to be "Advent competitions will only be held on one platform a day. So, remember to check Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube or this page for your chance to enter.", which I'm beginning to think means you have to visit each platform a day until you locate the current "competition", rather than the previous Advent Calendar page that would link you to the competition platform.  Much less work for them and more traffic to their social media platforms.

Given that, unless a traditional Advent Calendar page appears on the Hornby website, it seems pointless to attempt to track their Advent competitions.

• Agree 5

25 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

I think I'll stick to the traditional festive picture/chocolate/Lego Harry Potter figure (delete according to age group)

I've one of those illuminated wooden ones that Aldi sold a few years ago.  The little drawers are currently loaded with individual choccy treats* from a Celebrations tub.

Much more enticing than doing the circuit of some tedious SocialMeeja sites.

* But not the Bounty ones!  🤢 

Edited by Hroth
spelin
  • Like 1

When you think Noch and Faller do proper advent calendars too.

And I'm sure Roco or someone did a full train in the past.

29 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

I think I'll stick to the traditional festive picture/chocolate/Lego Harry Potter figure (delete according to age group)

There is even a proper Harry Potter one.

Hmmm.... ohhhh a Whiskey one... not for children apparently.

Back to Hornby...

Day 1, look on the website, only T&Cs

look on Facebook, lovely post saying it is Day 1, to enter Goto Instagram

goto Instagram, Like the post and name your favourite loco.

Nah, I'll stick to making my new Xmas OO-9 layout.

• Agree 2

As there still doesn't appear to be a conventional Advent Calendar, I've decided not to bother tracking the disparate SM* platforms.  Sorry for bringing the subject up, thanks Hornby.

As an indication that someone at Hornby left their thinking head behind this Christmas, they've reissued a van from their original Santa Express trainset.

r60053_1_christmas-van.webp.7633d2fd213b601921aea1096b7eaee3.webp

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/santas-reindeer-wagon-r60053

and appear to have produced a rather simplistic graphical impression** of it...

If they're carrying Reindeer in an enclosed van, perhaps someone ought to inform the RSPCA!

Hey ho!  Or Ho Ho Ho!

* Hmmmmmmm.....

** Spot the graphic on the original release. The van has planking!  And doors!

Img_2679s.jpg.8daca2aac73cf9627854b7410d3b6efe.jpg

Edited by Hroth
A thort. And an extra illustration!
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

As there still doesn't appear to be a conventional Advent Calendar, I've decided not to bother tracking the disparate SM platforms.  Sorry for bringing the subject up, thanks Hornby.

As an indication that someone at Hornby left their thinking head behind this Christmas, they've reissued a van from their original Santa Express trainset.

r60053_1_christmas-van.webp.7633d2fd213b601921aea1096b7eaee3.webp

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/santas-reindeer-wagon-r60053

and appear to have produced a rather simplistic graphical impression of it...

If they're carrying Reindeer in an enclosed van, perhaps someone ought to inform the RSPCA!

Probably tinned!

Quite common in Scandiwegian countries.

• Funny 3

2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Probably tinned!

Quite common in Scandiwegian countries.

Thought that was the fermented Herring , which is illegal to open indoors....

German food critic and author Wolfgang Fassbender wrote that "the biggest challenge when eating surströmming is to vomit only after the first bite, as opposed to before"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Thought that was the fermented Herring , which is illegal to open indoors....

Bit of an urban myth. Perpetuated by QI unfortunately.

Quite commonly available. ISTR that the fishmonger in St Johns Precinct, Liverpool sells it!

Personally I find it a bit vinegary. 

I was more thinking of this.

spacer.png

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

BTW over on the Airfix section they are selling these for a reasonable price for a Xmas jumper of £28. 

gs62626_1.jpg%3Ffit=1

Trying to get things seasonal again....

Do you have to paint them before assembling?

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

BTW over on the Airfix section they are selling these for a reasonable price for a Xmas jumper of £28. 

gs62626_1.jpg%3Ffit=1

Trying to get things seasonal again....

Oh and Scalextric!

gs62632_1.jpg%3Ffit=1

We ordered one of each for Christmas Day. 
 Unfortunately, as we looked forward to receiving them…… we had our allocation cut. Seemed legit!

• Funny 2

You'd think that there would be a clearly visible running list on the Hornby website to point people in the right direction.  

Meanwhile, both Hattons and Rails are running daily "Advent Calendars" of special offers.  They're less concerned with driving people to Social Media and more concerned with driving sales!

• Like 3

Latest update.

suzanna.hayes_goldfinch appears to be the Hornby operative in charge of the Advent Calendar (She is responsible for the T&C page too...)

Hornby now seem to have an Advent Calendar page (which came up yesterday sometime)

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/competitions-1/Hornby-advent-calendar

It seems to be just a daily webpage, instead of the previous traditional "click on the door" calendar.

If you forget the link above 🤫 ,  the path in from the Hornby homepage is Christmas/Christmas Grotto/Competitions/Hornby Advent Calendar

It's buried a bit, isn't it!

So.

Day 3:

Win big with our Hobby Reward points in today's advent giveaway!

Five lucky winners will each receive 5,000 points, worth £50, and one extra-special winner will walk away with a whopping 10,000 points, worth £100!

To enter, all you need to do is complete the form below! 

The competition closes at 11:59 pm on 3.12.23.

Winner will will be announced on our socials and website at 1pm on 4.12.23

All Hornby wants is your name and email address.  As they have that already, I don't mind giving it to them again!

Fill your boots!  Or at least, have a go....

I'll give tracking this a chance.  If its a go to a Social Media site competition, I'll just mention it and if you want to see, then navigate to the website and find out more.  Otherwise, if its a Hornby Website competition, I'll copy their description.

Edited by Hroth
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well worth a punt for this one. Just enter your name and email address for a chance. You also have to have a hobby rewards account to receive the points. Worth it, just for the 5000 points tbh. Mind you, I never win anything, so hey ho......

Edited by Geep7
  • Agree 2