The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

4 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

I think Lando might disagree.

Lando has a sniff at one day being a world champ and he is growing still.  He's hungry and that makes him take risks, ditto George.

Fernando also has unfinished business as he should have won more than he has but that's another story.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, didcot said:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.in-tribute-david-brabham-remembers-his-former-team-mate-roland-ratzenberger.1z8PJo5DHfemJis12AkBhy.html

30 years ago Roland Ratzenberger sadly died at the awful Imola weekend in 1994. Often over shadowed by the death of Ayrton Senna the following day. 

I remember it like yesterday. Watching the qualifying live on Eurosport. It was obviously very serious and I just had a gut feeling that it was fatal. John Watson and Allard Kalph (sorry if that's the wrong spelling) were doing the commentary from the same feed. The pictures kept coming and I remember JW almost pleading with whoever was in charge of the TV to cut the feed...

Senna too but was out at the time and only heard later.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't remember much about the details from the time but I was watching it. Ratzenberger's death had already left me feeling rather off, and followed by Senna was even worse. About all I can remember was Murray Walker sounding very subdued for once, wishing the race would just be stopped.

Wasn't there also an incident with a tyre bouncing off and injuring someone in the same race?

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Wasn't there also an incident with a tyre bouncing off and injuring someone in the same race?

Yes I think you're right. I believe as a result of an accident involving Rubens Barichello...

I'm not sure Barrichello was racing following his pirouette along the catch fence. I seem to remember a start incident with JJLehto and wheels into the crowd. I think there was a pit incident as well which brought in the speed limit. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, didcot said:

I'm not sure Barrichello was racing following his pirouette along the catch fence. I seem to remember a start incident with JJLehto and wheels into the crowd. I think there was a pit incident as well which brought in the speed limit. 

Yes, that sounds familiar. What a weekend...

• Agree 1

Michele Alboreto's Minardi shed its right rear wheel on leaving the pits after its second stop.  Two Ferrari mechanics and two Lotus mechanics were hit by the errant wheel and required hospital treatment.

More seriously, and oft-overlooked, Rubens Barichello had a fairly major crash at the Variante Bassa during the first qualifying session on the Friday.  He swallowed his tongue in the accident but Dr Sid Watkins managed to restore his airway before he was taken to hospital.  He also suffered a sprained wrist and a broken nose, and did not take part in later qualifying, or the race.

There were also minor injuries to a police officer and eight spectators from flying debris resulting from the collision at the start of the race between Pedro Lamy's Lotus and JJ Lehto's stalled Benetton.  That was the incident which led to the ridiculously inadequate safety car (an Opel Vectra, more of a repmobile than a high performance car suitable for piloting a pack of F1 cars around a circuit - one wonders whether there might have been money in the form of sponsorship involved in that choice) being deployed, the slow pace of which caused tyre temperatures on the race cars to fall - which in turn meant that the tyre pressures dropped - either or both of which may have been a contributory factor in Senna's loss of control, over and above the primary factor of the failure in his car's steering column.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Sid Watkins biography is a very good read. He did a lot behind the scenes with regards to safety. Frank Williams amongst others owed him their life and careers.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Referencing nothing but my own thoughts...

If the rumoured mass exodus from Red Bull turns out to be true (particularly MV) then I would suspect some form of cheating will come to light shortly after. Spice allegations fall out perhaps leading to some home truths being more widely known in the team. Those that can, getting out before the FIA come in.

Anyone know any dodgy accountants...?

Edited by SR71
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 29/04/2024 at 04:22, woodenhead said:

Lando has a sniff at one day being a world champ and he is growing still.  He's hungry and that makes him take risks, ditto George.

Fernando also has unfinished business as he should have won more than he has but that's another story.

Needs to learn how to win a race first.

Edited by OnTheBranchline

1 hour ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Apart from a rain effected race a few years back where Lando/the team got their tactics wrong right at the end he needs to have a car capable of winning a race first. It's nothing to do with learning how to win a race.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, didcot said:

Out of all the crashes Barrichello's looked the worst.

I'm sort of glad F1 isn't at Imola this weekend. 

It's quite a different circuit these days, but yeah, probably wouldn't be appropriate on this particular anniversary.

5 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

So he's never won a race before entering F1? That must make him virtually unique!

• Like 2

Interesting. I understood there was a (possibly unofficial) moratorium on breaking news in F1 on 1st May each year, given the Senna anniversary, but perhaps this news is just too big to wait until tomorrow.

So, where will Mr Newey go next?

Do you think every F1 team (apart from Red Bull and VisaCashCrapRBwhateverthingy) are now playing a game of 'throw the cash at the designer'?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

So, where will Mr Newey go next?

Do you think every F1 team (apart from Red Bull and VisaCashCrapRBwhateverthingy) are now playing a game of 'throw the cash at the designer'?

McLaren and Mercedes have intimated they are not interested.  Aston is has daddy issues and the rest probably won't win against Ferrari.

• Agree 3

The thing that still gets me is that if Ford had managed to get Newey then they wouldn’t have sold Jaguar to Red Bull in the first place.

now Ford are to partner the team they once owned with the designer they couldn’t get having left!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3