Hattons Model Railways to close

AY Mod

3 minutes ago, Metropolitan said:

Of course they have! Or are about to. Do you think all was well? It happens.

Could of banked you cash then called in receivers then kiss you cash good buy....but it appears that is not the case ...hence there announcement...

Hope all is well with your order and it is completed or I'm sure a phone call will sort it out....if you do call be nice to the staff....it won't be there best day at work!

• Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, scots region said:

I just feel… numb. This is going to leave such a hole in the market. Are we are even going to have a hobby in a few years?

Yes - of course we are...

As sudden, sad, shocking and distressing as this news is (and not wishing to downplay its significant consequences on the Hattons staff their friends and familes etc) we are not talking about the demise of a large manufacturer here....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I am not a fan of Hatton's this news is still a real surprise. I wish all the staff well in getting new jobs as soon as they possibly can. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

So you have access to their accounts?

It is perfectly possible for a company to decide that future prospects are not positive, and to decide to run down activities whilst still remaining solvent.

If you have nothing positive to contribute, may I suggest that you resist the urge to post vindictive drivel?

John Isherwood.

Compoloiments to the managemengt for realising the inevitable before it was to late and ensuring that everyone will get paid

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 2

5 minutes ago, richard.h said:

After Brexit they were the only company who shipped through Ireland, I think. so the parcels arrived all duties paid to my door, with everyone else it was necessary to go down to the Post Office and pay import charges and taxes before they were released.

Not to point out the obvious, but with their popularity around the world this can't have helped if they were doing it for all overseas orders...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I just don't know what to say.

I first got into British OO back in December 2020, and all I could find was the old Dublo, Triang and Mainline (mostly gostude) listings in eBay.

Discovering Hatton's a few weeks later (especially with their great international shipping prices), I was like a kid in the biggest candy store in the universe.

Since then, I'd say a good 95% of anything model railway-related that I own has come from Hatton's. I check the second-hand listings religiously multiple times every day, (even on vacation!) Am I obsessed?

Thanks to their great sales back in November, I was able to pick up a ton of stuff I'd been wanting for ages at bargain prices. It's sad to realize now that those sales were probably part of the wind down of stock. Their customer service folks have always been absolutely the best and I hate it for them to be losing the jobs they did so well.

Hatton's was life. I'm not sure what to do now.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Really sad news for the staff. Have used Hattons in the past many times. But...they are one of the original 'box shifters' - buy in bulk, knock em out cheap and quick..maybe had favour with the manufacturers in their ability to take and shift stock. This may have came at a cost to the myriad of smaller high street model shops. Maybe when they have wound up those that used them will find a more local model shop to order their supplies in from, might cost a little more and take a day extra to get to you but, the independents are most likely, really struggling right now. 

• Like 1

Again, genuinely shocked to hear of this and condolences to the staff, particularly those who have handled my orders in the past.

It seems inconceivable that no part of the business was deemed to be viable.

However Hattons "Bargains" are no longer the "Bargains" they once were and their secondhand side seemed to be massively overpriced and contained quite a lot of "tat". And managing to fall out with their two biggest suppliers must have had an impact on sales. 

We know how much model prices have risen in the last 15-20 years, even when wider inflation was relatively low, which will have impacted the number (if not volume) of sales. I have suggested for a while that the move towards more expensive models is not sustainable in the long term, and I wonder if this is the start of that particular bubble beginning to burst.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Sorry to be repetitive, but I too am shocked and saddened by the announcement.  I have used Hattons over the past 35 years and have found their website photos of stock really useful when making choices. They even maintained the archive pages which proved equally as useful when buying used stuff on ebay.

I started my OO DCC and sound experience with them and found their customer service excellent for advice.  Their Youtube channel must have provided so much help to both established and fledgling railway modellers.

Although I have spent far more with RoS than Hattons over the past few years  (despite a large order of Rapido wagons when Hattons had some of them ''on sale' last year), I think that the former has a lot of work to do to equal what we are losing with the demise of Hattons.

I can only wish the best for the future to the Hatton family and their employees.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by MartinTrucks
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

Compoloiments to the managemengt for realising the inevitable before it was to late and ensuring that everyone will get paid

Absolutely, kudos to Hattons for that, makes a refreshing change to the 'take their money and put the shutters down' approach so common in business, a fairly small time property developer round my way ceased trading recently, owes 15 million quid to suppliers and other creditors.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Shocked, didn't expect that news - saddened for those who are losing jobs and for those who've helped bring models to a competitive market. Not an easy thing to do.

Hopefully an orderly closure allowing staff time to move on to other things. The customer service staff were always polite on the phones and emails.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I had to check that April hadn't come early, this news just doesn't seem real. Without doubt the go-to for so many of us, and with such a broad advertising presence they've been a major face of the hobby for longer than I can remember. I wonder what has triggered their action, it is hugely concerning towards the bigger picture. But cudos for recognising that things can't continue and making such a difficult decision so that the wind down can hopefully at least be managed in an organised way. My sympathies to all involved.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, irishmail said:

Very sad news indeed. Disapointing for us modellers not living in the UK as they were very effiecent with thier service despite the hassle of 'Brexit'!!

Also would like to say that Hatton's customer service was/is first class as when I have had any issues with orders they were sorted out very quickly.

Like many of us who live 'overseas' they were indeed our 'Local' model shop.

Could not agree more!    To us ex.Pats in Europe the combination of the Trunk and the ability to use the IOSS system whereby we only paid UK Vat under €150 was a gosend to us.  Does anyone know of a UK retailer who also uses the IOSS system?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

. And managing to fall out with their two biggest suppliers must have had an impact on sales. 

i did not know they fell out with Hornby, i thought it was just Bachmann,  i know Hornby wasn't happy over the terrier but thought that was sorted?

its sad for the staff and TBH i never thought hattons would go,  they will be leaving a big hole in the model world,  i last brought the RHTT and royal train coach pack from them,  really never thought i would see hattons go

• RMweb Gold

I'll just echo the sentiment of most, and say I'm completely shocked at this news.

My sympathies to all the staff at Hatton's, and really wish them well for the future.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Come to think of it I'm not at all surprised when I consider that the price of a small steam loco which has doubled in price within 2 years, 207 quid for a class 2 is way beyond most people's pocket. Prices have doubled but income has not!

I fear that this is the start of an avalanche and am glad that I can scratch build! 

• Agree 1

Its a bit of a suprise, but in a way not a surprise given what I think the market conditions are like. I don't know any more than other posters, so won't speculate further, but times are certainly tough and I do hope a pheonix arises somehow.

• Like 2

Wish all the Hattons employees well with whatever comes out of this.  I assume a vacuum will be created by this, and something might be announced in the next few days or weeks

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Metropolitan said:

Of course they have! Or are about to. Do you think all was well? It happens. They are done and decided to pull the plug. I wonder what state the other main online retailers are in?

Going Bust means one or more of the following.

Cash flow problems - can't pay your supplier(s), so no stock

Can't pay your employees, so they leave.

Can't service your loan(s) so the bank forecloses

Etc.

From what we understand this has not happened with Hattons, who have decided that they will likely not be able to make a working profit in the future so are managing an orderly closure.

Everyone will get paid what they are owed.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

Very sad to hear. Hattons helped me back into the hobby during lockdown and their customer service has always been top notch, even if I grumbled at some of the second-hand pricing sometimes, they've consistently been good value.

My condolences to all the staff and here's hoping they can successfully move on to pastures new.

• Like 6