The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

• RMweb Premium

I'm quite pleased I turned the TV on for BBC news to immediately tell me the result. Saved me watching .

Maybe the same will happen tomorrow. I think I'll be ok with that...

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

There was a race?????

🤪

Welllllll, Hammy made a lot of places....somewhere.  I was gutted for Ricciardo though.  Talk about bad luck, but Stroll is just not F1 material, proven yet again.  Blaming DannyRic for braking 'for nothing' when there were two cars in front of him all nose to tail.  We used to call it driving without due care and attention.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Five events (I won't call them races) into the season and I am proud to say that I've not bothered to watch any of them.

For God's sake, give us some unpredictability.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Well for once the spraint qualifying and sub-race had its moments, and well done for Lando/his team for their tactical nous to beat one RB in the race proper.

A wet track does indeed level the field, but it did look that the surface was unduly slippery after having being recoated.  Having said that, compared with many/most it's a good circuit, with both expected (DRS) and unexpected overtaking opportunities.  Marshalling could have been better with the time taken to call VSC/SC out for Bottas.

Should Stroll have points on his licence for that incident?  It seems worse than the rather aggressive response from Alonso in the spraint race which was punished.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It's only a snoozefest if you focus on the winner and ignore the rest of the field.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see someone other than Verstappen/Red Bull winning but it's still interesting to watch Sainz proving he has every right to a drive with any of the top-level teams, Ricciardo's survival struggles, Norris building his reputation and Alonso adding to his god-like status.

The less said about Stroll, the better. If daddy didn't own the team he would have been a goner long ago!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Interestingly Ricciardo also hit Piastri in the same incident, damaging his diffuser - before Stroll hit him.

Severity of the impact the deciding point perhaps, and the fact Stroll can be seen not looking at the traffic ahead? A love kiss between the Aussies, vs Stroll slamming into the rear, lifting Ricciardo up into the air.

Lance Stroll seems well out of his depth, but unless daddy buys a Formula E team I can't see him shifting.

Jo

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 21/04/2024 at 20:18, The Lurker said:

Interestingly Ricciardo also hit Piastri in the same incident, damaging his diffuser - before Stroll hit him.

Whereabouts on this does he hit Piastri before Stroll ploughed in to him?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Have to say I presumed the speculation to be nonsense but Newey moving on is a surprise.

Could he be going to Mercedes? I can't see him wanting to move to Italy. Toto has just been throwing everyone off with the Max stuff. Although with how rude and ungrateful Max is on the radio I can understand Adrian not wanting to provide him with a car.

• Like 2

Looking at the skintones, it seems that something went wrong with the colour balance in the Photoshop workflow...

Edited by Hroth
Just a bit of rephrasing...
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Have to say I presumed the speculation to be nonsense but Newey moving on is a surprise.

Could he be going to Mercedes? I can't see him wanting to move to Italy. Toto has just been throwing everyone off with the Max stuff. Although with how rude and ungrateful Max is on the radio I can understand Adrian not wanting to provide him with a car.

Don't think it's Verstappen junior that he takes issue with, he is wanting out of the political side of the business with the infighting between all those non technical, non driving elements and their vested interests.

Newey is so highly regarded and highly sought after that clearly he was able to command his own terms when employed by Red Bull and equally when he chooses to leave he gets to choose the manner and the timing and how long a sabattical (sounds like zero).  There cannot be many people in such a technically driven sport that have that sort of power.  The question is when did other teams begin earnestly courting him, did for example Hamilton have an idea when he jumped ship.  Would be most ironic if he went to Mercedes, but Ferrari, Aston or McLaren would love to have him.   Curveball - he goes back to Williams and  Albon is leading the F1 tables in 2026!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Looking at the skintones, it seems that something went wrong with the colour balance in the Photoshop workflow...

It's just really cold this time of year in Miami.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Actually, this is sad. I am no Red Bull fan, and their domination doesn't do anything for me or the sport, but they are what they are, very good at C21 F1. Newey is that peerless human - a gifted creative with supreme tech capabilities. He thrives, like many other creative people, in an environment that is tranquil, stable, single-minded. If, as we are told, Horner's unwise woman-management skills have burst the bubble, I see that as sad. Whether the power struggle is really the root cause of all this, including the claims of the indignant lady employee, we may never know, but it does the sport no favours. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Actually, this is sad. I am no Red Bull fan, and their domination doesn't do anything for me or the sport, but they are what they are, very good at C21 F1. Newey is that peerless human - a gifted creative with supreme tech capabilities. He thrives, like many other creative people, in an environment that is tranquil, stable, single-minded. If, as we are told, Horner's unwise woman-management skills have burst the bubble, I see that as sad. Whether the power struggle is really the root cause of all this, including the claims of the indignant lady employee, we may never know, but it does the sport no favours. 

2024 is turning into a legendary season for stuff happening off the track.

• Agree 2