Hornby 2024 range announcements

AY Mod

Sadly there is nothing much to float my hype boat. Maybe we will get more offerings in 2025 from Hornby but I am not holding my breath on this. Other brands will be getting my custom this year. With the recent bad news about Hattons, Warley and the basic offerings from Hornby. I am getting concerned about the future range of model trains being offered if at all. I will hope and pray that things will right themselves 😥.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Sadly there is nothing much to float my hype boat. Maybe we will get more offerings in 2025 from Hornby but I am not holding my breath on this. Other brands will be getting my custom this year. With the recent bad news about Hattons, Warley and the basic offerings from Hornby. I am getting concerned about the future range of model trains being offered if at all. I will hope and pray that things will right themselves 😥.

Your mssing the fact their are "basic offering" is because their is such a huge backlog of models to come out. Have a look at Kernows 2024 Hornby list which extends to 209 models https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/765/Hornby-2024-Range

• Agree 5

Just now, Butler Henderson said:

Your mssing the fact their are "basic offering" is because their is such a huge backlog of models to come out. Have a look at Kernows 2024 Hornby list which extends to 209 models https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/765/Hornby-2024-Range

Well considering all that investment into their 2022 Class 60 upgrades to 21 pin and looking at the stats of the popularity of 60001/2 being low. I would have thought perhaps a Colas model of 60056 or something would have been added into the range. Also the sheer lack of EWS Class 60's since 2010 also was missed. No matter though to me because I have my needs catered for elsewhere. Thanks for the link though buddy :).

Just now, The Meerkat said:

some in that list is the 2023 range but like you said there big back log

Thats the point I was making; Kernow are counting everything still missing from previous years as the 2024 range, In itself its not wholly extensive as it missing the two extra 88DS's that have cropped up on Hornbys list of April releases.

One problem I have found with the range is the lack of coaches for the steam engines to haul. As far as I can see the only sets of coaches you can buy in the main range are the Isle of Wight and Great Western 4-wheel coaches, the Coronation Scot and Coronation coaches.

For instance I cannot see any British Railways or LMS Stanier maroon coaches and there are only a few British Railways crimson and cream and green coaches.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

One problem I have found with the range is the lack of coaches for the steam engines to haul. As far as I can see the only sets of coaches you can buy in the main range are the Isle of Wight and Great Western 4-wheel coaches, the Coronation Scot and Coronation coaches.

For instance I cannot see any British Railways or LMS Stanier maroon coaches and there are only a few British Railways crimson and cream and green coaches.

Are any of those available secondhand? 

On 14/01/2024 at 22:22, sjp23480 said:

Building on my comments in the Hornby 2022 Black 5 new tooling thread on the very disappointing Hornby video presentations.

What he said:

How not to launch a product? | Hornby 2024 Range …: https://youtu.be/iTrtXKpc6l0

He makes his points well. For me, the outstanding Accurascale launch was the Manor. We found out what the model was going to be when a real Manor emerged from the morning mist. Railroad? American term, inappropriate for Bristish models. The range is not for me but I think it’s a clever way to sell models from old tooling. I got one for my grandson – it was just the job.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Railroad? American term, inappropriate for British models.

Nerd mode, but technically railroad was a common term in the UK for railways up until about the 1850s (although usually written as "rail road") 😉

But I do agree with you, it immediately makes me think of North American prototype these days and doesn't really get across the point of the range.

• Like 2

The problem with Railroad steam models, at least Era 3 and later, is that they omit cab glazing, and this is really obvious.  I'm sure it saves only pennies but pushes people to the main range instead.  There should be a good market for easy glazing kits.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Nerd mode, but technically railroad was a common term in the UK for railways up until about the 1850s (although usually written as "rail road") 😉

But I do agree with you, it immediately makes me think of North American prototype these days and doesn't really get across the point of the range.

Thanks for that info, I have a snippet from an 1842 map of Farnborough that shows what is now the the South West Mainline railway as being called "The London and South-Western Rail-Road". When I first noticed it, it wasn't sure if it was just the way the surveyor had decided to name the line and not the official name, but your comment  clarifies things.

Edited by 5Dublo2
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

The problem with Railroad steam models, at least Era 3 and later, is that they omit cab glazing, and this is really obvious.  I'm sure it saves only pennies but pushes people to the main range instead.  There should be a good market for easy glazing kits.

