Great Western Siphons by John Lewis from Wild Swan Books

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Spot the deliberate mistake, just to see if we’re paying attention?

That should be ”refrigeration”, not “refrigiration”. (middle of text on rear cover)

Looking forward to both of these books being published 🙂.

Edited by GWR57xx
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GWR57xx said:

Spot the deliberate mistake, just to see if we’re paying attention?

That should be ”refrigeration”, not “refrigiration”. (middle of text on rear cover)

Looking forward to both of these books being published 🙂.

Oh Gawd, thank you very much, being sorted!

Simon

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

So am I Gerry.

It is a really interesting subject and I hope we have done it justice with this book.

I'm not really a die hard fan of the GWR, but as with so many other aspects of the old company, when you start looking at what they did and how they did it you can not help being deeply impressed by it all.

Simon

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Ben04uk said:

Looing forward to this book as well. Does it cover Siphons in BR days up to when they were scrapped or just their GWR heyday?

Yes it does, both photographically and in the narrative. John also comments on quite late developments for individual vehicles in the tables attached to the text. The small colour section in the liveries chapter shows later BR liveries.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, drduncan said:

Will there be a softback version?

Regards

Duncan

No, hardback only.

Apart from anything else, it has too many pages to work as a soft back, and I also want it to stand uniform with John's earlier books on auto trailers and steam rail motors.

The index is nearly completed and it will be sent to printers very shortly.

Simon

• Like 12

21 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

No, hardback only.

Apart from anything else, it has too many pages to work as a soft back, and I also want it to stand uniform with John's earlier books on auto trailers and steam rail motors.

The index is nearly completed and it will be sent to printers very shortly.

Simon

@Not Jeremy,

speaking of auto trailers, is there any chance of a reprint of volume two of that excellent work by Mr Lewis? Or does the copyright not belong to you? It seems to be rarer then hens teeth to get hold of and is about the only missing volume in my collection of all things Great and Western that WSP have done!

• RMweb Gold

Sadly, a reprint would not, I think, be an economic proposition.

But if you drop me an email I may be able to help you with a copy of vol 2, new but without a dustjacket. It may take me a few days to get back to you but  I will.

Vol 1 remains in stock.

Simon

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Sadly, a reprint would not, I think, be an economic proposition.

But if you drop me an email I may be able to help you with a copy of vol 2, new but without a dustjacket. It may take me a few days to get back to you but  I will.

Vol 1 remains in stock.

Simon

Simon,

many thanks, mail sent to titfield. No major rush, just be nice to know there may be one somewhere with my name on it! (just need to smuggle it past SWYMBO now....

Thanks,

Martin

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been advised that delivery of the new siphons book will take place on Thursday 18th April, these dates are usually pretty reliable. I will get it up on to the website as soon as it arrives.

1-Siphonscover.jpg.b5cc7e58682da1ab64463871864219d2.jpg

It has been a long time coming, something of a relief to have finally got it out there....

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Siphons have landed!

Now available to order here, books are also on their way to our regular stockists.

Here is the glorious whole page image that appears on page 260. "County of Gloucester" is photographed approaching West Drayton with a lovely mixture of siphons in tow during 1931. Photograph by C. R. Gordon Stuart, copyright Rail Archive Stephenson.

1-RAS-GWRCounty3827GRG8989.jpg.93592f8766f313ea77b4999c2e12076a.jpg

And the new book on milk traffic by Matt (Karhedron) is currently being laid out...

Simon

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1