Advent Calendar 2023

Hroth

On 01/12/2023 at 14:53, Garry D100 said:

Doesnt say which Platform or at which Station . 🙂

It certainly isn't very easy to find, navigate and search for! Unfortunately the advent calendar's format isn't  anything at all like previous years!  Perhaps it's actually located at King's Cross Station on Platform 9¾! 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Reminds me of Douglas Adams ...

"But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

Well, the "Day 3" page had not been updated at 10am so it looks like it gets neglected until the next website competition.  Lazy beggars*!

I give up, I'm not going to trawl the sochialmeeja glory holes.....

* Other epithets are available and may be used freely by the reader!

• Friendly/supportive 1

It's their YouTube Channel today:

From facebook

Want to WIN the enchanting 'Coca-Cola Christmas set'?

Just head to our YouTube channel https://bit.ly/3EW3Tzx, subscribe, and share a cherished Christmas memory in the video comments for a chance to win!

*Please note this competition is only open to those aged 18 or over.

__

The competition closes at 11:59 pm on 4.12.23.

The winner will be announced on our socials and website at 1pm on 5.12.23

This competition is not sponsored, endorsed, or associated with Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter

T&Cs APPLY: https://bit.ly/3EW3Tzx

#Hornby #ModelRailway #HornbyAdvent #Christmas #Giveaway

Day 3: Hobby Reward Points Giveaway

Result? Well, like the lottery, it wasn't me!

Funny thing is, although the name of the 10,000 Hobbypoints winner was announced, with an invitation to contact Hornby*, the two winners of the 5,000 points were not named, so how are they to know that they have to contact Hornby to get their points?  Looks like a complete lack of organisation to me...

* "Winning participants please contact marketing@Hornby.com to claim your prize."

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I'm not bothering to waste time on it.  Last year I was getting cheesed off with the constant cycle of  'liking' it endlessly and I suspect that my family were getting fed up with me bombarding them with something that they are just not interested in.

I don't need anything and I'm not selling my integrity for something that I don't want or need.

Not even going to bother 'Following' this topic.

• Agree 1

Just now, AyJay said:

I'm not bothering to waste time on it.  Last year I was getting cheesed off with the constant cycle of  'liking' it endlessly and I suspect that my family were getting fed up with me bombarding them with something that they are just not interested in.

I don't need anything and I'm not selling my integrity for something that I don't want or need.

Not even going to bother 'Following' this topic.

Thats ok, I'm not "following" the SM competitions either.  I'll just be noting any of the website stuff. At least that is just feeding Hornby your name and email details to enter, info they probably already have!

I was still hovering around, so had to pop in.

Have you all noticed, if you watch ITV, that it is never long before there's a competition.  One of the 'ring this number and leave your details, calls are charged at £2 a pop' variety.

I get very suspicious of this and question what is going on.  Have you noticed that its always "BK88, PO box xxxxx Leeds" or somesuch.

Why is some anonymous organisation giving away massive sums of money? Why do they not name themselves? Well not only are they getting a healthy revenue stream from people ringing/texting them,  I'm guessing that they are a marketing company 'harvesting' peoples contact details to sell on to marketers of stuff.  So those hopeful punters are then endlessly bombarded with targeted marketing for stuff they don't want.   No thanks!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Aah stop moaning you lot, as kids we had to make do with Advent calendars that had a crappy picture of a bell or a fir tree behind the door. For the more adventurous you could set fire to the paper streamer links (with glue that tasted of old sardines) from your Blue Peter incendiary advent ringpiece.

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Perhaps if a number of hopeful "winners" did that they would get their collective @rses into gear!

Well, just out of curiosity, I did email Hornby and they replied almost instanty to my email.

My email to Hornby,

The runners-up are not listed on your competition website, so I am emailing just in case I am one of the runners up for the 5,000 hobby reward points.

Just of note, the advent competitions are not as easy to find on the Hornby website as compared to previous years.

Regards

John

And their reply,

Hello John,

This should be updated on our website now. We also emailed the winners already for the reward points competition on day 3 of our advent calendar. Competition Winners :: Hornby Hobbies

Winners will be updated on here every day. 😊

Kindest regards,

Noor Osman-Britton

I did look and to be fair to Hornby the runners up are now listed, but I was not one of them lol..

Edited by irishmail
spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I like the Hornby advent calendar, even if the only reason  is that it's cheaper than the Rituals one I bought for my wife. Could've gotten a nice Loco for that price.... 

IMG_20231201_193026.jpg

(I think these houses are using spare Turbomotive oil lamps for lighting)

Edited by Johan DC
  • Like 3
  • Funny 4

18 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Aah stop moaning you lot, as kids we had to make do with Advent calendars that had a crappy picture of a bell or a fir tree behind the door. For the more adventurous you could set fire to the paper streamer links (with glue that tasted of old sardines) from your Blue Peter incendiary advent ringpiece.

OT. Glue? Setting fire? I used to put a blob of flammable glue on a painted mantlepiece to set, then put an exploding cap on it and cover it with more glue. As a result, the mantlepiece had little round dots of removed paint. A match would cause the glue to fizzle nicely, then pop. Perhaps I should make a lot of them and load them into the tender of one of the modern locos that tends to fall to bits.

It appears that Hornby are having problems with the Advent Calendar this year.  There are some concerned posts on their comments section, apparently the Corgi, Airfix and Scalextric advent calenders have been affected too.

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/competitions-1/Hornby-advent-calendar

Hey ho....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

My sympathies, I know how it feels when you've no chocolates left by December 2nd 😪

I've been good this year, I still haven't taken the choccy for today out of its little drawer....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

An easy to enter Hornby website Advent Calendar competition today, for a Cola Cola train bundle.  Just give extensive details to enter!

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/competitions-1/Hornby-advent-calendar

Don’t all rush at once or you’ll crash the website.

• Funny 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It is funny that only Hornby get ridiculed for such things when I've just got an email from one of the ostensibly "superior" manufacturers for a van in Guy Fawkes livery.....

A good quality wagon in a well-executed tongue-in-cheek livery timed to arrive for a specific date (which I believe sold very well) versus...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1