The problem with starting with, say adding glazing is where do you stop. You say glazing. Hornby might say ok, then someone says sprung buffers it’s not going to add much or better lining, five poll motors etc etc. before you know where you are you getting into what ruined what was a good idea which could have worked well, design clever.
where it was a good idea but didn’t tick all the different boxes that everyone wanted. 

it you want glazing, get out some PVA and a craft knife,  clear plastic do some, modelling. Nothing hard about it and it might start you of down a new road that you enjoy. 

• Agree 1

On the other hand Hornby do glazing for the more deluxe models of Tornado and if they were to make that glazing available I would think there would be lot of interested purchases but sadly any Hornby spares even the few they list are as rare as Rocking Horse droppings. 

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

On the other hand Hornby do glazing for the more deluxe models of Tornado and if they were to make that glazing available I would think there would be lot of interested purchases but sadly any Hornby spares even the few they list are as rare as Rocking Horse droppings. 

As with all components from RTR models nowadays, there isn't a cost-effective mechanism for packaging, shipping and distribution.

The company orders a fixed number of models, packed and ready for distribution. Any spares for warranty repairs are probably complete models for breaking down.

Marketing components is just not worth the effort involved when the factory is distant by half way round the world.

CJI.

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

Way back in the 1980s there were companies that made replacement glazing, sadly no more. I upgraded my Railroad models with Perspex from Peco point packets and special glazing glue. Whatever you call those windows on the cab facing forwards are the most difficult where I found the glue where you basically pull a film was brilliant.

15 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Joined up thinking has never been a Hornby strength for some years, just an assortment of models which have little authenticity between them.

Maybe look at all these "newer" companies. Just one off models with virtually nothing in common at all.

Where are all the locomotives for the Accurascale Chaldrons? Not one suitable locomotive available RTR and the only steam loco that they have made so far is a GWR 4-6-0 with GWR and GER tanks to follow.

Where are all the coaches to go behind Rapido's Stirling Single? Or anything to go behind the  Jones Goods?

KR Models is a range of one offs.

Again, people are knocking Hornby for doing things yet the opposition are doing exactly the same with no comment.

If anything Hornby are vastly better at making a coherent range than any of the manufacturers with Bachmann a close second. They make coaches for all of the Big Four and most eras of BR. They make half a dozen brake vans. So most things in Hornby's catalogue does have something to go behind it!

Jason

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 3

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Where are all the locomotives for the Accurascale Chaldrons? Not one suitable locomotive available RTR and the only steam loco that they have made so far is a GWR 4-6-0 with GWR and GER tanks to follow.

A poor example - it was made clear when the Chaldrons were announced that they were expected to run with locos made by other people:

There has been a surge in interest in the birth of the railways, along with intrigue in pre-grouping and the Victorian era with recent locomotive releases, not to mention the interest in industrial heritage and its railways.  With this in mind, the Chaldrons are a logical release to satisfy these growing areas of interest within the hobby. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Pteremy said:

A poor example - it was made clear when the Chaldrons were announced that they were expected to run with locos made by other people:

There has been a surge in interest in the birth of the railways, along with intrigue in pre-grouping and the Victorian era with recent locomotive releases, not to mention the interest in industrial heritage and its railways.  With this in mind, the Chaldrons are a logical release to satisfy these growing areas of interest within the hobby. 

Yup, and now Hornby are indeed making a model suitable to run with the chaldrons. The system works! 😄

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Maybe look at all these "newer" companies. Just one off models with virtually nothing in common at all.

Where are all the coaches to go behind Rapido's Stirling Single? Or anything to go behind the  Jones Goods?

KR Models is a range of one offs.

Again, people are knocking Hornby for doing things yet the opposition are doing exactly the same with no comment.

If anything Hornby are vastly better at making a coherent range than any of the manufacturers with Bachmann a close second. They make coaches for all of the Big Four and most eras of BR. They make half a dozen brake vans. So most things in Hornby's catalogue does have something to go behind it!

Jason

Hornby are only making two brake vans: R6368 BR.20T Brake Van -Era 4/5 in the Railroad range and R60078 ZUA 'Shark' Ballast Plough. Loadhaul - Era 8 in the Hornby Range. 

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. The GNER Mk3s are lovely but there didn't seem to be much else in the way of coaching stock, particularly steam era carriages? I even went back to the 2023 range announcement to see what was in that - answer, no new tooling, but a slightly wider range of prototypes including LNER Gresleys, Era 1 coach packs, and MK3s in Blue/Grey and Intercity:

Maybe it's just catching up with the backlog? But you would have thought that some of the existing tooling they've got could have warranted a re-run if there were production slots available e.g. Mk1s, Staniers, Colletts etc?

• Like 1