The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Looks like the successful appendix removal has given him 0.2 seconds off a lap.

Must have been a heavy appendix if the weight drop has shaved that much of a lap. Before you know it they'll be having them removed 😂

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Gareth Collier said:

Must have been a heavy appendix if the weight drop has shaved that much of a lap. Before you know it they'll be having them removed 😂

And other parts that may be deemed surplus to requirements. 😃

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

And a decent penalty for what could have been a far worse accident.

I think Russell's avoiding actual contact helped Alonso's case. But seemingly did the Merc no good!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

NOTE = APPLOGISES for anyone living between the South Coast and the Midlands as you may all have heard my screaming, yelling, whooping and cheering on Laps 2 and 3. 😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

Looks like I'll be watching the highlights on C4*, if only to see that retirement...

Schadenfreude was never so sweet!

* and found that C4 had put them on so 'effin early that I missed them even on +1.  C4 finally put it on catchup and I watched the fun bits!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I think Alonso should have been disqualified as it was NO POINTS for GR as a direct result of his dirty tactics.

I enjoy your F1 comments Andrew but can't agree with your view of the Alonso/Russell incident. NO contact as far as I could see and we all know how tricky Alonso can be defending his position. After all it is motor racing. Perhaps young Russell will learn from this incident? He needs to since he has lost a good position twice now on the last few laps of a race by placing the car in the wall etc....

For me it was the perfect race with Ferrari 1 nd 2 who could ask for anything more? I am though a very long time Ferrari supporter so very partial to a red car win.

Kind regards,

48 minutes ago, 30368 said:

I enjoy your F1 comments Andrew but can't agree with your view of the Alonso/Russell incident. NO contact as far as I could see and we all know how tricky Alonso can be defending his position. After all it is motor racing. Perhaps young Russell will learn from this incident? He needs to since he has lost a good position twice now on the last few laps of a race by placing the car in the wall etc....

No, there wasn't any contact but only because Russell managed to avoid him. The stewards report stated Alonso lifted, braked and down shifted over 100 meters earlier than any other lap and that he had driven in a potentially dangerous manner which is why he was penalised. All they couldn't establish was whether it was because he had decided to take a new line out of the next corner as he claimed or to put Russell in the wall.

What is there to learn for young Russell? The stewards clearly didn't think Russell was at fault with 100% of the blame put on Alonso.

Sorry, but I can't agree with your view of it and must go with the stewards interpretation of it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Do you recall the days when drivers used to accuse others of 'brake-testing' them? Bully-boy tactics. Alonso would be a major offender there. These regs stamped that behaviour out, and a good thing too. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Alonso got caught out using old tricks, his comment he was focused ahead not behind is rubbish, he knew exactly where George was and misjudged the unsettle him tactic. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, 30368 said:

The stewards disagree with you.

Their ruling indicates that drivers should be racing & that suddenly slowing is an unfair way to trick those following.

The stewards opinion is more important than that of those of the (average?) viewer.

I have looked through the F1 sporting regs but guidelines on acceptable racing practices seem to be elsewhere. I do not believe in 'etiquette' & 'unwritten rules'. The rules should define everything which is allowed & stewards (or umpires/referees in other sports) should never have to arbitrarily decide on something not covered by the rules.

• Like 4

A good race, with the potential for catching/passing right up to the final VSC lap.

I'm intrigued that both Lewis and George commented on the speed of Checko's Red Bull.  Is there an implication that something isn't quite legal (despite Max's car having passed scrutiny previous time out)?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, EddieB said:

A good race, with the potential for catching/passing right up to the final VSC lap.

I'm intrigued that both Lewis and George commented on the speed of Checko's Red Bull.  Is there an implication that something isn't quite legal (despite Max's car having passed scrutiny previous time out)?

Red Bull aero is the mutts, I suggest. 

• Agree 2

Also, regarding the Alonso / Russell incident. Alonso got a penalty but still got points, Russel got nothing.

BUT what is still unknown is whether Russels Car suffered any Engine or Gearbox damage that could cost him to use an extra component from his allocation. If that is the case, (and we wont know until its examined), I think the Stewards should re look at Alonso's penalty, BUT OF COURSE THEY WONT. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1