The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

Ok, there’s no denying Max’s talent but looks like it’s going to be a long long season, regardless of the number of races.

Carlos with a point to prove could be fun - maranello hath no fury like a spaniard scorned!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Red Bull will 'explode' if Horner stays: Max Verstappen's father.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/39644496/red-bull-explode-horner-stays-max-verstappen-father

In other words, he wants Mr Bean to continue winning, and that will (in his own estimation), only be possible if he, Old Mr Bean, can throw his weight and "influence" about more effectively without the Ginger Whinger muddying the waters.

Let the Verstappen Money Making Machine roll on and prosper!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Leclerc beaten turn 1 race 1. Had outside to be inside in turn 2 but braked because he knew crashstappen wouldn't give him room.

No reason for Max to give him room at any point through the rest of the season now.

• Agree 2

Apart from Sainz not giving a stuff about team orders and going hell for leather it looks like this season could be a carbon copy of last. Liberty Media may not be too happy about that as viewers switch off around the world.

All that can be hoped for is RB self destructing.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, SR71 said:

Leclerc beaten turn 1 race 1. Had outside to be inside in turn 2 but braked because he knew crashstappen wouldn't give him room.

No reason for Max to give him room at any point through the rest of the season now.

Pavlovian conditioning at work!

Verstappen has Leclerc well trained...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gareth Collier said:

Apart from Sainz not giving a stuff about team orders and going hell for leather it looks like this season could be a carbon copy of last. Liberty Media may not be too happy about that as viewers switch off around the world.

All that can be hoped for is RB self destructing.

Don't know about the last but the reviews for the latest Drive To Survive are dire. They are saying what I always thought but that's what grew the US audience and another season like last will have them switching off again.

Watched the Daytona 500 last week and it had far more interest and better racing.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Red Bull will 'explode' if Horner stays: Max Verstappen's father.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/39644496/red-bull-explode-horner-stays-max-verstappen-father

Also now on the BBC, now that Verstappen senior has also given an interview to De Telegraaf newspaper (Dutch)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/68461379

I wonder what the odds are on CH going before next weekends Grand Prix in Saudi Arabia?

Edited by 4630
To correct my spelling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’m led to believe verstappen senior is a nasty piece of work 

Like father, like son. 

Although to give him some credit, Max is the more successful driver by some margin. 

• Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

In the heady days when I was in contact with Dutch racing fans, they certainly weren't keen on "Jos the boss", finding countryman Jan Lammers much more to their taste. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

13 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Like father, like son. 

Although to give him some credit, Max is the more successful driver by some margin. 

That must hurt....

• Funny 2

30 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’m led to believe verstappen senior is a nasty piece of work 

17 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Like father, like son. 

Not sure the son is like the father given some of the allegations against the senior Verstappen (and Verstappen Snr's father too).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Not sure the son is like the father given some of the allegations against the senior Verstappen (and Verstappen Snr's father too).

You might need to elaborate on that as those allegations have passed me by.

3 minutes ago, 4630 said:

You might need to elaborate on that as those allegations have passed me by.

He is alleged (and in once case proven) to be handy with his fists and also one allegation involving a car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos_Verstappen

The only bad thing I know about junior is that he is aggressive on the track but that doesn't translate he is the same off the track.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

12 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The only bad thing I know about junior is that he is aggressive on the track but that doesn't translate he is the same off the track.

I think Esteban Ocon may have a different perspective.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, 4630 said:

Also now on the BBC, now that Verstappen senior has also given an interview to De Telegraaf newspaper (Dutch)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/68461379

I wonder what the odds are on CH going before next weekends Grand Prix in Saudi Arabia?

As serious as the coco pops stories are, it would be wrong for Whinger to be ousted by an ex-third rate driver with a record of off track violence and a permanent stain in the RB garage.  Let RB and the FIA sort it out, not be influenced by Verstappen snr.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Parents often 'live' through the offspring's sporting success - just watch Pony Club games! 

ISTR Anthony Hamilton tried to exert influence within Mercedes in the early years of Lewis's success, but I think it was Lewis himself who sorted that out. Jenson Button's dad never interfered in his son's F1 career as far as the press were aware. And we have no idea what Nelson Piquet Senior thought about his son's involvement in Crashgate.  

• Like 5